• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of Indy 405 boots that I've wanted for the past 3.5+ and finally just pulled the trigger.
I am debating just immediately sending them off to Bedo's Leatherworks to have Steve convert them to a 360 degree welt and replace the fiberboard heels with stacked leather. Such a great boot that could be so much better if Alden just tried a little harder

Why would Alden mess with a formula that's worked and succeeded for the past 70 years?

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would Alden mess with a formula that's worked and succeeded for the past 70 years?
Out of curiosity, I searched his YouTube channel and he performed this exact change before. End result came out nice and it was interesting to see the fiberboard heel peel off in patches as opposed to one single piece. Not sure if the fiberboard heel is more comfortable or not, but performing that swap will at least make recrafting of the heel block easier/cleaner.

At the end of the day, whatever makes you happy is what I always encourage! I don't think changing the welt is going to ruin the overall profile of the shoe. I actually don't prefer the 270 welt as it always makes the heel cup bulge over the heel block and to me looks kinda funky, especially for a boot.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ealdwine Innes. I seldom wear ties these days, but my mother recently gifted me my grandfather’s collection of tie bars, so I had to pull a @savvysartorial for Monday (hope he approves). Good luck out there, pals.
41E4A7F0-10EA-4D56-B00C-BFF52C2B84DE.jpeg
EF2529EA-B3DB-40EA-A82A-D91CDDCDEB80.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I searched his YouTube channel and he performed this exact change before. End result came out nice and it was interesting to see the fiberboard heel peel off in patches as opposed to one single piece. Not sure if the fiberboard heel is more comfortable or not, but performing that swap will at least make recrafting of the heel block easier/cleaner.

At the end of the day, whatever makes you happy is what I always encourage! I don't think changing the welt is going to ruin the overall profile of the shoe. I actually don't prefer the 270 welt as it always makes the heel cup bulge over the heel block and to me looks kinda funky, especially for a boot.
Personally, I have a pair of snuff Indys that are 360 reverse; the 360 welt makes them look overly chunky. My 11EE doesn't help with that, but the standard Indy set up is a good blend of work boot and sleekness.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Alden friends! I'm very interested in a couple 379x makeups out there--I find the Munson-style lasts (e.g., Viberg's 1035 and 2055) to fit me much better than any almond-shape last. I could use your advice:

The 11d Trubalance fits me well--a bit big in the heel and a little tight on my toes, but manageable. The 11d Barrie fits my foot well everywhere except it chomps my ring and pinky toes. The 11.5 Barrie is way too big in the ankle and instep. I think I have the dreaded flipper feet with narrow ankles, wide forefoot, and moderate-to-high arches. I Brannock 11.5d HtB and 10.5e HtT.

Can any 379x wearers weigh in on the sizing vs. Trubalance and Barrie? Many thanks!

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Hello! I asked this just up-thread but you appear to be uniquely qualified. How does 379x fit as compared to Trubalance (or Barrie)? I’m an 11 in Trubalance but between an 11 and 11.5 in Barrie due to toe space, so trying to figure out where the 379x falls in the toe spectrum.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads