• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I could only have one pair of Alden tassel loafers....these are the ones
IMG_1116.JPG

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely fantastic Shawn! I have two pairs of the #8 Unlineds as well and intend to replace the outsole with an Antique once I get them worn down. Enjoy them bud!

-Mike

Hey Mayor. First, always appreciate the words and encouragement. Thanks! I'm going to send you an IM on my thoughts on the conversion only because it will involve a non-recommendation on the cobbler and my reasons why. And I'm uncomfortable with bashing someone unsolicited in a public forum especially given that my beef is now over a few years old. But that aside, I would highly recommend the conversion. I love antique on 8 for wear with denim and for me, these hit the perfect balance as a second pair.

Also, just an amazing pair of C4 tankers you posted. Good grief!!!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gang,

One more gratuitous shot of my unlined 8's after clean-up that only included water and brushing. Man, I do love me some Alden 8..........

20220513_BBUnlined.jpg

The more important reason for the post (and I did think about another thread, shoe care, C&J, etc.) has to do with a difference in Aram's work. The difference would not have registered if not for the timing of getting an email from C&J on their handgrade models and one of the differences the article mentioned was how their soles were constructed. I don't profess to understand enough get it entirely but the point was that they use a method of construction that results in the stitching not being visible on the sole. I don't know why (or even if) this is better but C&J indicates that it is. But reading it caused me to look at the soles Aram replaced as I thought they looked a little different (but again, before reading the article, it simply didn't register) an sure enough, the threads are not visible........

20220513_BBUnlinedRepair8.jpg

20220513_BBUnlinedRepair2.jpg

I've obviously had a lot of work done by Aram so I went back and looked at some of his previous work and the stitching was always visible.

My question for the experts is first, does any of the above ramblings make sense and if so, is the process of hiding the stitching on soles considered analogous to a high-end luxury and if so, why?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gang,

One more gratuitous shot of my unlined 8's after clean-up that only included water and brushing. Man, I do love me some Alden 8..........

View attachment 1792158

The more important reason for the post (and I did think about another thread, shoe care, C&J, etc.) has to do with a difference in Aram's work. The difference would not have registered if not for the timing of getting an email from C&J on their handgrade models and one of the differences the article mentioned was how their soles were constructed. I don't profess to understand enough get it entirely but the point was that they use a method of construction that results in the stitching not being visible on the sole. I don't know why (or even if) this is better but C&J indicates that it is. But reading it caused me to look at the soles Aram replaced as I thought they looked a little different (but again, before reading the article, it simply didn't register) an sure enough, the threads are not visible........

View attachment 1792159

View attachment 1792160

I've obviously had a lot of work done by Aram so I went back and looked at some of his previous work and the stitching was always visible.

My question for the experts is first, does any of the above ramblings make sense and if so, is the process of hiding the stitching on soles considered analogous to a high-end luxury and if so, why?
For Closed Channel Stitching the leather is finely cut and peeled back, the rapid stitcher does its thing, and then the sole is glued back over hiding the stitching. I don't believe there is a durability increase, but it is more work and is considered dressier. Lots of brands do it from Meermin and up.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Closed Channel Stitching the leather is finely cut and peeled back, the rapid stitcher does its thing, and then the sole is glued back over hiding the stitching. I don't believe there is a durability increase, but it is more work and is considered dressier. Lots of brands do it from Meermin and up.

Wow, you should have wrote the article for C&J as that was much easier to digest. Thanks! Taste is tricky and subjective but personally, I like the look of exposed stitching better.

But again, thanks for a helpful and concise explanation. Very helpful.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, you should have wrote the article for C&J as that was much easier to digest. Thanks! Taste is tricky and subjective but personally, I like the look of exposed stitching better.

But again, thanks for a helpful and concise explanation. Very helpful.

I think it looks better on narrower waisted shoes. On Aldens I don't think it makes a difference. On some of my dressier English makers with a pinched waist it looks really good.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Monday forum pals.

IMG_1732.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I played old man softball yesterday. Our team's median age is around 50. Some are closer to 30 and they crush us. Yesterday, we added two college age sons of team members, so it probably dropped our median age to 40, putting me on the old side of the median, rather than right around it. So, my legs are sore. Went with very forgiving red microsoles today.

Also, new phone, so a little more color vibrancy on my photos.

IMG_0003.jpeg

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I played old man softball yesterday. Our team's median age is around 50. Some are closer to 30 and they crush us. Yesterday, we added two college age sons of team members, so it probably dropped our median age to 40, putting me on the old side of the median, rather than right around it. So, my legs are sore. Went with very forgiving red microsoles today.

Also, new phone, so a little more color vibrancy on my photos.

View attachment 1792391
Awesome with the green trousers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads