• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of Indy 405 boots that I've wanted for the past 3.5+ and finally just pulled the trigger.
I am debating just immediately sending them off to Bedo's Leatherworks to have Steve convert them to a 360 degree welt and replace the fiberboard heels with stacked leather. Such a great boot that could be so much better if Alden just tried a little harder
Enjoy them as is, and then resole when needed. Start their second life. Lbvs!

Cruzin56

Reaction score
Sporting my Ravello long wings
3384505E-3FB8-4B17-9C43-AD41614AD259.jpeg
from the Shoe Mart today. Have a good one!

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
Not sure why a 360 welt would be better. I doubt i’d notice if some elves switched out the heel stack either.

I would just wear them. If you can’t live with them, sell ‘em. It should be easy enough.
For me it's the way the big chunky welt abruptly stops near the heel and then there's a huge crevice where the heel is. The 360 welt just makes it look so much cleaner. I think Alden could put in a thick rand to make the transition better visually but I get the idea of not messing with a design that's as time tested as this one

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For me it's the way the big chunky welt abruptly stops near the heel and then there's a huge crevice where the heel is. The 360 welt just makes it look so much cleaner. I think Alden could put in a thick rand to make the transition better visually but I get the idea of not messing with a design that's as time tested as this one
I had heard once, and have no idea if it's true or not, that it has something to do with the Thomas heel on Indy boots. Never really. bothered me, but I understand what you are saying.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had heard once, and have no idea if it's true or not, that it has something to do with the Thomas heel on Indy boots. Never really. bothered me, but I understand what you are saying.

that’s correct

lcdx22

Reaction score

If you really wanted a 360 welt why not buy one of many styles designed by various retailers that come with a 360 split reverse welt already. Same price as what you got including the welt you want

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Alden 405 Indy boot is perhaps, the quintessential light duty work boot. Not for those who need a steel toe, but for anything other, just a great work boot. The fact that they have become "fashion" boots should not detract from the fact that they are actual work boots. Not inexpensive work boots, but work boots none the less. It used to frustrate me to get marks/scuffs/scrapes on my Indy's, but when I think of the original design criteria of a work boot...then I'm cool with whatever happens to them...It's a boot, no matter what welt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads