• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some boots for today's snow
20220122_132552.jpg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Don, those Tan Suede LHSes are looking great. I find it really interesting that BB was the only one to do Shell Unlined and essentially the only one to do Suede Lined. I hope that they took great care of you!

Daniel, those Color #8 Jumpers from JCrew are looking just great. You got an awesome fade on those! Sweet Denim to dude!

I’m guessing 20 years old with a Alden refurb (1st) within the last two years.
View attachment 1740459

Johnnie, those are looking truly great and I would have never guessed them to be 20 years old! The power of a decently cared for Shell Cordovan upper and well made shoe!

Cold out today, good thing only have to let dog out today...... View attachment 1740482

AuDog, those Cap Toe Boots are looking great. The material adds a nice complexity to the simple pattern. Glad that you got to take it easy on a frigid day!!

Finally decided to try and get my Van sizing down for the LHS at Madison today. Half size down seemed to be the ticket outside of trying a couple widths. Hand stitch models, even stock ones, seem to not be readily in stock in popular sizes, but at least it could be ordered and the wait wasn’t too bad. These were calf, but I ordered in them in black shell. Can’t wait to get them as I move back to San Diego from Nyc.

View attachment 1740510

Mghart, my man! Those are truly awesome! Such a great and classic model! You will have to hit me up when you are back here and we can enjoy each other's LHSes... Cheers!

Wonderful story! Those Walnut Daltons are some of the best shoes AE ever made... The unlined version? SUPER rare as well; I am sad I had to part with my pair.

I really like that quote, almost brings me to tears reading it.

The wings are really one of my favorite designs as well... I 100% agree it's probably up there with Alden's best makeups of late.

One shoe that Jim and I REALLY wanted to get made (but had to "settle" on the Harvard/Savvy wing LOL) was the "Campus Bal". We pushed and pushed and pushed and Alden kiboshed it as the pattern is either obsolete or too difficult to cut. We both were devastated that Alden wouldn't move on it. I really wanted a color 8 or black shell pair as they only made them in calf.

I wish @Misterg12 could get Alden to make them in memory of my/our friend. Would be a really sweet tribute to a really good man.

View attachment 1740549
View attachment 1740550

They are from Ground-Gripper aka Moulded Shoe in NYC. If you call, tell Ronnie the guy who bought the Loden boots from STL says hello!

They're Modified last (their specialty) and I love them to death.

Thanks, Mike! These boots are made for walkin'!

Savvy, those Wingtips are great and it would be totally rad if we could get a fresh make of them! Looks like a Wingtip Balmoral and Atom had a baby... :)

These just arrived today from ShoeMart, Alden Cap Toe Shell boots in Color 8 with Antique edging on the sole.

Good and the bad:

Good: The fit is amazing, right out of the box. Didn't even need to use the shoehorn they included in the package.

Bad: Quality control rears its ugly head. Right boot, outer side, looks like some sort of chemical was dripped on the shell leather, doesn't look like dye issues but very noticeable. I've reached out to ShoeMart and sent them pics today and I'm waiting for a response. Another thing I noticed is how thin the shell leather that is used for the tongue is thinner than the tongue on my calf Indy's.

So mixed reaction to boots I was really looking forward to adding to my collection.

EC, I am really glad that you nailed the fit! That is awesome, but I am sorry to hear how you are feeling about the quality. Think about if you can tolerate those flaws. They will get less obvious with time and wears, but that is totally up to you!

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Galileo, you are looking great in those Chukkas. They have a nice balance of ruggedness and refinement to them!

DonL, you are killing it in those #8 NST Boots. Those Trousers are a great compliment with them as well!

Ugh, glad that you had something pleasing to look at while your dentist worked on you! Those are a great model and you are wearing them very well!

This is how I want all of my 8's to look. In my humble opinion, there is nothing, nothing, better than aged Alden 8 that has been well-cared for. Well done my-man!

Good grief Doc. Out of curiosity, can I get deets on the last? They look a little sleeker that Barrie but hard to tell from the angle.

Fair warning that it gets long from here but this post from @barutanseijin (agree with @mdubs BTW, those 990's are amazing) and a recent Hampton acquisition got me thinking about how I size Plaza and the genesis is that there was just something about my Plaza wings that I couldn't make work for me. For some reason, I always considered Plaza to be a dressy last and my boots never quite looked that way. I think the issue is that I brought into the conventional thinking as above, go up 1/2 size from Barrie. I took a flyer on my recent Hampton purchase though they are the same as my Barrie size because I really wanted the boots and the deal was very fair. Turns out that they fit perfectly, which got me thinking that I may have sized wrong on Plaza. I am now certain of that and thats why they didn't quite look right. Just too bulbous for the way I was trying to wear them. So today I decided to try something different. Rather than biz casual, I threw some thick socks on and rocked them with denim. It is the first time I've worn them that I absolutely love the look. Here's a few shots in different lights.......

View attachment 1741092 View attachment 1741093 View attachment 1741094 View attachment 1741095 View attachment 1741096

Man, these things look great and with thick socks, the fit is spot-on. Which leads me to a question. I have become truly enamored with the cork sole and rubber heel that comes mainly on the Indy 405 (I think). It was on my Black Shell Indy's that I sent back for repair because the hooks are coming off (unfortunately the news is not good on that front but that's a story for another day). My questions for the group are these, does anyone own 8's with cork soles and if so, can you share an image? Also, because I'm far from an expert on Alden soles, can anyone think of a reason (other than aesthetics) on why that sole would not work on these boots?

As always, appreciate the insight.

EDIT: Sorry for being lazy guys. Quick search gave me quite a few images of cork on 8. No wings so far, but I think I'm good.

Shawn, those are looking truly remarkable my friend! Great design right there. I really do not think that Alden will do a Wingtip Boot on the Neocork if I know anything about Alden. All new designs get reviewed by Artie, the owner of Alden, and he really is trying to keep the brand to a certain aesthetic. I think that a formal design like the WT pattern and the absolute casualness of the Neocork wouldn't get through him. I say this partially based upon designs that I know that he has turned down in the past.

Johnnie, so clean looking. Those are grreat and a classic. Look forward to seeing them in 10 years! Wear them in good health!

Just a pumpkin 405 kind of day View attachment 1741137

AuDog, you are looking great in your Pumpkins! Those have a great glow to them!

That color is awesome, audog. Johnniegold, your color is awesome too. I wish I could find a plain toe boot in that color.

I wore my best boots today.

View attachment 1741227

ProfilaBinding, those Plain Toe Boots are looking great on you! I hope that you wore them in good health!

Brown CXL boots for the afternoon View attachment 1741290

AuDog, looking great in your evening CXLs! Those are a great boot, an interesting combination of a casual material with a formal design.

Navy Suede Perf Tips this Friday. Very pleased with these and feel like I made the right choice when deciding on which Navy suede boot to get from Mack at Brogue. Think the straight tip would've been nice, but I smile whenever I wear these.
View attachment 1741292

I wouldn't be questioning those, those look just superb and you are wearing them really well. Thats a great makeup!

Here are Madison 8 Indys on cork

Also—you should just pitch wingtip color 8 boots on cork somewhere.

edit (might be an @mdubs question):

Does Alden only do cork on TB? And they don’t do wings on TB, right? Probably hard to get cork wingtip boots, then…

edit 2 (jeez I should just Google things first): Madison has some some Barrie boots on cork.

Who’s up for some cork wings?
View attachment 1741368 View attachment 1741369 View attachment 1741370
View attachment 1741374

As you found, they will do it with other lasts, but I think you will be hard pressed to find it or get it done on a more formal design. Artie is very protective of the Alden brand and corresponding aesthetic.

Happy Friday gentlemen. 2022 is off to a faster start than I anticipated. Latest arrival and put to immediate use (after waterproofing treatment of course). Snuff suede plaza slip-on chukkas on commando. These run a touch larger than my other plaza lasted boots, shoes, and lace up chukkas. I could have probably gotten away with 1/2 size down though they are still very comfortable and super easy on/off.

View attachment 1741375
View attachment 1741376

GGMac, those Snuff Slip Ons are looking great! Funny, as I swore those were Chelsea Boots for a minute, I had to figure out what they were because Alden doesn't do Chelseas!!!! Things ALWAYS seem to go faster than you would expect! :cool:

Savvy, two dang awesome outfits and shoes! I love the nice sweater along with the dress shirt and tie. That is one of my favorite combinations to go along with and I have a lot of Cashmere Sweaters that I miss wearing right now! My favorite has to be those #8 Tassels with the Blackwatch. Such a rad combo.

-Mike

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shawn, those are looking truly remarkable my friend! Great design right there. I really do not think that Alden will do a Wingtip Boot on the Neocork if I know anything about Alden. All new designs get reviewed by Artie, the owner of Alden, and he really is trying to keep the brand to a certain aesthetic. I think that a formal design like the WT pattern and the absolute casualness of the Neocork wouldn't get through him. I say this partially based upon designs that I know that he has turned down in the past.

As you found, they will do it with other lasts, but I think you will be hard pressed to find it or get it done on a more formal design. Artie is very protective of the Alden brand and corresponding aesthetic.

-Mike

Thanks Mayor. I agree with your assessment. It's a tough call but I have had these boots available for a while without a reasonable offer. I really love the boot as one of my favorite (and underused combinations) is the blind eyes and hooks combination. Once I saw them on feet with a more casual make, I was convinced that I found a home for them. Shut down the auction and placed the order for neocork. Not completely confident in how it will look for the same reason you assign to Artie. Wings/Plaza/Neocork????? That will be interesting.

But I love the shade of 8 as well as the hammer perforation used on Plaza enough that I am willing to take a flyer. Going to let Aram do his thing and see how they look.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I think better phrasing would be "the boot that started the hype". Lol! I would definitely agree the 405 would be that boot. The “Indy” is a great boot, I’m not particularly a fan of the TB last. The 405 was my gateway drug to Alden, but that’s just because it’s all I knew. This forum will drop you down the rabbit hole to all the the amazing offerings and make ups you could possibly want. I think my next “Indy” will probably be the “405 Pisgah” from Ealdwine. I do dig the 405 leather, and the Barrie last is almost perfect for me. My 2¢.
View attachment 1741922

TC, those boots are just superb!!! That is such a nice and clean design that only Matt could do! Those are a great looking leather and I love the adornments of the Brass Hardware!

Speaking of Indy boots, and TB last View attachment 1741722

HaHa, looking great AuDog in those classic Indys. Those laces given them a different, but nice aesthetic!

Looking great Smfdoc in those chunky PT Boots! Those are looking great and the ultimate showcase of the Shell.

#405 Indy Boots x Decka Baby Alpaca socks ??
View attachment 1741723 View attachment 1741724

michelin_li, a great choice with those Indy Boots there yesterday! Apparently it was Indy day out! :) Hope that they took good care of you! Love them warm looking socks too!

“Indy Bandwagon”, Stealth Snuff Suede courtesy of Ealdwine.
View attachment 1741739

TC, hah! Looks like you found the right bus to hop on there! Those are a great model and an interesting combo with the Indy design and flat welt. Hope that you enjoyed 'em yesterday!

Modified last for a cold day.
View attachment 1741761

Krebsy, oh man, definitely looks too cold for my blood! But those grained boots are looking truly superb and you look handily ready to handle the cold/snow!

Going through closet while waiting for grandkids to arrive. A seldom worn, by me, pair of Plaza Indy's, DocG's. View attachment 1741803

You should definitely consider wearing them more! The Dr. Jones is a great design and the Dr. G is no exception! Cheers!

Brogue Docker Indy on Neocork

View attachment 1741817

Joe! Great to see you wearing your Aldens again! It brings a smile to my face! Those Black Shell Indy's are just phenomenal and I know that you are enjoying the cushy Neocork!!!

Dug these out after 18 months (work moved to remote and finally went back to office some weeks ago).
View attachment 1741845

SSingh, glad that you got to finally pull out those truly rad Indy Boots! Those are great and hope that you are enjoying your time back in the office again!!!

Most worn boots this winter so far

1) Color 8 plain toe boots, commando, Barrie from
b+m (same as every year)

2) These:

View attachment 1741846

Alcibiades, those are both great sounding boots and those Indy's are just sharp, so it makes complete sense to me why they are part of your go-to's!

Spent some time today applying some TLC to a pair of 975s. These are approx. 20 years-old and had their first refurb ever in Feb. 2021 by Alden.
View attachment 1741851 View attachment 1741852 View attachment 1741853 View attachment 1741854

And if you wanna see the final results of spending a few hours brushing,
cleaning, deer-boning, polishing, more brushing and finally oiling the soles of a pair a Alden shell cordovan shoes… then click below.

View attachment 1741855

… and brushing some more. ?

Strong work Johnnie! Those Gunboats are looking spectacular! When you are done, you are welcome to come over and brush some of mine for me! ;-)

Cleaning day for me too.........

View attachment 1741961 View attachment 1741962

Scuffed the EG's really bad. After working the leather toe I moved to the edge and to my surprise, I had scuffed them so badly that the rubber on the ridgeway sole was actually separating from the leather. Oh well, boots........

Also some super sharp shining there Shawn! You are also welcome to come over!! :)

NST on Trubalance. My best fitting last. View attachment 1741996

Olof, those Tankers are looking great and glad that you found your best fitting last! That is what it is all about in the end! I hope that you wear those well for many years to come!

Saurabh, those Color #8 Dr. Jones are looking just exquisite! That is an exceptionally rare model since it was made with the Split-Reverse welt. I hope that you wear those sharp boots in good health for years to come!

Cornstarch on FRESH oil/stains on suede. However if suede comes with a mark from the factory, one has two choices, refuse the boots, or negotiate a favorable settlement and live with it. I live with it View attachment 1742037

Oh wow, bummer, but they are a great looking boot regardless! I hope that you wear them only in good health!!!

Wow, those definitely look like they are getting worn well and well worked in. I *think* that those are the Reverse Earth Chamois, but I am not 100%. Hah! Very awesome!

I was doing a some work today in the garage. Jcrew indys got the call.

Cruzin, those Indy Boots are looking great on you! You got some work to do to catch up to CC above, hah! Enjoy them!

Some boots for today's snow View attachment 1742059

AldenShoeMan, those Chamois Tankers are looking great on you and with those CHUNKY soles, should be ready for whatever you toss at them! Enjoy them!!!

-Mike

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mdubs Thanks Mayor! I would love to be able to visit Alden San Diego once I get back out there haha ? looking forward to being back in my hometown.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
The spots almost make me NOT want to wear them, almost...... View attachment 1742171

AuDog, those are looking great! Those are a lovely addition to your insane collection! I hope that you wear those in good health. Glad that the spots didn't deter you too much... :)

Thanks Mayor. I agree with your assessment. It's a tough call but I have had these boots available for a while without a reasonable offer. I really love the boot as one of my favorite (and underused combinations) is the blind eyes and hooks combination. Once I saw them on feet with a more casual make, I was convinced that I found a home for them. Shut down the auction and placed the order for neocork. Not completely confident in how it will look for the same reason you assign to Artie. Wings/Plaza/Neocork????? That will be interesting.

But I love the shade of 8 as well as the hammer perforation used on Plaza enough that I am willing to take a flyer. Going to let Aram do his thing and see how they look.

LoL, I really needed to read your post more closely! I was thinking that you wanted to get a shop to make the Wingtip on Neocork, not have our main man, Aram resole them. Aram will do a great job. Candidly, you will hardly notice the Neocork when looking at them, it will just be a slightly thicker outsole and that is about it. Cheers!

-Mike

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TC, hah! Looks like you found the right bus to hop on there! Those are a great model and an interesting combo with the Indy design and flat welt. Hope that you enjoyed 'em yesterday!
Thank you Mike! The flat welt and leather sole give it a much sleeker, dressier profile. It is definitely my favourite TB lasted boot.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't get around to trying these on -- beautiful makeup from Style by Blain.
View attachment 1742302

Not sure why more retailers don’t take a home run swing when they get allocated rare shell. It’s not like they will ever have trouble selling a run and you just might create a make for the ages. The Leffot whiskey saddles, C4 splits on either Modified or 379x, and these are shoes people will be drolling over 10 years from now. Congrats on scoring an instant classic.

Last edited:

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Choco suede tankers were always a must have for me, but when I finally got a pair from LeatherSoul they were too tight and I had to sell them.

Recently picked up these snuff tankers from Mack at Brogue. Thankfully a good fit and a very handsome make-up !

66FF6DD2-58C2-4E02-B19F-570D5B71F66B.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads