• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure they’re all the same, with subtle changes to sole.
Yes they are the same upper for sure. That is what I tried to point out. These uppers are not LHS. I wanted a new pair of LHS but EU retailers are only getting that upper style loafers.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1970095

I got mine from Shoemart and had Aram swap out the hardware. Another flawless job from him. Turnaround time was 2 weeks.

These are perfect !

"Let's Continue..." wearing my Alden Indys for years to come...

What does Steve say? “It’s not a repair; it’s a restoration.”

Steve from Bedo's Leatherworks recently restored my Alden 405 Indy boots—correction: he elevated these to a new level of excellence with his meticulous attention and decades of expertise.

These were my first Aldens, so obviously they hold a certain planet’s weight of memories for me. I purchased these in 2018 and wore them as my GADA (“Go Anywhere / Do Anything”) boots until the welt blew out and the heel started to separate (270 degree construction).

I’ve read horror stories of people sending problematic boots back to Alden (Wonka’s Factory) in Middleboro, MA only to have their items confiscated and replaced—I don’t want a new pair of boots; I want my boots.

I sent these to Steve in January 2023. He called me the day that they arrived to discuss particulars and review my plans for the restoration. Along the way, he kept in contact to update me on progress (including one phone call in which I asked for a minor adjustment to the plan—no problem). Steve converted the 270-degree welt to 360, added a leather midsole, installed Vibram 100 lug soles, and completely re-finished the uppers. Job was completed in June 2023. Is this a “long time”? I guess that’s relative. As a 10eee, if I want any special Alden make-ups, I’m waiting 9-12 months anyway…

Some notes: if the welt hadn’t have blown out, I may have opted just for a re-heeling / heel repair as the neocork was still surprisingly robust after 4 years of hard wear and tear. But, I used this as an opportunity for a conversion that I’ve rarely seen—an Indy with “real” lugs and not just a commando-style sole. (That is, outside of 1 or 2 fellow posters on styleforum and on the GYW subreddit and the “all terrain” Indy models that are occasionally run.)

Admittedly, I’m biased because I am a longtime fan of his YouTube channel. If you are, too, then you should know the deal: if you want cheap and fast—go somewhere else. If you have a sentimental item that you want to keep for years to come, then consider having the professional’s professional take care of you. Thank you, Steve.

View attachment 1970191 View attachment 1970193 View attachment 1970195 View attachment 1970197 View attachment 1970199 View attachment 1970201

Another work of art from the Master !

jnik

Reaction score
Yes, but only in Kudu. And, I think the sole is 1 piece (i.e. not a separate heel stack).
Alden A/T Lug Sole is one piece. I have it on Reverse Earth Chamois, but it is not comparable to Vibram. It is much softer.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lost and Found color 4s in the office this week
70766844694__C0074BA5-5D9F-4138-A615-29E9C6B6F04F.jpeg

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden A/T Lug Sole is one piece. I have it on Reverse Earth Chamois, but it is not comparable to Vibram. It is much softer.
Does it wear quickly at the heel? I supinate.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Laces? These look thicker than GGs (which I am looking for). Thanks.
Allen Edmonds 48" round boot laces - which have become impossible to find since the pandemic

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds 48" round boot laces - which have become impossible to find since the pandemic
Wow. AE's lace game in general is nightmare. They stopped making the 39" shoe lace, too.

I like Red Wing laces a lot. My local dealership offers free laces if they don't have the packaged ones in stock. I always offer to pay, but the owner is very generous--I buy a few accessories (e.g. shoe brushes, etc.) as to not be a freeloader.

https://www.redwingshoes.com/accessories/laces/

jnik

Reaction score
Does it wear quickly at the heel? I supinate.
Same. I would say not quite as quick as a Thomas heel, but not far behind. Interestingly, the tread is not nearly as deep at the heel as the rest of the boot. The back inch of the heel has tread that is only about 0.05" deep (less than a commando sole), whereas the rest of the tread is about .35" deep.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Let's Continue..." wearing my Alden Indys for years to come...

What does Steve say? “It’s not a repair; it’s a restoration.”

Steve from Bedo's Leatherworks recently restored my Alden 405 Indy boots—correction: he elevated these to a new level of excellence with his meticulous attention and decades of expertise.

These were my first Aldens, so obviously they hold a certain planet’s weight of memories for me. I purchased these in 2018 and wore them as my GADA (“Go Anywhere / Do Anything”) boots until the welt blew out and the heel started to separate (270 degree construction).

I’ve read horror stories of people sending problematic boots back to Alden (Wonka’s Factory) in Middleboro, MA only to have their items confiscated and replaced—I don’t want a new pair of boots; I want my boots.

I sent these to Steve in January 2023. He called me the day that they arrived to discuss particulars and review my plans for the restoration. Along the way, he kept in contact to update me on progress (including one phone call in which I asked for a minor adjustment to the plan—no problem). Steve converted the 270-degree welt to 360, added a leather midsole, installed Vibram 100 lug soles, and completely re-finished the uppers. Job was completed in June 2023. Is this a “long time”? I guess that’s relative. As a 10eee, if I want any special Alden make-ups, I’m waiting 9-12 months anyway…

Some notes: if the welt hadn’t have blown out, I may have opted just for a re-heeling / heel repair as the neocork was still surprisingly robust after 4 years of hard wear and tear. But, I used this as an opportunity for a conversion that I’ve rarely seen—an Indy with “real” lugs and not just a commando-style sole. (That is, outside of 1 or 2 fellow posters on styleforum and on the GYW subreddit and the “all terrain” Indy models that are occasionally run.)

Admittedly, I’m biased because I am a longtime fan of his YouTube channel. If you are, too, then you should know the deal: if you want cheap and fast—go somewhere else. If you have a sentimental item that you want to keep for years to come, then consider having the professional’s professional take care of you. Thank you, Steve.

View attachment 1970191 View attachment 1970193 View attachment 1970195 View attachment 1970197 View attachment 1970199 View attachment 1970201

Very nice work. I remember asking him once how much a new welt is, and it wasn't cheap. I think that's perhaps the only downside of going with Steve for such repair. But I would agree with you that I would feel like they are in safer hands. I'll likely use cobblers for all my future resoles just because it gives me peace of mind with the holes on the upper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads