• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some serious props to those boots. BTW, the text editor here on SF won’t let me type h0nkey either.

Every once in a while a post just leaves me speechless. This is hilarious Doc. Instantly had me humming ‘well we’re movin on up’. Appreciate both the effort and info. Oh yeah, thanks for the compliment. I am quite pleased with the results.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An AE classic and one of my favorite MTO. Brown shell is highly underused!

7692A90A-A586-40A0-A863-C2648CAF865B.jpeg
F2F0D5C7-A226-44E3-B2C7-3A63CE6E6CC2.jpeg
75318934-38B4-4F43-A8D8-F1BBA14B1558.jpeg
74FF16F4-B63E-4B18-87CB-D8F930E99488.jpeg
2C4F3DA9-C98E-4484-B5E2-0B96E1021C49.jpeg
30E85897-2AFA-45D7-831A-9637A600F9D3.jpeg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mguy, those Naval Boots are looking just superb on you. Such a great color! I have had to put on a tie for a few meetings recently and it’s definitely not my routine anymore these days.
Thank you sir. I believe these are from the original run (2012?), and are by far my favorite #8 pair for the rich reds and eggplant they present.

I am so glad that some got to go there to support Jim, his family, and Mr G. Thanks for being an advocate for all of us there!
There's no doubt the family felt the support of the community - it was mentioned in Jim's eulogy as well.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, that was me. I really like how Alden does antique but sometimes darkening them a little adds to the versatility. In addition to the twins of your sublime boots, I did it to these Dearborns and 10th Anny Co0ney, both from Leffot……..

View attachment 1739797

Edit: I have to chuckle how my browser won’t let me spell out the name of my 10th Anny boot. Again, as a Black man I certainly appreciate that their heart is in the right place but, c’mon man…….
Some serious props to those boots. BTW, the text editor here on SF won’t let me type h0nkey either.
Nearly 20 years ago on one of the early BMW forums (Roadfly, pre-vBulletin), a similar filter was discovered as we were all trying to coordinate a meet-up on the drive to the event. We decided on an exit on the outskirts of Nashville, but the restaurant name triggered an automatic replacement of a potentially-offensive word and came out as " *Oops* Barrel". To this day, the old-school attendees still refer to the establishment as Oops Barrel.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally decided to try and get my Van sizing down for the LHS at Madison today. Half size down seemed to be the ticket outside of trying a couple widths. Hand stitch models, even stock ones, seem to not be readily in stock in popular sizes, but at least it could be ordered and the wait wasn’t too bad. These were calf, but I ordered in them in black shell. Can’t wait to get them as I move back to San Diego from Nyc.

EAF7193C-A518-4E42-BC28-8EEA1687C506.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite appropriate Savvy on a few levels. I had the pleasure of meeting Jim years ago as he actually sold me my first new pair of shells, sublime pair of walnut Daltons when I was in Chicago. Had never met him and was still in the clueless stage on shells. He was so incredibly patient and engaging that I am certain that I brought the boots as much due to his kindness as anything as that was my most expensive pair of footwear at that time. The scripture you quoted is just perfect. Additionally, I have always thought that the Savvy/Harvard wings is about as fine a design as Alden has recently released. It is the only somewhat dressy shoe that continues to tug at my purse strings even though I know I would get very little use out of them. A true testament to Jim's creativity and dedication.

Nicely done my-man.

Wonderful story! Those Walnut Daltons are some of the best shoes AE ever made... The unlined version? SUPER rare as well; I am sad I had to part with my pair.

I really like that quote, almost brings me to tears reading it.

The wings are really one of my favorite designs as well... I 100% agree it's probably up there with Alden's best makeups of late.

One shoe that Jim and I REALLY wanted to get made (but had to "settle" on the Harvard/Savvy wing LOL) was the "Campus Bal". We pushed and pushed and pushed and Alden kiboshed it as the pattern is either obsolete or too difficult to cut. We both were devastated that Alden wouldn't move on it. I really wanted a color 8 or black shell pair as they only made them in calf.

I wish @Misterg12 could get Alden to make them in memory of my/our friend. Would be a really sweet tribute to a really good man.

1642701039408.png

1642701068378.png

Whose Loden WTB make-up? I've been searching high and low for Loden Wingtip Boots, but haven't found a place that stocks them or has them for sale in my size

They are from Ground-Gripper aka Moulded Shoe in NYC. If you call, tell Ronnie the guy who bought the Loden boots from STL says hello!

They're Modified last (their specialty) and I love them to death.

Looking great in your special Ealdwine shoes! Hope that you had a great day!

Looking great TC in your Black Shell Chukkas! I hope that you enjoyed them!

Looking stellar in your PCT Boots there AuDog! Great and classic model in #8 and always nice with the Antique touch.

Don, always rocking it and those original Dr. G's are no exception!

Congratulations James on your new bluchers. Those have a great contrasting design that only Mack could dream up! I hope that you enjoy them in good health!

Serbarristan, those Color #8 CT Boots are looking just sharp and you are wearing them well with your green on green setting!

Looking great in those classic Unlined LHSes! Such a great model that can't be matched!

Thank you so much for sharing Matt, I hope that it is a beautiful service and I will try and keep him in my thoughts and prayers on Tuesday!

Galileo, those Whiskey Loafers are looking just superb and are just soaking in that morning sun!

Kerb, those Ealdwine Boots are looking just superb on you and you are wearing them tremendously well!

Savvy, just a ton of great models right there! They are all looking sharp and I love seeing you in those Loden Suede Boots!

Those boots are going to look sharp regardless of the laces that you go with, but the right one gets my vote. I like the slimmer look on them.

Yes and those boots just look absolutely superb!

Congratulations, those new boots are looking just exquisite and I am glad that you got to spend some time in Mack's just amazing looking store!

AuDog, your staple shoe is looking truly superb on you! A great new acquisition to your impressive collection!

Sazon, a day is never boring if there is a Ravello LWB involved in it! They look absolutely great on you!

AE, those Brown CXL Boots are just looking truly superb on you! Those have a great color on them!

GG, those Chamois Boots from Ealdwine are looking truly superb on you! I hope that you wore them well today!!!

-Mike

Thanks, Mike! These boots are made for walkin'!

grooveK

Reaction score
hypoThetical Thursday... if one is a 7.5E, how would an 8D fit. hypothetically, of course. in a plaza last perhaps.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hypoThetical Thursday... if one is a 7.5E, how would an 8D fit. hypothetically, of course. in a plaza last perhaps.
Half a letter width narrower (halfway between 7.5D and 7.5E) and, the obvious, longer. Those are considered sister sizes and to some interchangeable. They will have similar volume, but it will be distributed differently. If the 7.5E is a perfect fit, I'd stick with that, but you can give the 8D a try to see if it's an acceptable compromise.

barutanseijin

Reaction score

It’s less a question of which formula to apply, but rather, whether the last fits the shape of your foot. I was surprised to find that contrary to the formulaic recommendations, my Barrie size works for me in Plaza. The Plaza is good for feet that are wide up front but not in back and with low insteps & that’s pretty much my foot.

ecworks

Reaction score
These just arrived today from ShoeMart, Alden Cap Toe Shell boots in Color 8 with Antique edging on the sole.

Good and the bad:

Good: The fit is amazing, right out of the box. Didn't even need to use the shoehorn they included in the package.

Bad: Quality control rears its ugly head. Right boot, outer side, looks like some sort of chemical was dripped on the shell leather, doesn't look like dye issues but very noticeable. I've reached out to ShoeMart and sent them pics today and I'm waiting for a response. Another thing I noticed is how thin the shell leather that is used for the tongue is thinner than the tongue on my calf Indy's.

So mixed reaction to boots I was really looking forward to adding to my collection.

Attachments

• IMG-2331.jpg
    IMG-2331.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-2332.jpg
    IMG-2332.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-2333.jpg
    IMG-2333.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-2335.jpg
    IMG-2335.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-2340.jpg
    IMG-2340.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 43

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Those 990’s are nuts. Did you fade them or did they come like that? It’s very similar shade to my #8 PCT Balmorals. Looks great to me!!!

-Mike

They came that way to me as “new with defect (fading)”. However, they’re not marked as FR. Maybe they were on display or in a shop window. The date code says Dec of a year ending in 8.

I couldn’t resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics