• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Heavyweight Tees Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's popular heavyweight tees are now restocked, in three styles, so there is something for every style. They are available in three classic colors: white, black, and the heather grey featured here.. These high quality tees are staples that work in every seasons. Check them out here here

If you have any questions for the designer, please, he is a valued and active member and sponsor of the community, and can be found here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was Brogue's Trunk Show with Steve Reinhart in attendance. Some interesting new materials such as Saddle Calfskin in Tan, Tan Chamois, and Clay Nubuck. Here is one of Brogue's latest make-ups on Saddle Tan Calfskin (Brogue Bronco Blucher)
1000007842.jpg

Thought I took photos of Tan Chamois and Clay Nubuck, but unfortunately didn't. I can describe Clay Nubuck as a sort of greenish gray. Very interesting consistency to the Clay Nubuck. It's not a solid color like we've seen in other Nubuck make-ups.

Since it was relatively quiet during my visit, decided to get sized for the 379X last. Brogue has many shoes and boots on this last and Mack advised me to try my Barrie size. We did try a few others just to see, but same size as Barrie worked very well for me. The toe box is very round and I could feel quite a bit of support beneath my arches. Tried to take a few on-feet pics of the 379x lasted Bronco Blucher I Saddle Tan Calfskin but I'm just not good at taking photos:
1000007838.jpg

1000007839.jpg

Here is the Color 8 Ruby Hill plain toe boot
1000007840.jpg

Side-by-side comparison with Barrie (can see how much fuller and rounder the toe is):
1000007841.jpg

Also got sized on Aberdeen. The toe box tapers similar like Plaza as both lasts make my pinky toes uncomfortable. I've found that I either need to stretch the shoes or take a half-size up. Aberdeen works for my feet in my Brannock size.

Gustaf

Reaction score
For what it’s worth: I have the unlined Harvard in brown shell in size UK8.5E and the 986 in US9D. Similar in length, the Harvard is a little slimmer at the front and possibly also in the heel. Not by much, though.
As is seen in the picture below - and mentioned above - the instep on the Harvard is a little higher. But even for me, who doesn’t have a high instep, it works with no problem at all since the overall fit is very good (on my feet).
Harvard on the left foot:
View attachment 2050909

@Franky I take the Harvard in UK 8.5E and the 986 in US 8.5C/E.

Harvard fit is OK. 986 fit like slippers. There’s really no comparison to any other loafer I’ve tried. I sold my Harvards and am about to sell my Bostons. Only problem with LHS is availability here in the EU.

Haven’t tried 986 in US 9D yet but I think this size might work just as well or even marginally better for me than 8.5C/E so I am keen to try it. The C/E is just a tad wider than necessary, which is mostly an aesthetic consideration.

GGMac

Reaction score
View attachment 2053381
What kind of make up is the one circled? Would be interested. Only if it had indy side stitching, I would jump on the pair.
Hard to tell with certainty but it looks like the new clay Nubuck grain leather. Several Indy makeups in this leather will be released later this year and early next from my understanding.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What even is an Alden trunk show? Did they have some new pre-order materials?

Usually it means the Alden sales rep for the region comes, they showcase some new samples (new leathers and/or new patterns), they usually have a wider array of stock shoe sample pairs than the store usually carries, and the store might offer something like free shoe trees. Occasionally the store will use the opportunity to offer attendees a rare shell pre-order, or may hold back a rare shell run just to offer folks who come to the event.

For example, David Wood in Portland, Maine had an Alden trunk show yesterday. @BAK brought a new sample, which was a machine-stitched NST boot on the 379X last with an external heel counter. Alden has a few recent/new leathers (clay nubuck grain, tan chamois, saddle calfskin, etc.) which were interesting to see, as well.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2053381
What kind of make up is the one circled? Would be interested. Only if it had indy side stitching, I would jump on the pair.
Just an Alden rep sample. Don’t think anyone’s made it yet.
This is the new Clay Nubuck.

Also, Steve had some samples with the quarter panel like we see on Viberg Service Boots and not just foxing stitching that goes to the backstay. They said they can also do that, again, which should make for some interesting boot make-ups!

Fun fact, the Indy boot to the left of the circled boot is an Original Indy boot from the 70's. This is something Steve brings with him to his Trunk Shows and it has the canvas lining and all. I also learned from Mack (and Steve confirmed it) that Alden created the tassel loafer! This is why Mack has quite a few tassel loafer make-ups as it's a tribute/nod to one of Alden's original styles.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Vintage Indy from Leather Soul
20231023_102606.jpg
20231023_102631.jpg
20231023_102647.jpg
20231023_102706.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CA96