• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGMac

Reaction score

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are Madison 8 Indys on cork

Also—you should just pitch wingtip color 8 boots on cork somewhere.

edit (might be an @mdubs question):

Does Alden only do cork on TB? And they don’t do wings on TB, right? Probably hard to get cork wingtip boots, then…

edit 2 (jeez I should just Google things first): Madison has some some Barrie boots on cork.

Who’s up for some cork wings?
View attachment 1741368 View attachment 1741369 View attachment 1741370
View attachment 1741374

Quite helpful my-man. Couldn’t find any wings but I did see the Barrie plain toes from Madison. Thanks.

They are Grant last from B+M. They are a 12EEE, which is larger than the 11 or 11.5 I wear in Barrie. I got them from a SF member, and they fit fine with a thin insert. Best of all to me is they really close well and look sleeker to my eye. Link.

Ahhhhh, makes sense. Beautiful boot with your signature shine. So good.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite helpful my-man. Couldn’t find any wings but I did see the Barrie plain toes from Madison. Thanks.

Ahhhhh, makes sense. Beautiful boot with your signature shine. So good.
See if Madison will make ‘em. Pitch the model for crowdfunding/workshop.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn’t get too caught up on the “quintessential” indy. I’d focus on which make ups you like personally. Lots of people are saying the 405 which has the history, but that model does absolutely nothing for me. I don’t find the leather interesting, don’t like the color and not particularly fond of 270 welts. It all comes down to personal preference. Ive owned tons of Indys over the year and my best advice is buy the ones you like.

As for my favorite Indy….it would be the mahogany shell indy from B&M. For a boot that’s more accessible, the reverse tobacco chamois indy with berry gold stitching and brass hardware that Alden of San Fran ran for a while is really awesome.
BRAVO!! The OP ask the question of what we considered the quintessential Indy, so we have been answering that question. I agree, 100%, with you on focus on makeups you like personally. I, for one, happen to like the 405, so own a couple different pair. But if it doesn't get one excited to see in the closet, DO. NOT. BUY. IT, especially if doing so, because it's the "quintessential" in someone else's opinion.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After seeing so many wonderful Indy boots on this thread recently, I am more and more intrigued by the look and am now considering purchasing my first Indy boot! Before I take the plunge, I have a couple questions for the group:
  1. If you were to identify one Indy boot as the quintessential Indy, which would it be?
  2. Overall, which Indy boot make-up is your absolute favorite?
I'm hoping to see and hear of some incredible make-ups!
I think better phrasing would be "the boot that started the hype". Lol! I would definitely agree the 405 would be that boot. The “Indy” is a great boot, I’m not particularly a fan of the TB last. The 405 was my gateway drug to Alden, but that’s just because it’s all I knew. This forum will drop you down the rabbit hole to all the the amazing offerings and make ups you could possibly want. I think my next “Indy” will probably be the “405 Pisgah” from Ealdwine. I do dig the 405 leather, and the Barrie last is almost perfect for me. My 2¢.
IMG_2132.jpg

Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t get too caught up on the “quintessential” indy. I’d focus on which make ups you like personally. Lots of people are saying the 405 which has the history, but that model does absolutely nothing for me. I don’t find the leather interesting, don’t like the color and not particularly fond of 270 welts. It all comes down to personal preference. Ive owned tons of Indys over the year and my best advice is buy the ones you like.

As for my favorite Indy….it would be the mahogany shell indy from B&M. For a boot that’s more accessible, the reverse tobacco chamois indy with berry gold stitching and brass hardware that Alden of San Fran ran for a while is really awesome.

Most of us start off thinking you need to start with certain shoes and boots and then expand from there. But, really, over the long-term, after making mistakes or purchases that don't make our hearts flutter, what you need to do is buy what captures your interest. That interest may be fleeting and there is always a market for second hand shoes at this level of quality so you can move on. Many of us have caught and released several pairs that others would consider staples or even grails.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of us start off thinking you need to start with certain shoes and boots and then expand from there. But, really, over the long-term, after making mistakes or purchases that don't make our hearts flutter, what you need to do is buy what captures your interest. That interest may be fleeting and there is always a market for second hand shoes at this level of quality so you can move on. Many of us have caught and released several pairs that others would consider staples or even grails.
Well said

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PTBs today.

084CCE95-FC6F-4FD4-9C59-86B3BAD71193.jpeg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The classic Indy has to be the OG 403/405, but I agree with the rest that the best Indy is the makeup that catches your eye the most.

I'm a big fan of the JCrew build (brown CXL on Commando), and my buddy just got Ealdwine's Loden on Commando makeup and it's beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads