• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi all, I own 2 longwing bluchers one in shell. Both on Barrie last. Also have an indy boot.

Looking for a black pair of shoes to wear with suits amongst other things. The v tip in black shell caught my eye. Mostly comes in barrie last.

I do like the chunkier look compared to my C&J proper black oxford captoes.

I'm in my mid 30s if that makes any difference. Would the v tip be a good choice in barrie last? Or should I get it in a different last? Or look at another model?

Since you have LWBs and a cap toe, it seems like you have both ends of the spectrum covered and need something in between. The V tip is a great shoe, but to me it is more casual as that is the way I wear them.

IMG_2697 2.jpg

I suggest you look for a brogued shoe on the Hampton last. A good choice would be a perfed cap toe, which looks great with a suit. These can be found in shell and they are also a stock model 901 in black calf. That means they should be available with a minimum amount of wait time.

IMG_2357 2.jpg

If you want more brogue, but not a LWB, you can look at a style 909 on the Hampton last. These are available in black and tan in style 911. It is occasionally offered in shell, so I went with #8 from Brogueshop.com, called their Banka Bal. Hope some of these are of interest.

IMG_2371.jpg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy boot Monday forum pals.

1686576739570.jpeg

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
"Let's Continue..." wearing my Alden Indys for years to come...

What does Steve say? “It’s not a repair; it’s a restoration.”

Steve from Bedo's Leatherworks recently restored my Alden 405 Indy boots—correction: he elevated these to a new level of excellence with his meticulous attention and decades of expertise.

These were my first Aldens, so obviously they hold a certain planet’s weight of memories for me. I purchased these in 2018 and wore them as my GADA (“Go Anywhere / Do Anything”) boots until the welt blew out and the heel started to separate (270 degree construction).

I’ve read horror stories of people sending problematic boots back to Alden (Wonka’s Factory) in Middleboro, MA only to have their items confiscated and replaced—I don’t want a new pair of boots; I want my boots.

I sent these to Steve in January 2023. He called me the day that they arrived to discuss particulars and review my plans for the restoration. Along the way, he kept in contact to update me on progress (including one phone call in which I asked for a minor adjustment to the plan—no problem). Steve converted the 270-degree welt to 360, added a leather midsole, installed Vibram 100 lug soles, and completely re-finished the uppers. Job was completed in June 2023. Is this a “long time”? I guess that’s relative. As a 10eee, if I want any special Alden make-ups, I’m waiting 9-12 months anyway…

Some notes: if the welt hadn’t have blown out, I may have opted just for a re-heeling / heel repair as the neocork was still surprisingly robust after 4 years of hard wear and tear. But, I used this as an opportunity for a conversion that I’ve rarely seen—an Indy with “real” lugs and not just a commando-style sole. (That is, outside of 1 or 2 fellow posters on styleforum and on the GYW subreddit and the “all terrain” Indy models that are occasionally run.)

Admittedly, I’m biased because I am a longtime fan of his YouTube channel. If you are, too, then you should know the deal: if you want cheap and fast—go somewhere else. If you have a sentimental item that you want to keep for years to come, then consider having the professional’s professional take care of you. Thank you, Steve.

View attachment 1970191 View attachment 1970193 View attachment 1970195 View attachment 1970197 View attachment 1970199 View attachment 1970201

Probably hard to say given the new soles and all. But do you tell any feel or comfort difference with the leather midsole vs. the stock fiber board midsole that so many have taken issue with?

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably hard to say given the new soles and all. But do you tell any feel or comfort difference with the leather midsole vs. the stock fiber board midsole that so many have taken issue with?
They feel “very” sturdy now, but that’s probably a combination of all the new parts and snugged up uppers—I can’t say this is due to the midsole alone. To be fair: standard Indys are among my most comfortable shoes anyway. The backlash over “sub-par” parts always seemed a little dramatic to me (even though I agree that Alden should aim higher).

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you have LWBs and a cap toe, it seems like you have both ends of the spectrum covered and need something in between. The V tip is a great shoe, but to me it is more casual as that is the way I wear them.

I suggest you look for a brogued shoe on the Hampton last. A good choice would be a perfed cap toe, which looks great with a suit. These can be found in shell and they are also a stock model 901 in black calf. That means they should be available with a minimum amount of wait time.

If you want more brogue, but not a LWB, you can look at a style 909 on the Hampton last. These are available in black and tan in style 911. It is occasionally offered in shell, so I went with #8 from Brogueshop.com, called their Banka Bal. Hope some of these are of interest.
Perfect thank you. I ordered the 909 in black calf from Sherman Brothers. I noticed their price was around $200 less than other places. Hopefully they're not seconds.

blue123

Reaction score
Do others on here have good relationships with ADs? I’ve been to a few and I have bought quite a bit of shoes. I feel like the reception at all of them is a bit aloof. They are all nice but seem a neutral toward their customers. I’m 40 years old and established. I understand if a teenager came in and maybe they didn’t want to spend their energy there. I’m into watches too and I’m that world I feel like the ADs are more approachable even to young kids who have an interest.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do others on here have good relationships with ADs? I’ve been to a few and I have bought quite a bit of shoes. I feel like the reception at all of them is a bit aloof. They are all nice but seem a neutral toward their customers. I’m 40 years old and established. I understand if a teenager came in and maybe they didn’t want to spend their energy there. I’m into watches too and I’m that world I feel like the ADs are more approachable even to young kids who have an interest.
I’ve never found Matt from Ealdwine or Yenni from Brick + Mortar aloof. Have you worked with them before? Great people.

slows2k

Reaction score

I’ll second the positive experiences at ealdwine Raleigh and B&M, as well as Brogue, Alden Madison ave (via phone), leffot, and Alden SF.

I have sometimes found them quiet while I’m looking but always engaging when talked to.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perfect thank you. I ordered the 909 in black calf from Sherman Brothers. I noticed their price was around $200 less than other places. Hopefully they're not seconds.
Good pick. Post some pictures when you get them. BTW, as far as I know, all seconds are sold through The Shoe Mart. I would be interested to learn of others sell them as well.

blue123

Reaction score
I’ve never found Matt from Ealdwine or Yenni from Brick + Mortar aloof. Have you worked with them before? Great people.
I haven't, but I wouldn't mind reaching out to them. Out of all the ones I have dealt with Alden of DC and Sherman Brothers were the best to interact with from a customer service standpoint. I try to talk to all my sales people with respect and interest in their craft. I'm in sales so I understand how it goes, but if I walk into an empty shop and get treated like I'm invisible then I find that a bit off-putting.

blue123

Reaction score
Same goes for David Wood great people. I have had some “aloof” service before at other retailers
Do you think its how we are dressed when we head in there sometimes? I used to wonder I show up in jeans and sneakers do they not engage as much. But if I show up in a suit, tie, and Aldens they jump at you?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

View attachment 1973319

View attachment 1973321

View attachment 1973323

Happy boot Monday forum pals.

View attachment 1973313

Dang Doc, talk about a grand slam! 4 great ones there worn well!

-Mike

DrJezza

Reaction score
Got my first pair of indy's at Sherman Bros in Philly and they were super courteous and patient. Took the time to explain everything, let me try different sizes and are one of the few old school shops with an Alden account. If you're ever in the city, definitely worth the trip to stop by and say hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rinaigani