• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wear a pair of shoes or boots all day and the interior lining will become damp. After removing the footwear install a pair of shoe trees. An hour later when the shoes trees are removed the wood will be slightly damp.
Regarding a pair of footwear's shape retention, that comes from the quality of materials used to produce the pair, the construction. For example, lower grade leather does not retain its shape as well as higher grade leather. And a significant function of a metal shank is that it helps the pair of footwear retain its shape.
I am aware, but I remember there was a big discussion about that you should let the shoes air out for at least 30min prior to inserting trees. Once the trees are in there, less airflow to help them dry out quicker.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am aware, but I remember there was a big discussion about that you should let the shoes air out for at least 30min prior to inserting trees. Once the trees are in there, less airflow to help them dry out quicker.
☝ this is how I've always operated

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How soon is one supposed to put in shoe trees in their boots/shoes they just finished wearing for the day? I was telling my friend that if they're dry, they can be promptly inserted, but if they're wet from rain, maybe wait a half hour or longer. This got me thinking, what do the people on SF do?

I put my trees in a soon as I have removed my shoes. They reverse the wear and tear from the bending of the sole and upper from walking.

The Shoe Snob says, " shoe trees are really just for maintaining shape (and not for the other marketing gimmicks they are sold for) a lasted shoe tree will clearly do the absolute best job at maintaining that proper shape, as it follows the contour of the shoe."

moondog-sparky

Reaction score
Cigar Indy’s received!
Indoors they are VERY similar to my C8 tankers from Leffot. Outdoors definitely more cigar-like. Would prefer more olive toned shade, but really happy overall with how they turned out.

looking forward to many wears in the coming months!

Attachments

• 1E68BAB7-1B3E-4A27-8CE9-59BF9255C10C.jpeg
    1E68BAB7-1B3E-4A27-8CE9-59BF9255C10C.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 42
  • FF55CA3F-9EE0-4018-A613-F252DD7C11F6.jpeg
    FF55CA3F-9EE0-4018-A613-F252DD7C11F6.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 43

BAK

Reaction score
There is 100% a benefit to removing moisture/perspiration from the shoe, which cedar does. You could use a metal or plastic shoe tree and let the leather hold onto all that moisture and salt that your feet produce but that's only going to reduce the life of the shoe. That alone is a worthy function completely separate from maintaining shape. Maybe even more so depending on someone's priorities.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is 100% a benefit to removing moisture/perspiration from the shoe, which cedar does. You could use a metal or plastic shoe tree and let the leather hold onto all that moisture and salt that your feet produce but that's only going to reduce the life of the shoe. That alone is a worthy function completely separate from maintaining shape. Maybe even more so depending on someone's priorities.
So I take it that upon taking off your shoes you insert your shoe trees? Or do you wait a few minutes to let them breathe?

BAK

Reaction score
So I take it that upon taking off your shoes you insert your shoe trees? Or do you wait a few minutes to let them breathe?
Personally if they haven't been on my feet too long or don't feel damp I stick the trees in immediately. If I feel they're very damp from wearing all day then I'll let them breathe for 20-30 minutes and just let air flow do some of the immediate heavy lifting, then insert trees.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess it depends on the shoe. I don't drive in dress shoes, so I take them off before getting in the car and put on driving slippers (driving shoes is a misnomer in my mind). When I get home I put the trees in, so they get about an hour of breathing after a day of wearing. I keep my dress shoes in a bureau in my bedroom. If I wear my boots, I put the trees in immediately, b/c I drive home in them and they get trees in the garage where they reside on a shoe rack. Often I wear my boots for shorter periods anyway b/c I don't wear shoes for 8-10 hours straight during the weekend or days off. But, I sometimes do on causal Fridays.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I think that's a bit of an urban legend. That wood isn't going to soak up tons...soaked shoes are usually recommended to be filled with newspaper. I thought they were primarily to help maintain shape.

On the internet, the urban legends and anecdotal speculation around shoe trees rivals those of Sasquatch. Of course, since Bigfoot is real, I do use shoe trees in all my boots.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If my shoes get really wet from rain, I will turn them on their side for 24 hours and then put the trees in. This is what C&J suggests. I also read somewhere that Alden recommends lettings shoes "cool down" for 30 minutes before inserting the trees. I don't usually follow this and just insert them when I take them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads