• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a little reassurance please. This is my first MTO. I own three other Indy's, a few NST, Long Wings and loafers. I'm questioning the stitching on the left boot. It seems off to me. What do you all think? Thanks! View attachment 1712101 View attachment 1712102

The look handstitched instead of machine. There's always going to be a little something off with handsewn. Wear them in good health.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been on the fence about ordering a pair of black shell boots. Was always concerned that black was too formal and that it would look weird given my casual attire of jeans and a t-shirt/polo. What are some of your favorite black shell boots that you own and who are they made by?

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hunting Green Suede Indys....a lot of green going on today!
20211130_143735.jpg
20211130_143800.jpg

20211130_143820.jpg

Last edited:

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Been on the fence about ordering a pair of black shell boots. Was always concerned that black was too formal and that it would look weird given my casual attire of jeans and a t-shirt/polo. What are some of your favorite black shell boots that you own and who are they made by?

Style carries more weight than color; a casual style in black remains casual. For example, black denim & black sneakers are still casual; same with black Indy boots.

Favorite black boots? Black shell Indy boots on neocork. The regular 401s are good, too.

Profligate47

Reaction score
View attachment 1711852

Here is to my Dad who passed away last night at 93. He loved this photo and recently passed on the hat to me, which had belonged to his father. He missed his wife of 64 years terribly. I will be grateful to see 2021 end. I have lost my mother, father and oldest son in the last 4 months. This **** has got to let up soon.

View attachment 1711855
So sorry. Be well and safe in the new year...

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Scotch grain for a little breakfast outing.

IMG_1148.jpg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Olshan boot works well with denim

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently own only one pair of black shell boots. They are Allen Edmonds Dundee 3 eye chukka’s. But I’d really like an Indy and or a plain toe on Barrie last and 360 welt.

branpureza

Reaction score
These Mogavero boots by Ealdwine are my favorites. Plain toe on Trubalance makes them really versatile. They look amazing with jeans.

F256FF86-5C84-46C0-AC22-92C11DE3591E.jpeg

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Style carries more weight than color; a casual style in black remains casual. For example, black denim & black sneakers are still casual; same with black Indy boots.

Favorite black boots? Black shell Indy boots on neocork. The regular 401s are good, too.

+1 black shell indys on cork - The Docker Indy from Brogue
@Hisheirness23 :
Black Shell Wick Boots (plaintoe, commando, nickel hardware) - Snake Oil Provisions
Black Shell Tankers - AoM
Black Shell Wingtip Boots - The Shoe Mart

stormboy202

Reaction score
Yes! HUGE!

Love, love, love rugby shirts. Ever since I found them, they have become my cold weather staple (uniform). My father loves rugbies and I have taken that page from his book.

They are ColumbiaKnit in Oregon. 100% made in USA! I have them custom cut extra sleeve length for me since my arms are too long for standard sizing.

Nice makeup, I really like those. What last?

I am so sorry about your family. My deepest condolences; I will say a prayer for your healing and family. I had no idea about your son or mother earlier this year. :(

Very nice looking man and a beautiful hat. I know you'll wear it well when the time comes. They may be gone, but they are not forgotten! He will be enjoying eternal rest with his wife.

It may be difficult, but let the holiday spirit and Christmas brighten your day. Here's to a new year with fresh beginnings and happy memories.
Oh that’s great! I’ve always liked the looked but never took the plunge - I’ll have to give ColumbiaKnit a glance. Just picked up one from.. Withernot? Thanks for the deets

darkclassic

Reaction score

AoM NST Mini Tanker Black Shell.jpeg

NSTs in black are exceptional. If you are fixed on an actual boot, I'll second @sazon and recommend AoM's tankers. If you open to a chukka though, I'd suggest these mini tankers from Alden of Madison. (pic from AoM)

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh that’s great! I’ve always liked the looked but never took the plunge - I’ll have to give ColumbiaKnit a glance. Just picked up one from.. Withernot? Thanks for the deets

They are very nice; I will check out your suggestion! They are so comfortable.

I have a sneaking suspicion that ColumbiaKnit actually makes Withernot's shirts after reading Withernot's story of how they came to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads