• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are they vintage? Curren 401s going back at least several years have been CXL
They are the 401C, a discontinued run from Leffot. Not sure of the age, as they were generously gifted to me from @audog.

DG123

Reaction score

I knew an employee at an Alden retailer who wore that same shell chukka model on the selling floor everyday. I am not sure if he still works there. On one hand I think his wearing shell could help potential customers better understand what shell looks like on the foot, but on the other hand his own pair's size seemed too large for him so its vamp and quarters had excessive rolling/wrinkling. I asked him about it one day and he replied that his preference was to have relatively loose fitting footwear. Your pair appears to be a good, proper fit.

DG123

Reaction score
I’m not sure, but I think my 401s are black calfskin.
View attachment 1692350

My take is that 401's are produced using a leather named CXL, but it's not the same CXL used for model 403. Some Alden dealers consider 401 to be black calf/work boot leather, others label it as CXL .Alden's website catalog labels 401 as work boot leather, however an Alden factory employee told me it was actually CXL.
My best guess is that the dyes, and perhaps other additions during the tanning process, produce a black leather for model 401 that is a bit different to the touch/feel/wear of brown leather model 403.

Last edited:

lcdx22

Reaction score
Very exciting day for me. Never thought I'd get my hands on a pair of these whiskey NST saddle Bluchers from AoC especially given my size. But it happened this week. Picked up this pair used in pristine condition.

Happy Tuesday gentlemen ?

PXL_20211026_132517046.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Very exciting day for me. Never thought I'd get my hands on a pair of these whiskey NST saddle Bluchers from AoC especially given my size. But it happened this week. Picked up this pair used in pristine condition.

Happy Tuesday gentlemen ?

View attachment 1692505

Love that model! Great pickup.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be careful if those jeans are new and unwashed. I had some indigo transfer from my Momotaro jeans to my tan suede Indys.
These are Pure Blue Japan, I've been wanting a pair of Momo's in black but I've noticed indigo doesn't really rub onto my suede boots. I generally spray them with tarrago before wearing them, so I guess the spray also protects them from dye transfer. Thank you for the heads up, nonetheless!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy wingtip Wednesday forum pals.

IMG_0995.jpg

lcdx22

Reaction score
This weekend I was reorganizing and rotating shoes/boots for the season and thought I'd take a picture of the my current collection.

Over the last 18 months it has grown from 1 pair to this :confused: and you guys are all to blame! Feels like my shoe game is lacking though
:D

Boots
DSC_5566~2.JPG

Shoes
DSC_5676.JPG

Today rocking the Brown Regina Grain Jumpers. Not sure if just me but in bright sun I see an almost burgundy-ish undertone come out on this leather which prompted me to try the GG burgundy laces. I think to works!

Happy hump day gentlemen!

PXL_20211023_151603510.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads