• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac106

Reaction score
Looking for advice on the Indy boot in terms of width and fit of CXL vs Suede.
My 405 Pumpkins are 13E and very comfortable.
My Natural CXL Indys are 13D and very comfortable as well which I attribute to the "stretchiness / give" of the CXL.
My 401 are 13D as well and I wear them for 12-13 hour days without any problems but I am still not sure whether they are calf or CXL.

Now to the question....if I want to go for a pair of suede Indy boots should I go for 13E as I hear/read on these pages that suede can be a bit more snug than CXL or calf leather.....or can I take a chance with a 13D and hope they fit comfortably?
If that means thin socks to begin until break-in that is ok with me.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

401s are CXL

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Monday. AldenTobacco Reverse Chamois Indy Boots.

Alden Tobacco Reverse Chamois Indy Boots - 2021-10-25 - 1.jpg

Alden Tobacco Reverse Chamois Indy Boots - 2021-10-25 - 2.jpg

Alden Tobacco Reverse Chamois Indy Boots - 2021-10-25 - 3.jpg

-Mike

lcdx22

Reaction score
Recent addition. Best part is double leather antique. I feel a bit commandoed out so love the profile of these soles.

To stay on the recent hot topic, their Arabica Lux counterparts are on their way. Can't wait to see the leather in person. Seems like it's gonna be a super versatile and a go to this fall.

Happy Monday fellas ?

IMG_20211025_105902_695.jpg
IMG_20211025_105902_812.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Recent addition. Best part is double leather antique. I feel a bit commandoed out so love the profile of these soles.

To stay on the recent hot topic, their Arabica Lux counterparts are on their way. Can't wait to see the leather in person. Seems like it's gonna be a super versatile and a go to this fall.

Happy Monday fellas ?

View attachment 1691828 View attachment 1691829
Beautiful, nice denim as well.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Happy Monday fellas ?

Amazing ?

Omega Man

Reaction score
Audog speaks the truth. I've been wearing all my shell in the winter here in Canada for several years now. All of them are still in great shape.

The only issue I have run into is the extra care required on the welt and edges. They need to be refinished more frequently.
But the uppers? No issues. They look great. Don't baby your shell!
Where about in Canada? The salt / sand are atrocious to leather uppers. Any issues on cordovan? How do you prep your cordovan (before and after) for snow/salt?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where about in Canada? The salt / sand are atrocious to leather uppers. Any issues on cordovan? How do you prep your cordovan (before and after) for snow/salt?
Lots of salt used here in Illinois, I always wipe down uppers with a damp cloth after getting them in snow/salt. Seems to keep damage to a minimum.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Happy Monday fellas ?

Phenomenal pair! Congrats!

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Got my first Indys! But I wanted to check something with you guys. The right heel seems to be offset slightly medially with extra space on the heel block on the lateral side. In other words, the heel is not completely centered. It's not egregious, but I've tried to capture it in the photos below. Also, the stitching near the welt joint seems a little sloppy. Am I good?

Bilde 25.10.2021, 16 54 20.jpg
Bilde 25.10.2021, 16 54 27.jpg
Bilde 25.10.2021, 16 54 32.jpg
Bilde 25.10.2021, 16 54 35.jpg
Bilde 25.10.2021, 16 59 17.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg

Left boot for comparison:
Bilde 25.10.2021, 16 57 21.jpg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Happy Monday fellas ?

Looks phenomenal! My pair is finally arriving today, had a major delay trying to get trees!

-Mike

adrs1157

Reaction score
Toronto. I refinish the edges once every couple seasons or so. Sanding and resolene usually - sometimes recolour but I prefer the patina.

Uppers shrug off salt and slush. Just a wipe down and let dry. After drying, more salt may rise to the surface. Just wipe again. I typically condition once a year maybe twice if the winter is bad.

I have had zero salt penetration into the uppers. No salt damage, no discolouring. Water resistance is less than it used to be, but nothing makes it into the boot. Just don't let salt sit all season on it and always let the leather dry when wet.

Honestly, the salt and dirt accumulation on the welt, edge and nooks and crannies around the heel is the biggest issue. The cordovan itself is the easy part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads