• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hunting Green Suede Indys.
A bit of green-on-green...
20220525_111640.jpg
20220525_111730.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am looking for a person to pick up my pair of boots for me from a retailer in LA. The shop in near Western and Beverly Blvd. I will be happy to pay any charge for gas and mailing. I can't do it because I am 2700 miles away. Please PM me if you are willing to assist me.

UPDATE: I have a volunteer and the game is afoot.

A final conclusion to my efforts at rescuing my Alden suede cap toe boots I sent in 5 months ago. An LA forum member (who I will not name as I do not have his permission) was EXTREMELY kind to interrupt his busy schedule and attempt a rescue of the boots from Willie's Shoe service. The short version is that the hook replacements had not been performed. (Well, 1 hook out of 8 on one boot had been changed.) The cobbler asked him to return in 30 minutes while he finished the work and looked for the other boot. Yes, he lost one of the boots somewhere in his shop. 30 minutes later the second boot remained lost and the forum member was asked to leave. There is the smallest of chances that they will ever surface again and find their way back to me, but at this point I am cutting my losses, thankful that I had not sent him some rare shell boots. My very public thanks to the efforts of this forum member and others who reached out to offer assistance.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A final conclusion to my efforts at rescuing my Alden suede cap toe boots I sent in 5 months ago. An LA forum member (who I will not name as I do not have his permission) was EXTREMELY kind to interrupt his busy schedule and attempt a rescue of the boots from Willie's Shoe service. The short version is that the hook replacements had not been performed. (Well, 1 hook out of 8 on one boot had been changed.) The cobbler asked him to return in 30 minutes while he finished the work and looked for the other boot. Yes, he lost one of the boots somewhere in his shop. 30 minutes later the second boot remained lost and the forum member was asked to leave. There is the smallest of chances that they will ever surface again and find their way back to me, but at this point I am cutting my losses, thankful that I had not sent him some rare shell boots. My very public thanks to the efforts of this forum member and others who reached out to offer assistance.
So you basically sent a pair of boots to be worked on and the shop 1) didn't perform the work and 2) lost one of the boots. Any legal remedy here?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So you basically sent a pair of boots to be worked on and the shop 1) didn't perform the work and 2) lost one of the boots. Any legal remedy here?

Sure there are, but to what end? I don't live locally so I can't take him to local small claims court. His business is on the verge of closing, which is what he told me and I believe it. So he has no money and my damages are limited as I bought the boots used. I am just better off spending a fraction of the same money to take legal action to just buy another pair of boots.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure there are, but to what end? I don't live locally so I can't take him to local small claims court. His business is on the verge of closing, which is what he told me and I believe it. So he has no money and my damages are limited as I bought the boots used. I am just better off spending a fraction of the same money to take legal action to just buy another pair of boots.
I hear you, just always a bummer. You could file a lien on the business (minimal cost) and potentially get paid when everything is liquidated. Probably not worth the hassle though

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To keep the green vibes going for today... Just got these "peat" suede Indy's from TS - definitely more green chamois to me than peat or suede, but I'm not complaining. Really wanted a pair but they disappeared from the TS website and a handful of sizes sporadically reappeared last week, happy my size was among them.

IMG_6930.jpg

Last edited:

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plus all the stress would likely not result in the hoped for benefit, I agree with your approach.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been out east picking up a graduate and doing some traveling while kind of keeping an eye on these developments. I had Google mapped the store in question to see where the location was and if I could do something when back home. I can tell you by the reviews, you’re not the only one. This is a dead business. Did the owner become incapacitated or something? If I recall it used to be a viable source for reconditioning. Seems something happened recently where everything went to hell.

DG123

Reaction score

I suggest offering him $100 if he finds the missing boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads