• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DG123

Reaction score
What? Lol. Not tough at all. He admitted his foot was sliding left to right and admitted and and showed pictures of facings touching.

O.K. , after watching the video again I see he did provide some photographs of the pair laced to his feet. The fundamental problem here is that the 9.5C is too large of a size for him. His correct size is either 9B or 9.5A, possibly 9.5AA.

Last edited:

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither. It's a venue to discuss Alden, good and bad.
Good because appreciation is in the name of the thread. Bad when warranted. Most of his comments were unwarranted. It wasn’t a good review.
Overall, I thought that the video was kind of interesting. Definitely interesting to hear the feedback from someone who really has limited information, as he learned all he knows about the boot by watching another YouTube video. I find it interesting that he said that he was disappointed that Alden calls it the Indy Boot, but it doesn't live up to that image. What is interesting to me about that is if you go to Alden directly (aldenshoe.com), they call it a workbook. It is retailers and culture that have renamed it because Harrison Ford wanted to wear this boot, not Alden soliciting it. I agree that he probably got the wrong fit based upon what he described his experience, but it is just hard to say and the Trubalance Last is designed to run large. However, he does point out a lot of very valid issues/complaints about Alden, such as spurs on their eyelets, the Commando sole wearing quick, and QC issues. Hopefully, feedback will just enable Alden to make better products for us!

-Mike
True

NonChalant321

Reaction score
I am looking to get a new shell color 8 Alden boot, and for a long while I was set on the Indy on commando sole. Recently, I find myself liking the tanker on Barrie last with commando sole as well. Which do people find more versatile?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am looking to get a new shell color 8 Alden boot, and for a long while I was set on the Indy on commando sole. Recently, I find myself liking the tanker on Barrie last with commando sole as well. Which do people find more versatile?
I prefer the Indy pattern over tanker, and TB fits me better than Barrie (too narrow in front). Would you be open to a neocork sole? I’m not the biggest fan of commando for durability, visual, or comfort.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a bad option in your choices but there is no way there is a definitive answer to your question. It is simply a matter of taste. For me, the Barrie lasted Tanker wins by a whisker as I find Barrie a little easier to dress up to business casual that TB. But I've certainly done it with TB and it flowed just fine.

I'd grab the one that you like the most.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
I prefer the Indy pattern over tanker, and TB fits me better than Barrie (too narrow in front). Would you be open to a neocork sole? I’m not the biggest fan of commando for durability, visual, or comfort.

I actually tried on the Indy with neocork sole at Alden of Madison. I thought the bottom felt rather hard but could get used to it. I gravitated towards the commando since I'd be wearing it in rain, slush, and up to a few inches of snow here in the northeast. That said, I might be open Neocork or even double oak leather - but I think I'd put a Vibram sole guard on. I do like the TB last from when I tried it on, but was surprised to find the Barrie as comfortable.

Not a bad option in your choices but there is no way there is a definitive answer to your question. It is simply a matter of taste. For me, the Barrie lasted Tanker wins by a whisker as I find Barrie a little easier to dress up to business casual that TB. But I've certainly done it with TB and it flowed just fine.

I'd grab the one that you like the most.

That's what I was thinking - the NST on Barrie might be a doable for business casual and even a suit on rare occasion if it's bad outside (I don't wear a suit often enough to be convinced on buying a proper dress boot).

I have a feeling I might just cop whatever is available - seems like both aren't widely available due to the handstiching. Maybe the Indy is slightly more available than the Tanker.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I actually tried on the Indy with neocork sole at Alden of Madison. I thought the bottom felt rather hard but could get used to it. I gravitated towards the commando since I'd be wearing it in rain, slush, and up to a few inches of snow here in the northeast. That said, I might be open Neocork or even double oak leather - but I think I'd put a Vibram sole guard on. I do like the TB last from when I tried it on, but was surprised to find the Barrie as comfortable.

That's what I was thinking - the NST on Barrie might be a doable for business casual and even a suit on rare occasion if it's bad outside (I don't wear a suit often enough to be convinced on buying a proper dress boot).

I have a feeling I might just cop whatever is available - seems like both aren't widely available due to the handstiching. Maybe the Indy is slightly more available than the Tanker.

I’m in Brooklyn and neocork works just fine in the fall and winter. It’s better than commando on typical NE city hazards like wet granite & marble or slate sidewalks. It’s more durable, too.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
I’m in Brooklyn and neocork works just fine in the fall and winter. It’s better than commando on typical NE city hazards like wet granite & marble or slate sidewalks. It’s more durable, too.

That's useful to know...thanks! Do you have the Indy? I guess probably so since I haven't seen the tanker come in neocork.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's useful to know...thanks! Do you have the Indy? I guess probably so since I haven't seen the tanker come in neocork.
Neocork is basically a TB only. So, if you found a TB tanker maybe! They also do U-tips (Indy) on Barrie

barutanseijin

Reaction score

Yes, two pairs of Indy boots on neocork:

FdHnDPh.jpg

q5l5quu.jpg

Not really a boot guy. Mostly i just wear rubber sole shoes in the winter unless the weather is really bad.

Volfan615

Reaction score
Don’t understand how this guy gets the traffic he does other than the gimmick of cutting something in half or being controversial. So hard to listen to for that long. But 99% of his critiques wouldn’t be there if he got a better fit. He bought way too big. Way. Too big. Foot sliding around, facings overlapping?? C’mon, be professional. Of course they’re going to wear badly being that big. It’s like he’s new to shoes. I feel his reviews are biased and unfair, and maybe he’s got an axe to grind.

I immediately knew whose video this was when I read the comments. Does this guy like anything? The only ones that I've seen have been very negative of what he is reviewing.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I immediately knew whose video this was when I read the comments. Does this guy like anything? The only ones that I've seen have been very negative of what he is reviewing.
There are a number of boots/bootmakers that he admires.
Dig a little deeper if you’re actually interested.

DG123

Reaction score

Alden of Madison seems to have available more Neocork sole Indy boots than most dealers do:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads