• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

denimondenimondenim

Reaction score
it's rough but not bumpy and definitely dry. I figured worst case scenario I might need a bone, if the vsc doesn't remedy the issue, then I'll try the spoon method. I've been thinking of purchasing Brift H Ebony stick.....it's look pretty cool...main reason I want it lol
I wear my LHS pretty hard for loafers since they feel sturdy and solid as opposed to dainty as my other loafers. They're no strangers to puddles, mud, rain and sand lmao

im pro bone over here! also pro wearing lhs hard. theyre probably my most worn pair rn. year round here in LA.

question for the group: my 987s are due for a resole. the soles lasted about a year. should i restore or try something like flexwelt or jr?

have a good day yall.

EEE22F6D-C594-41AB-B8F0-CBD71CC70D7C.jpeg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im pro bone over here! also pro wearing lhs hard. theyre probably my most worn pair rn. year round here in LA.

question for the group: my 987s are due for a resole. the soles lasted about a year. should i restore or try something like flexwelt or jr?

have a good day yall.

View attachment 1672346

My goodness, these look incredible. I would be curious to see a pic of the soles as I can't imagine needing a resole after only a year.

What's in a name? Take a look, old whiskey (chukka's) really don't show much variation from new whiskey (perf. caps). There is however significant variation between makers as the C&J's looks like a different color......

20210920_Whiskey2.jpg
20210920_Whiskey1.jpg

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

have a good day yall.

View attachment 1672346

Do you wear them on gravel roads? Do you walk 30 miles a day to work? Do you wear them in the rain? Why do they need a resole after only one year?

denimondenimondenim

Reaction score
My goodness, these look incredible. I would be curious to see a pic of the soles as I can't imagine needing a resole after only a year.

What's in a name? Take a look, old whiskey (chukka's) really don't show much variation from new whiskey (perf. caps). There is however significant variation between makers as the C&J's looks like a different color......

View attachment 1672395 View attachment 1672396
Do you wear them on gravel roads? Do you walk 30 miles a day to work? Do you wear them in the rain? Why do they need a resole after only one year?

just approaching the midsole. perhaps im using this as an excuse to resole. :)

1AC34804-CA3E-49F9-8E9E-E71D52C7BB77.jpeg

A9EFC4D8-4BAD-4AC8-B418-CCCA2B1C7E39.jpeg

I can use some humor this evening..........

TWSS

?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

denimondenimondenim

Reaction score
These have quite a ways to go, looks like your gait is causing a bit extra wear at the toe (I have the same issue). So you can think about metal toe taps when you resole. But seriously looks like you have a ways to go

good info! i’ve been opting to not wear these recently to preserve them but good to know i can wear them harder. when would you recommend resoling?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good info! i’ve been opting to not wear these recently to preserve them but good to know i can wear them harder. when would you recommend resoling?
Just me, but I wait until a hole is starting in the sole, which with my rotation is basically never.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Impulse buy from this week just showed up. Absolutely love these.

New Old Stock. RTC plain toe boots on Trubalance with a natural 270 storm welt and neocork soles. Absolutely amazing!

What triggered my impulse buy was the contrast between the natural storm welt and RTC.

View attachment 1672417
Those are awesome!!! Impulse buys are the best.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These have quite a ways to go, looks like your gait is causing a bit extra wear at the toe (I have the same issue). So you can think about metal toe taps when you resole. But seriously looks like you have a ways to go

I was going to say the same exact thing. I have the same wear pattern - toe and outer heel. I wonder if you can just replace the dovetail. You can definitely replace just the heel block. And, I concur about the sunken metal toe taps. Extremely effective. I have them on a pair of EG and the soles look almost new. I'm going to do them on all my dress shoes as I resole them.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may need to actually do the heels first, but when the rubber wears into or close to the heel stack i replace heels. As far as the soles, you could go the @audog route, but based on your wear pattern the front might wear into the midsole quicker and at that point you could resole and add the metal toe taps

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You may need to actually do the heels first, but when the rubber wears into or close to the heel stack i replace heels. As far as the soles, you could go the @audog route, but based on your wear pattern the front might wear into the midsole quicker and at that point you could resole and add the metal toe taps
yep, that's the answer........BUY MORE...... (and I bet the Alden retail shops would not object to that logic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads