• We would like to welcome Larimars Luxury Menswear as an official Affiliate Vendor. Larimars, based in Ontario, Canada, and specializing in handmade and semi-handmade shirts made in their family owned factory, with over 1000 fabrics from which to choose!

Please check out their thread on here, welcome them, and take advantage of their introductory offer for Styleforum. The discount code is in thread!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2022 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Curious what people's experience with Alden restoring rare shell shoes are like? Do they also redye the uppers or refinish them in anyway that changes it's color?
I don’t have any colors other than #8, but they made sure that it came looking knew— with the purple polish and all that.

My only warning is that when I had LHS resoled, the sides got shorter. So consider finding another shop for those?

marklin

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Alden’s recrafting service but the two rare shells I’ve sent back (whiskey & C4) were both returned with less-than-desirable results. For me, I can’t imagine I’ll ever do it with footwear acquired as new. Seems like a roll of the dice.

Basics for me on this dreary day in the Burg. Tom-lasted 8’s from Mack and the boys at Brogue……..

View attachment 1823064 View attachment 1823065
@Shawnc, I was thinking of sending some Whiskey in - would you mind sharing your experience? DM please, if a bit sensitive to share widely 😅

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Shawnc, I was thinking of sending some Whiskey in - would you mind sharing your experience? DM please, if a bit sensitive to share widely 😅
Happy to share here since another member started the conversation. There’s obviously interest in it and again, I’m not slamming Alden on this. The value of their recraft is unparalleled in my opinion (and I’ve used a few manufacturers service). But my whiskey came back as a color that was unrecognizable. Not quite whiskey, not quite Ravello. Never wore them, sold on eBay. Which is a shame because a whiskey plain toe is really hard to come by. If you get something used and the prior owner didn’t care for them, then you don’t have much to lose. But if they were well-cared for and needed a recraft for soles, welt cleaning, etc., I’d advise them to leave the uppers alone.

marklin

Reaction score
Happy to share here since another member started the conversation. There’s obviously interest in it and again, I’m not slamming Alden on this. The value of their recraft is unparalleled in my opinion (and I’ve used a few manufacturers service). But my whiskey came back as a color that was unrecognizable. Not quite whiskey, not quite Ravello. Never wore them, sold on eBay. Which is a shame because a whiskey plain toe is really hard to come by. If you get something used and the prior owner didn’t care for them, then you don’t have much to lose. But if they were well-cared for and needed a recraft for soles, welt cleaning, etc., I’d advise them to leave the uppers alone.
Much appreciated - thank you.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a shade like whiskey I could see it being more precarious. I do wonder if you specifically ask them to not touch the uppers would they oblige? Makes me think of a pair of color 4 boots I'm getting soon-ish, and what my long term resole plan will be heh.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a shade like whiskey I could see it being more precarious. I do wonder if you specifically ask them to not touch the uppers would they oblige? Makes me think of a pair of color 4 boots I'm getting soon-ish, and what my long term resole plan will be heh.
Mixed opinions on whether they follow instructions. Because I have had so many recrafts, I always follow up with Brenda (contact that I work with) to ensure that they got the note. So far, that has worked for me but others have indicated that their notes have been ignored.

Fortunately you’ve got some time to think about it but I will say that my C4’s came back much darker. I knew that was a risk and I’m fine with the results. In most lighting they look like 4but in some, they look 8-ish.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mixed opinions on whether they follow instructions. Because I have had so many recrafts, I always follow up with Brenda (contact that I work with) to ensure that they got the note. So far, that has worked for me but others have indicated that their notes have been ignored.

Fortunately you’ve got some time to think about it but I will say that my C4’s came back much darker. I knew that was a risk and I’m fine with the results. In most lighting they look like 4but in some, they look 8-ish.
That’s good to know just in case. I know boots I’ll be getting are on commando which isn’t my favorite anyway, so an alternate cobbler might work out better in the long run.

Featured Sponsor

What time of the year do you spend the most money on clothes?

• Spring

• Summer

• Fall

• Winter

• No difference

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greenerobeers