• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGMac

Reaction score
Happy Friday gentlemen. 2022 is off to a faster start than I anticipated. Latest arrival and put to immediate use (after waterproofing treatment of course). Snuff suede plaza slip-on chukkas on commando. These run a touch larger than my other plaza lasted boots, shoes, and lace up chukkas. I could have probably gotten away with 1/2 size down though they are still very comfortable and super easy on/off.

1DF23ACD-E552-433B-AADB-6C8F8FC10D5A.jpeg

DB82A905-5872-415F-98E6-7804CF2780AC.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good grief Doc. Out of curiosity, can I get deets on the last? They look a little sleeker that Barrie but hard to tell from the angle.

They are Grant last from B+M. They are a 12EEE, which is larger than the 11 or 11.5 I wear in Barrie. I got them from a SF member, and they fit fine with a thin insert. Best of all to me is they really close well and look sleeker to my eye. Link.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are Grant last from B+M. They are a 12EEE, which is larger than the 11 or 11.5 I wear in Barrie. I got them from a SF member, and they fit fine with a thin insert. Best of all to me is they really close well and look sleeker to my eye. Link.
I will probably buy these from Yenni when she does a re-order (10eee here). There were some problems with eee on commando, but they were able to accommodate with a flat welt.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the same green kudu that Grant Stone is using on their cap toe boot?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the same green kudu that Grant Stone is using on their cap toe boot?

Assuming you're referring to these, then no. For starters, this is not kudu. It's Horween chamois, which is a fat-liquored nubuck. They use the smooth side and the roughout side. It's extremely oily. The color of this one is called Earth, which is a sort of grey-black-blue. Totally different leather (and color). Not even close.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday eve and now Friday with wool layers and an overcoat. Bring on the weekend!

5A238DA2-01A2-48E9-AFF6-E06FC1B1D1AB.jpeg
190D6229-22AE-40E4-8722-95E429117990.jpeg
8796A7A2-5196-43EB-BE09-560A5480FDDC.jpeg
FDC1B98C-D123-4CAB-8CCE-7C8023E7114E.jpeg
BA5275DD-1340-4E40-A96D-9CB8E7AA7A3D.jpeg
F4F5D2A4-CCEF-438F-9265-234D66BE765A.jpeg

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After seeing so many wonderful Indy boots on this thread recently, I am more and more intrigued by the look and am now considering purchasing my first Indy boot! Before I take the plunge, I have a couple questions for the group:
  1. If you were to identify one Indy boot as the quintessential Indy, which would it be?
  2. Overall, which Indy boot make-up is your absolute favorite?
I'm hoping to see and hear of some incredible make-ups!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After seeing so many wonderful Indy boots on this thread recently, I am more and more intrigued by the look and am now considering purchasing my first Indy boot! Before I take the plunge, I have a couple questions for the group:
  1. If you were to identify one Indy boot as the quintessential Indy, which would it be?
In my opinion, the 405 is the quintessential Indy boot, my absolute favorite is no longer made, but the Country Calf Indy boot from a few years ago.

smmrfld

Reaction score
These just arrived today from ShoeMart, Alden Cap Toe Shell boots in Color 8 with Antique edging on the sole.

Good and the bad:

Good: The fit is amazing, right out of the box. Didn't even need to use the shoehorn they included in the package.

Bad: Quality control rears its ugly head. Right boot, outer side, looks like some sort of chemical was dripped on the shell leather, doesn't look like dye issues but very noticeable. I've reached out to ShoeMart and sent them pics today and I'm waiting for a response. Another thing I noticed is how thin the shell leather that is used for the tongue is thinner than the tongue on my calf Indy's.

So mixed reaction to boots I was really looking forward to adding to my collection.
I would not accept those. Sadly, too many examples of shoddy QC from Alden. Very frustrating indeed.

EndlessMike

Reaction score
The 405 is the original Indy for a reason. I love mine.

AoM's Copakes are maybe my favorite after the 405. Snuff suede ones look good, too.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you're referring to these, then no. For starters, this is not kudu. It's Horween chamois, which is a fat-liquored nubuck. They use the smooth side and the roughout side. It's extremely oily. The color of this one is called Earth, which is a sort of grey-black-blue. Totally different leather (and color). Not even close.

I really want a pair of earth chamois shoes, just can't decide on a style. Yenni at B+M told me that earth reverse chamois looks a lot like tobacco reverse chamois but, and ... I still want a pair of the earth chamois.

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know the difference between reverse chamois and regular chamois? Are they equally oily, such that the only difference is the nap (presumably reverse is rougher while regular is smoother?). Or are there other differences too?

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is how I want all of my 8's to look. In my humble opinion, there is nothing, nothing, better than aged Alden 8 that has been well-cared for. Well done my-man!

@Shawnc is so right.

I love all rare shell… But I think that if whiskey or cigar etc was the more common / standard shell color, we’d all be killing each other to try and get our hands on color 8 models.

AHS

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn’t get too caught up on the “quintessential” indy. I’d focus on which make ups you like personally. Lots of people are saying the 405 which has the history, but that model does absolutely nothing for me. I don’t find the leather interesting, don’t like the color and not particularly fond of 270 welts. It all comes down to personal preference. Ive owned tons of Indys over the year and my best advice is buy the ones you like.

As for my favorite Indy….it would be the mahogany shell indy from B&M. For a boot that’s more accessible, the reverse tobacco chamois indy with berry gold stitching and brass hardware that Alden of San Fran ran for a while is really awesome.

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads