• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy smokes, that's a substantial investment / collection there!

At least for the rare shell, those are somewhat investment pieces in that there isn't the same depreciation as soon as you drive them off the car lot. Some even gain value.

serbarristan

Reaction score
This weekend I was reorganizing and rotating shoes/boots for the season and thought I'd take a picture of the my current collection.

Over the last 18 months it has grown from 1 pair to this :confused: and you guys are all to blame! Feels like my shoe game is lacking though
:D

Boots
View attachment 1692921

Shoes
View attachment 1692922

Today rocking the Brown Regina Grain Jumpers. Not sure if just me but in bright sun I see an almost burgundy-ish undertone come out on this leather which prompted me to try the GG burgundy laces. I think to works!

Happy hump day gentlemen!

View attachment 1692924
Even amongst all the rare shell, that NOS Madison Trubalance chamois boot is really catching my eye. Man. If my snuff double leather workshop model doesn't go, I know what my deposit is shifting to.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hunting Green Wednesday.
EF8D8431-5E66-40B3-875D-70DD9285324A.jpeg

lcdx22

Reaction score
Even amongst all the rare shell, that NOS Madison Trubalance chamois boot is really catching my eye. Man. If my snuff double leather workshop model doesn't go, I know what my deposit is shifting to.

Yeah that boot is phenomenal. TB works so great on chamois/suede plain toe boots. And the contrast between the upper and the welt is great too.

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
Looking for advice on the Indy boot in terms of width and fit of CXL vs Suede.
My 405 Pumpkins are 13E and very comfortable.
My Natural CXL Indys are 13D and very comfortable as well which I attribute to the "stretchiness / give" of the CXL.
My 401 are 13D as well and I wear them for 12-13 hour days without any problems but I am still not sure whether they are calf or CXL.

Now to the question....if I want to go for a pair of suede Indy boots should I go for 13E as I hear/read on these pages that suede can be a bit more snug than CXL or calf leather.....or can I take a chance with a 13D and hope they fit comfortably?
If that means thin socks to begin until break-in that is ok with me.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

I didn't see anyone answer this, might have missed it.

I would likely go with the 13E if I were you based on your description. It is true that CXL will fit more loose than other leathers. I find CXL and shell to be the most loose in a given size. Calf and chamois fit a bit tighter, and suede is generally the tightest fit for me. With boots I can still always wear a 9D, some are just tighter than others, but they still fit fine. I did find with loafers that while I can fit a 9D in a shell unlined loafer, I need a 9.5D in suede.

I would expect the suede to fit close to your pumpkin calf if not just a hair tighter. If you like the fit of your pumpkin calf in 13E I would go 13E for suede.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't see anyone answer this, might have missed it.

I would likely go with the 13E if I were you based on your description. It is true that CXL will fit more loose than other leathers. I find CXL and shell to be the most loose in a given size. Calf and chamois fit a bit tighter, and suede is generally the tightest fit for me. With boots I can still always wear a 9D, some are just tighter than others, but they still fit fine. I did find with loafers that while I can fit a 9D in a shell unlined loafer, I need a 9.5D in suede.

I would expect the suede to fit close to your pumpkin calf if not just a hair tighter. If you like the fit of your pumpkin calf in 13E I would go 13E for suede.

Thanks for the detailed response, all noted. I rolled the dice and now the 13D suede pair that I was looking at on ebay is on it's way to the USA warehouse and from there to Singapore so in about 12-15 days time we will know how it fits and whether it works or not.
Toes crossed ?

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This weekend I was reorganizing and rotating shoes/boots for the season and thought I'd take a picture of the my current collection.

Over the last 18 months it has grown from 1 pair to this :confused: and you guys are all to blame! Feels like my shoe game is lacking though
:D

Boots
View attachment 1692921

Shoes
View attachment 1692922

Today rocking the Brown Regina Grain Jumpers. Not sure if just me but in bright sun I see an almost burgundy-ish undertone come out on this leather which prompted me to try the GG burgundy laces. I think to works!

Happy hump day gentlemen!

View attachment 1692924
Great collection! jelly :fistbump:
Love the regina grain jumpers. Whose MU?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting how shell develops rolls, all of my shell boots develop rolls in the same spots, right/left boots, and they are remarkably similar from pair to pair. It's fun to watch the development of wear patterns. I can't have perfect footwear, so embrace the rolls is the mantra.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a V tip Thursday forum pals.

IMG_0998.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads