• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chukka
524CA9D5-2874-4798-8EDA-42FE8EEAF1EB.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Off to the dentist

DDD66747-E2BA-402D-A8B8-6104D33B2B6C.jpeg

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, anybody wearing Barrie TTS?

I wear Barrie boots tts. Mainly because I like to wear thicker socks with boots. I don’t know, it’s what’s most comfortable for me even though it goes against the normal sizing advice.

mattw

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, anybody wearing Barrie TTS?

I'll be running this experiment next week with a pair of suede PTBs on the way.

I'm supposedly a 9.5E Brannock, but my previous Barrie 9Es (Dover, wingtip boot) have been a touch too tight width-wise. Trubalance 9E fits me well, snugly.

Caveats: my Brannock may be incorrect (really should be remeasured to be sure), and I prefer a looser fit

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing 20 years old with a Alden refurb (1st) within the last two years.
View attachment 1740459

This is how I want all of my 8's to look. In my humble opinion, there is nothing, nothing, better than aged Alden 8 that has been well-cared for. Well done my-man!

Good grief Doc. Out of curiosity, can I get deets on the last? They look a little sleeker that Barrie but hard to tell from the angle.

It’s less a question of which formula to apply, but rather, whether the last fits the shape of your foot. I was surprised to find that contrary to the formulaic recommendations, my Barrie size works for me in Plaza. The Plaza is good for feet that are wide up front but not in back and with low insteps & that’s pretty much my foot.

Fair warning that it gets long from here but this post from @barutanseijin (agree with @mdubs BTW, those 990's are amazing) and a recent Hampton acquisition got me thinking about how I size Plaza and the genesis is that there was just something about my Plaza wings that I couldn't make work for me. For some reason, I always considered Plaza to be a dressy last and my boots never quite looked that way. I think the issue is that I brought into the conventional thinking as above, go up 1/2 size from Barrie. I took a flyer on my recent Hampton purchase though they are the same as my Barrie size because I really wanted the boots and the deal was very fair. Turns out that they fit perfectly, which got me thinking that I may have sized wrong on Plaza. I am now certain of that and thats why they didn't quite look right. Just too bulbous for the way I was trying to wear them. So today I decided to try something different. Rather than biz casual, I threw some thick socks on and rocked them with denim. It is the first time I've worn them that I absolutely love the look. Here's a few shots in different lights.......

20220121_Plaza8's5.jpg
20220121_Plaza8's4.jpg
20220121_Plaza8's3.jpg
20220121_Plaza8's2.jpg
20220121_Plaza8's1.jpg

Man, these things look great and with thick socks, the fit is spot-on. Which leads me to a question. I have become truly enamored with the cork sole and rubber heel that comes mainly on the Indy 405 (I think). It was on my Black Shell Indy's that I sent back for repair because the hooks are coming off (unfortunately the news is not good on that front but that's a story for another day). My questions for the group are these, does anyone own 8's with cork soles and if so, can you share an image? Also, because I'm far from an expert on Alden soles, can anyone think of a reason (other than aesthetics) on why that sole would not work on these boots?

As always, appreciate the insight.

EDIT: Sorry for being lazy guys. Quick search gave me quite a few images of cork on 8. No wings so far, but I think I'm good.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Navy Suede Perf Tips this Friday. Very pleased with these and feel like I made the right choice when deciding on which Navy suede boot to get from Mack at Brogue. Think the straight tip would've been nice, but I smile whenever I wear these.
View attachment 1741292
Those are FIRE!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
This is how I want all of my 8's to look. In my humble opinion, there is nothing, nothing, better than aged Alden 8 that has been well-cared for. Well done my-man!

Good grief Doc. Out of curiosity, can I get deets on the last? They look a little sleeker that Barrie but hard to tell from the angle.

Fair warning that it gets long from here but this post from @barutanseijin (agree with @mdubs BTW, those 990's are amazing) and a recent Hampton acquisition got me thinking about how I size Plaza and the genesis is that there was just something about my Plaza wings that I couldn't make work for me. For some reason, I always considered Plaza to be a dressy last and my boots never quite looked that way. I think the issue is that I brought into the conventional thinking as above, go up 1/2 size from Barrie. I took a flyer on my recent Hampton purchase though they are the same as my Barrie size because I really wanted the boots and the deal was very fair. Turns out that they fit perfectly, which got me thinking that I may have sized wrong on Plaza. I am now certain of that and thats why they didn't quite look right. Just too bulbous for the way I was trying to wear them. So today I decided to try something different. Rather than biz casual, I threw some thick socks on and rocked them with denim. It is the first time I've worn them that I absolutely love the look. Here's a few shots in different lights.......

View attachment 1741092 View attachment 1741093 View attachment 1741094 View attachment 1741095 View attachment 1741096

Man, these things look great and with thick socks, the fit is spot-on. Which leads me to a question. I have become truly enamored with the cork sole and rubber heel that comes mainly on the Indy 405 (I think). It was on my Black Shell Indy's that I sent back for repair because the hooks are coming off (unfortunately the news is not good on that front but that's a story for another day). My questions for the group are these, does anyone own 8's with cork soles and if so, can you share an image? Also, because I'm far from an expert on Alden soles, can anyone think of a reason (other than aesthetics) on why that sole would not work on these boots?

EDIT: Sorry for being lazy guys. Quick search gave me quite a few images of cork on 8. No wings so far, but I think I'm good.

I have the Madison Indy’s. They are just superb!!!

-Mike

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1741092 View attachment 1741093 View attachment 1741094 View attachment 1741095 View attachment 1741096

Here are Madison 8 Indys on cork

Also—you should just pitch wingtip color 8 boots on cork somewhere.

edit (might be an @mdubs question):

Does Alden only do cork on TB? And they don’t do wings on TB, right? Probably hard to get cork wingtip boots, then…

edit 2 (jeez I should just Google things first): Madison has some some Barrie boots on cork.

Who’s up for some cork wings?
View attachment 1741368
6CD87F78-670C-4CA9-9F75-A2072816A874.jpeg
F45F7FF9-06E6-496E-B3DF-195F612A1A13.jpeg

6D45A406-1D67-485A-BBC4-595BA83D392A.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics