• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AB13D92C-7B18-446E-91FB-F434F02EA940.jpeg

R.I.P. Scout

Loyal companion, faithful steed, wildlife enthusiast, couch surfer, peanut butter gobbler, and Alden aficionado.

I would give up my entire collection to bring her back.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1673443
R.I.P. Scout

Loyal companion, faithful steed, wildlife enthusiast, couch surfer, peanut butter gobbler, and Alden aficionado.

I would give up my entire collection to bring her back.
Man I hate to hear this. My thoughts are with you my brother

coooaaat

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of 990s and need some pointers on sizing, because I think these are the first pair of leather shoes I've ever owned that fit me.

I'm a Brannock size 11B (this is a recent discovery), ordered a 10.5B in the 990. The heel is snug, no noticeable slip. Facings are parallel when tied (wow, they're not touching!). I can wriggle my toes and don't feel the sides or end of the shoe, but it's hard to make a judgement call on the fit since the leather is so thick and stiff. This is my first pair of cordovan shoes, so it's all new to me. I'm a little anxious to bend my feet when I try them on for fear of creasing them. Any words of encouragement for a newbie?

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of 990s and need some pointers on sizing, because I think these are the first pair of leather shoes I've ever owned that fit me.

I'm a Brannock size 11B (this is a recent discovery), ordered a 10.5B in the 990. The heel is snug, no noticeable slip. Lacings are parallel when tight (wow, they're not touching!). I can wriggle my toes and don't feel the sides or end of the shoe, but it's hard to make a judgement call on the fit since the leather is so thick and stiff. This is my first pair of cordovan shoes, so it's all new to me. I'm a little anxious to bend my feet when I try them on for fear of creasing them. Any words of encouragement for a newbie?
Just my 2 cents worth, but go for it!

barutanseijin

Reaction score

I'm a Brannock size 11B (this is a recent discovery), ordered a 10.5B in the 990. The heel is snug, no noticeable slip. Facings are parallel when tied (wow, they're not touching!). I can wriggle my toes and don't feel the sides or end of the shoe, but it's hard to make a judgement call on the fit since the leather is so thick and stiff. This is my first pair of cordovan shoes, so it's all new to me. I'm a little anxious to bend my feet when I try them on for fear of creasing them. Any words of encouragement for a newbie?

Sounds good! You don’t want them too tight.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dumb newbie question, what day(s) are for vtips? (PS I love those)

Thanks. The answer is “any day that moves you.”

coooaaat

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth, but go for it!
Sounds good! You don’t want them too tight.
Thanks both. I am going to overcome my disbelief that I have no complaints about the fit of these shoes and christen them. My only fear now is becoming one of those guys with so many pairs of Aldens that I can form orbital arrangements with them.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks both. I am going to overcome my disbelief that I have no complaints about the fit of these shoes and christen them. My only fear now is becoming one of those guys with so many pairs of Aldens that I can form orbital arrangements with them.
That fear will probably come true earlier than you think. It is real.
For quite some time I thought I can't spend Alden prices and stayed away, then a promotional offer from Alden of Madison for a pair of Indys in my size (US13E) came along and I decided to take the plunge. Within a year I was at 4 pairs of Indys and 1 on pre-order and added another Indy pre-order by 15th month.
Wallet & Wife are both worried now with the obsession, as am I !!!
I am sure many of our journeys are along more or less similar lines.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome.
F1E5FDDC-C5E2-4F3E-9C8C-406A3B257857.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Orbital arrangements?, sh*t I some of us can form galaxies....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads