• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DG123

Reaction score
Got my first Indys! But I wanted to check something with you guys. The right heel seems to be offset slightly medially with extra space on the heel block on the lateral side. In other words, the heel is not completely centered. It's not egregious, but I've tried to capture it in the photos below. Also, the stitching near the welt joint seems a little sloppy. Am I good?

View attachment 1691862
View attachment 1691863
View attachment 1691864
View attachment 1691865
View attachment 1691867
View attachment 1691872

Left boot for comparison:
View attachment 1691866

If you purchased the boots from an authorized Alden dealer, and you are not pleased, send the pair back for a refund or an exchange? Separate from the quality control question, how is the fit for you ?

MacGuffen

Reaction score
If you purchased the boots from an authorized Alden dealer, and you are not pleased, send the pair back for a refund or an exchange? Separate from the quality control question, how is the fit for you ?
Fit is perfect and I already love the comfort. It's a bit of a hassle to return since I'm not in the States. Judging by the lack of replies I'm guessing it's within normal tolerance for Alden.

After some great experiences with Spanish and English shoemakers for around $400, I found the QC a bit disappointing for these $600 Alden boots.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit is perfect and I already love the comfort. It's a bit of a hassle to return since I'm not in the States. Judging by the lack of replies I'm guessing it's within normal tolerance for Alden.

After some great experiences with Spanish and English shoemakers for around $400, I found the QC a bit disappointing for these $600 Alden boots.

Personally, I would recommend contacting the retailer and seeing what they recommend. I would not keep those myself.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Personally, I would recommend contacting the retailer and seeing what they recommend. I would not keep those myself.
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. If it has no functional consequence I probably won't bother exchanging. These are MTO with commando soles, so I'll probably have to wait until 2022 for a new pair.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. If it has no functional consequence I probably won't bother exchanging. These are MTO with commando soles, so I'll probably have to wait until 2022 for a new pair.
I had a pair come in with the wrong soles (the whole order lot came in with wrong soles), and Brian in DC was able to get Alden to resole them with the correct sole. It might be something similar where the shop can arrange for Alden to rewelt/resole them and correct the poor workmanship.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
I had a pair come in with the wrong soles (the whole order lot came in with wrong soles), and Brian in DC was able to get Alden to resole them with the correct sole. It might be something similar where the shop can arrange for Alden to rewelt/resole them and correct the poor workmanship.
Thanks for the suggestion. So we're in agreement that the heel offset isn't normal?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. So we're in agreement that the heel offset isn't normal?

i would just ask for another pair, it’s not like they are an ultra rare or limited run.

Reaction score
Check out Dashing Chicago. My go to shop. Just picked up a pair of special order snuff suede chukkas this weekend.

Quoting my own post since I did not get any response last time. I’m finding that my Barrie lasted pairs are now fitting tighter over my instep. Maybe I’ve spent too much time with TB or feet have changed. Any case, I need a new size in Barrie and I’m in Midwest, with no local retailers. I tried 8.5E Barrie against my 8.5D TB and there is no instep pressure but the length and volume is noticeably more (see pic with Barrie left, TB right). I can make do with thicker socks but wondering if anyone has any advice that will help me dial in the fit. Thanks in advance.
View attachment 1689607

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pumpkins and Black Levi Cone Denim (made in USA). Ready for Halloween
?

1120563F-9945-40EB-93CE-5E79E2D5449A.jpeg

DG123

Reaction score

I consider fit to be what matters most. Regarding your quality of production questions, I took a few photos of my pair of model 405 Indy boots, trying to capture the same perspectives you shared. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    297.5 KB · Views: 31

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent addition. Best part is double leather antique. I feel a bit commandoed out so love the profile of these soles.

To stay on the recent hot topic, their Arabica Lux counterparts are on their way. Can't wait to see the leather in person. Seems like it's gonna be a super versatile and a go to this fall.

Happy Monday fellas ?

View attachment 1691828 View attachment 1691829

Wow, those are just beautiful. What color shell is that?

I'm still considering (eventually) getting the 45634 in burnished tan (more like AE chili).

MacGuffen

Reaction score
I consider fit to be what matters most. Regarding your quality of production questions, I took a few photos of my pair of model 405 Indy boots, trying to capture the same perspectives you shared. Hope this helps.
Thank you for taking the time to take these pictures! That does look similar to me. Alden said it shouldn't affect wear and if there was ever a defect in the future they would take care of it. I think I'll keep them. Thanks to everyone for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads