• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrismm

Reaction score
It's called the Chromexcel lottery for a reason. I have seen a lot worse to be honest -- when the grain is so loose that the micro creases have a lot of space between them. Yours are at least relatively tight. Wear as a casual shoe and embrace it.
If this is normal, I just don't see the appeal.

DG123

Reaction score
I've had a few pair of Alden's, but never any in Chromexcel. These are only four months old, and get worn 3-4 times a week. It don't mind creases, but this looks like something different. I've put VSC on them once, and after a day of walking they looked just like this again. I can honestly say, the leather on these look worse after 4 months than anything I've ever had regardless of price. Thoughts?
Thin chromexcel, such as what Alden and Wolverwine buy from Horween, is basically junk.
Chromexcel that's twice as thick, such as what's used by the PNW boot companies, does not stretch-crease-wrinkle like the thin stuff does. It astounds me that as fine a company as Alden is willing to produce footwear out of thin CXL.

Chrismm

Reaction score
Thin chromexcel, such as what Alden and Wolverwine buy from Horween, is basically junk.
Chromexcel that's twice as thick, such as what's used by the PNW boot companies, does not stretch-crease-wrinkle like the thin stuff does. It astounds me that as fine a company as Alden is willing to produce footwear out of thin CXL.
I agree. I'm going to reach out to them and see if I get anything back.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to give your opinion. The interested party does not consider Alden model project to be a valid reference (or similar models such as the 2168, the same shoe in color 8 scotch grain shell), so that's why I am reaching out. I have also emailed Alden, so hopefully we can get an answer that is definitive beyond our opinions.
Run away from this "buyer"....just don't sell to him/her. Alden model project IS THE Valid reference...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had a few pair of Alden's, but never any in Chromexcel. These are only four months old, and get worn 3-4 times a week. It don't mind creases, but this looks like something different. I've put VSC on them once, and after a day of walking they looked just like this again. I can honestly say, the leather on these look worse after 4 months than anything I've ever had regardless of price. Thoughts?
cxl is a crap shoot, and great for a boot you don't mind beating the SH*T out of...I agree that at the price point Alden is at, they should use the BEST CXL that Horween can make. But, CXL is a great leather for boots and I like the patina look that it gets (sometimes rather quickly)

Sheepdog

Reaction score
This is some great information/advice, thank you.

I'm in Montgomery, AL. So probably a little too far, if you are in Dallas, but what a generous offer. Thank you!

I'm late to the game here, but thought I'd add that Harrison Limited in Birmingham is an Alden stockist and could probably order you a few sizes to try. Even if you don't get any shoes, it's a fantastic men's shop and worth the trip just to browse if nothing else.

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, has the recent mark up for rare shell increased? I got an chance to secure a spot for a pair of rare shell boots for $1400. My last rare shell order from another alden vendor was about 3 years ago which costed only $855 (shoes not boots). I expected that boots will cost a bit more, but the mark up to $1400 is quite steep IMO.
Can someone with more experience in rare shell orders chime in?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, has the recent mark up for rare shell increased? I got an chance to secure a spot for a pair of rare shell boots for $1400. My last rare shell order from another alden vendor was about 3 years ago which costed only $855 (shoes not boots). I expected that boots will cost a bit more, but the mark up to $1400 is quite steep IMO.
I paid 950$ish for ravello wing tip boots this Spring so that seems quite high

Chrismm

Reaction score
cxl is a crap shoot, and great for a boot you don't mind beating the SH*T out of...I agree that at the price point Alden is at, they should use the BEST CXL that Horween can make. But, CXL is a great leather for boots and I like the patina look that it gets (sometimes rather quickly)
Yeah, that isn't Patina, it's just poor quality. I've kicked the sh*t out of all kinds of leather goods over the years, and even decent leather doesn't do that in a few months, or years for that matter. I'm still fan of the brand due to the last options alone, but think I'll be staying away from the Chromexcel in the future. I do have a pair of Straight Tip boots from Brick and Mortar pre-ordered, hopefully the leather is a little thicker.

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its really all over the place. I’d say $1100 is the norm but I have seem $1400. It’s up to the retailer.

Adhazem

Reaction score
Can someone educate me on all the rare shells? Relatively new and enjoying my color 8 Indy.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Up to the retailer, but $1400 is the highest of heard of. I have a pair of color 4 boots coming next spring and those were marked at $1000. Not a hand-stitch model however. Other recent prices have been in the $900-950 range shoes and boots.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, that isn't Patina, it's just poor quality. I've kicked the sh*t out of all kinds of leather goods over the years, and even decent leather doesn't do that in a few months, or years for that matter. I'm still fan of the brand due to the last options alone, but think I'll be staying away from the Chromexcel in the future. I do have a pair of Straight Tip boots from Brick and Mortar pre-ordered, hopefully the leather is a little thicker.
I hear you, brother.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Its really all over the place. I’d say $1100 is the norm but I have seem $1400. It’s up to the retailer.
Alden crossed my threshold of "NO *****N WAY" am I going to pay that much, no matter how much I like them, or want them about a year ago....At my age, I just can't justify paying more than 7-800 for a pair of boots, no matter how rare...Alden has priced me out of the game.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's the thing. Demand far outstrips supply for rare shell Aldens. If you don't take them at that price, someone else will. At some price point some people will turn away from Alden if dealers keep doing that. I think Crockett and Jones is finer than Alden by a decent margin. Their shell boots are $1,250. They have hatch grain shell for $1,450.

That said, Alden is an iconic brand, not on par with Rolex in terms of reputation, but I'll use that as an example. Rolex steel watches cost considerably more than much finer JLC complicated watches even in gold. Finer doesn't mean better in either case, but it definitely means more care in the making, tighter tolerances, and more skill applied.

As I wear my 4 pair of Alden boots (2 rare shell) sometimes I recognize I likely have too many boots (I also have 2 pairs of Alfred Sargent boots and one pair of Crockett and Jones handgrade dress boots). Maybe I should have gotten two pairs of Edward Green boots instead of my Alden boots. Or maybe not, variety is the spice of life, right? If they had been $1,400 instead of $900, I definitely would have chosen that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads