• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
47B87164-2FC6-4949-ADA8-A2570449749A.jpeg

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of Indy 405 boots that I've wanted for the past 3.5+ and finally just pulled the trigger.
I am debating just immediately sending them off to Bedo's Leatherworks to have Steve convert them to a 360 degree welt and replace the fiberboard heels with stacked leather. Such a great boot that could be so much better if Alden just tried a little harder

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of Indy 405 boots that I've wanted for the past 3.5+ and finally just pulled the trigger.
I am debating just immediately sending them off to Bedo's Leatherworks to have Steve convert them to a 360 degree welt and replace the fiberboard heels with stacked leather. Such a great boot that could be so much better if Alden just tried a little harder
That is something only you can decide :) Personally, I would just wear the stuff out of them as they are, but that's just me. Have a great weekend.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a couple pairs that I would have preferred a different sole, but when buying, it's always the question, do I wait for perfection or do I buy what's available? I got a pair of Brooks Brothers Alfred Sargent suede chukkas when they were the last of their kind for less than half price. I wish they were on leather soles, but alas I they were on the dreaded dainite instead. I bought them. When the heel wears out - I've never worn out the sole of dainite, I will have them replaced with leather soles and they will be the light and travel friendly chukkas I was looking for all along.

My thought is always wear it as is, unless it negatively affects the purpose of the boot/shoe. Then, when it's ready for repair, change as much as you want. The only thing I'd consider changing immediately are eyelets/speedhooks to a different metal because those will never need replacing on their own, but soles always will.

barutanseijin

Reaction score

Not sure why a 360 welt would be better. I doubt i’d notice if some elves switched out the heel stack either.

I would just wear them. If you can’t live with them, sell ‘em. It should be easy enough.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only realistic benefit you're going to gain from going from fiberboard to leather heels is being able to tell yourself that your heels are leather. I've never had a comfort or a durability issue with an Alden heel. Steve does great work and he's usually my go-to but he's the only cobbler I'm aware of who even brings fiberboard up.

lcdx22

Reaction score

You've waited 3.5 years to get them and now you want to spend 2x to make those changes? To each their own but I'd rather get another pair of boots for the price it will cost you to do that work. Not worth it unless it means something to you to get this work done. Thousands of Indy boots have been worn and lasted decades as is.

Nothing against Steve or changing the welt as I've had Steve do a welt and full sole/heel for me. His work is phenomenal and is my go to guy. Just sent think this is necessary in brand new boots.

If you really want this done at east wait to do it in a few years when you need to do a resole.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just a question, but has anyone here worn through a pair of 405's soles??? I have a couple pair that are years old and the soles look almost new.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a question, but has anyone here worn through a pair of 405's soles??? I have a couple pair that are years old and the soles look almost new.
This is coming from a place of love and respect, but I think you may have too many pairs to ever wear down some of the sturdier soles like the neocork.

chrfi

Reaction score

The 360 and a stormwent make the boots quite a bit different. Here are mine:

wQaR2ZS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads