• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcdx22

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on sizing, looking to pick up a pair of Shell LHS loafers on the Van last.

The only other Alden’s I own are a pair of shell long wings on the Barrie last. They are very comfortable and fit well, if not just a hair too large for my preferences (maybe not even that they’re too large, just very roomy in the toe box, which is expected with that last.)

I prefer my shoes, especially loafers to fit snug. From the research I’ve done Van last is a touch shorter than Barrie, leading me to believe I should just get the same size as my long wings, especially if I plan to wear with socks?

Yes general advice is same as Barrie. I wouldn't go down from Barrie.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Leisure Sunday. Alden x BB Whiskey Shell Cordovan Unlined LHS.

Alden x BB Whiskey Shell Cordovan Unlined LHS - 2022-09-22 - 1.jpeg

Alden x BB Whiskey Shell Cordovan Unlined LHS - 2022-09-22 - 2.jpeg

Alden x BB Whiskey Shell Cordovan Unlined LHS - 2022-09-22 - 3.jpeg

-Mike

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on sizing, looking to pick up a pair of Shell LHS loafers on the Van last.

The only other Alden’s I own are a pair of shell long wings on the Barrie last. They are very comfortable and fit well, if not just a hair too large for my preferences (maybe not even that they’re too large, just very roomy in the toe box, which is expected with that last.)

I prefer my shoes, especially loafers to fit snug. From the research I’ve done Van last is a touch shorter than Barrie, leading me to believe I should just get the same size as my long wings, especially if I plan to wear with socks?

For me LHS are snug in my Barrie size. I need to go up in width to wear anything but the thinnest of socks.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, fresh from our friends at Alden, is the Color #4 Shell Cordovan Wingtip Boot made over the Grant Last. A really unique and interesting combination...

View attachment 1836095

View attachment 1836096

View attachment 1836097

With the original Color #4 WT Boot from TSM (2012), the B+M Anniversary Boot (2020), and the Grant variant (2022).
View attachment 1836098

And Grant WT Brothers (#8 Left from B+M).
View attachment 1836099

-Mike
This batch of color 4 is gorgeous! Got mine in yesterday as well.

View attachment 1836150

Wow, 4 WT on Grant! Just incredible. I have long said that Grant is Alden’s best boot last and these are just amazing. Congrats to all who got them. It’s also nice to see that 4 seems to becoming less rare and more available to the masses. Certainly not a bad thing.

For years I sized Van TTS. Over the past two years I have sized same as Barrie and after virtually turning overmy whole Van collection I am much happier with the fit.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of outstanding rare shell pick-ups! Love seeing all of the outstanding make-ups and the community here being able to share and enjoy them!

Here's my pick-up from Alden SF: Cigar Shell Plain Toe Boots on Barrie last with matching eyelets and speed holks, 360 Antique Reverse Welt, and Commando Soles. Super clean with no quarter stitching which reveals some inconsistencies with the upper dye on the left boot, but it makes for almost a neat Marbled look!
PXL_20220925_184714317.jpg

PXL_20220925_184621491.jpg

PXL_20220925_184634084.jpg

PXL_20220925_184647754.jpg

PXL_20220925_184657149.jpg

PXL_20220925_184705741.jpg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of outstanding rare shell pick-ups! Love seeing all of the outstanding make-ups and the community here being able to share and enjoy them!

Here's my pick-up from Alden SF: Cigar Shell Plain Toe Boots on Barrie last with matching eyelets and speed holks, 360 Antique Reverse Welt, and Commando Soles. Super clean with no quarter stitching which reveals some inconsistencies with the upper dye on the left boot, but it makes for almost a neat Marbled look!
View attachment 1836407
View attachment 1836408
View attachment 1836409
View attachment 1836410
View attachment 1836411
View attachment 1836412

As beautiful as that boot is now, I can't help but to fast-forward to 2-3 years and imagine just how incredible it will be. Instant classic. Simplicity perfected. Congrats!

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20220926_061116.jpg
20220926_071157.jpg

Boot season is here and I'm so happy with how these faded 8 venice boots turned out!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have long admired the saddle suede shoes shown by @James1051 and @audog but I never seemed to find a pair. I stumbled on to this pair that were just a little larger than my normal size and I could not pass them up. They are certainly looser on my feet than the calf and shell I am used to, but the use of the shoe insert help make them a keeper.

IMG_2246.JPG

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have long admired the saddle suede shoes shown by @James1051 and @audog but I never seemed to find a pair. I stumbled on to this pair that were just a little larger than my normal size and I could not pass them up. They are certainly looser on my feet than the calf and shell I am used to, but the use of the shoe insert help make them a keeper.

View attachment 1836769
BIG Saddle shoe fan here, and those look good. Saddles will be one of the last to go in the foot pain sell-off, if they go at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics