• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Granddaughter soccer "tournament" this morning, 46 degrees F out there, flannel lined jeans, turtleneck sweater and jacket and it was still cold. Arabica Lux boots got the call
IMG_9237.JPG

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Granddaughter soccer "tournament" this morning, 46 degrees F out there, flannel lined jeans, turtleneck sweater and jacket and it was still cold. Arabica Lux boots got the call View attachment 1690803
Is this your first wear for those Arabica Lux boots? How do they age? They have similar pull-up properties like CXL?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you from Texas? :)
Nope, just the older I get, the colder I get. 30 yrs, wouldn't have bothered me in jeans and a long sleeve shirt, but now, just sitting in a lawn chair for a few hours....brrrrrrrrr. Even my wife, who is the person who doesn't wear a coat in winter, said "It's kind of chilly out here"

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this your first wear for those Arabica Lux boots? How do they age? They have similar pull-up properties like CXL?
Probably 5th wear, so far aging very nicely. I have heard they are similar in properties to CXL, certainly the grain is evident. I'm kind of liking the leather for a casual boot.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably 5th wear, so far aging very nicely. I have heard they are similar in properties to CXL, certainly the grain is evident. I'm kind of liking the leather for a casual boot.
How does it compare to the rusticalf?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've worn Alden model 405 for about nine years and this past week received my first pair of model 401:

View attachment 1690908
Have a pair of 401's that I like, but they are loose grain monsters. Probably should have qualified as seconds, as they came looking like the cow they are made from had a rough life. Good boots however.

DG123

Reaction score
Have a pair of 401's that I like, but they are loose grain monsters. Probably should have qualified as seconds, as they came looking like the cow they are made from had a rough life. Good boots however.

My understanding is that 405's are produced using a work boot leather named "Mahogany Legacy". 403's are produced using CXL. 401's are also CXL, but it may be a bit different CXL than what is used for model 403 production. I do not own a pair of 403's but my new pair of 401's are a softer to the touch-feel-on-the-foot leather than my pairs of model 405.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My understanding is that 405's are produced using a work boot leather named "Mahogany Legacy". 403's are produced using CXL. 401's are also CXL, but it may be a bit different CXL than what is used for model 403 production. I do not own a pair of 403's but my new pair of 401's are a softer to the touch-feel-on-the-foot leather than my pairs of model 405.
Agree, my 401 and 403 are a softer feel than the 405's. I think that is the nature of CXL, especially after being worn a few times.

DG123

Reaction score
Agree, my 401 and 403 are a softer feel than the 405's. I think that is the nature of CXL, especially after being worn a few times.

I very much like the firm feel of the 405 leather. However, my selection of available Alden footwear that would provide me a proper fit is very limited. The 405 last , upper pattern, and leather material for me is the best fit I've found, truly perfect.. I expect the 401 , due to the softer leather, will over time result in a looser fit. But it's still probably better than the fit I could get with any other Alden shoe/boot model.
I am 12.5 B in the Indy boot. In other Alden styles I've tried 12C and 13B, but not achieved a proper fit.
Going forward I've had on order for more than 6 months a pair of the 404 Kudu leather Indy boot. Hopefully the fit will be good for me, but I've never tried on a pair of that model. Also I've considered ordering from the regular special make-up runs of Color 8 Indy boots w/neocork sole but am not sure how the shell fits compared to 405 Mahogany leather, so I've not yet ordered a pair of those.
The 405 size 12.5B fit for me is perfect length, snug at the ball width and across the forefoot, and when laced there still remains a gap between the eyelet stays. If the leather used is too soft then the ball width fit loses its snugness and when laced the eyelet stays come together, touching each other. So that's my concern/question about Indy boots produced with CXL, or, Kudu, or shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads