• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrfi

Reaction score
The retailer you bought them from might be able to arrange for them to go back to Alden for a recraft. Or another retailer in your area with whom you have a relationship.

Thanks, but the issue here is that there are no local retailers that sell Alden. I bought these from Needsupply (in 2014 I think) and my other Aldens I've mostly bought when travelling in the US. I don't mind the cost of going with Alden recraft, but it's quite complicated to ship a pair of shoes to US to have work made on them - the customs will surely be confused!-)

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today’s warm weather shoes
6B9AF136-DB9A-43FF-8713-758E75A0C845.jpeg

lcdx22

Reaction score
Some Ravello and Color 4 comparison... 2 pairs of each. Lots of change lately in the shades.

Ravello and Color 4 from earlier runs. Colors are what you'd expect.

PXL_20210919_200322741.PORTRAIT.jpg

Ravello and Color 4 from latest runs. Ravello is dark and Color 4 is light..making them look pretty close. Ravello actually darker.

PXL_20210919_200310145.PORTRAIT.jpg

Ravello side by side

PXL_20210919_200342453.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Color 4 side by side
PXL_20210919_200346672.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

All very awesome, but hoping the colors revert back on future runs.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Ravello and Color 4 comparison... 2 pairs of each. Lots of change lately in the shades.

Ravello and Color 4 from earlier runs. Colors are what you'd expect.

View attachment 1671630

Ravello and Color 4 from latest runs. Ravello is dark and Color 4 is light..making them look pretty close. Ravello actually darker.

View attachment 1671631

Ravello side by side

View attachment 1671628

Color 4 side by side
View attachment 1671629

All very awesome, but hoping the colors revert back on future runs.
That old Ravello is really a lot more bourbon- esque

Edit - referring to the v-tip

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely try the techniques that you are planning. More likely than not it will solve the issue.

If not, consider that Alden's shell (at least #8 and probably black) can sometimes act differently than conventionally finished shell. I ended up stripping a pair of #8 boots because I was unable to address the sort of finish issue that you appear to have. I'd tried pretty much everything I could think of -- deer bone/spoon, vsc, bick4, insane brushing, and probably other methods (this was a while ago). I'm still not 100% sure what was up but I think it was either an issue with the acrylic finish which caused a rough texture and a whitish look OR it may be that there were oils stuck on the surface of the shell underneath the finish that caused the issue. Not typical but not unheard of either.
You're spot on about my issue, grainy/rough texture that's easily discernible to the touch and it has a whitish look in-between the rolls. I'm hoping it just needs to be conditioned and it'll go away.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're spot on about my issue, grainy/rough texture that's easily discernible to the touch and it has a whitish look in-between the rolls. I'm hoping it just needs to be conditioned and it'll go away.
Even though Alden seems to put some type of acrylic coating on shell, I still get blooming, so whatever they are putting on is impervious to the natural tendency of shell to bloom. Brush, Brush, brush seems to take care of it.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
20210919_213518.jpg

Spent a nice day in the city (Manhattan). And finally joined the Alden club, officially. And the 986 club. I thought shell would feel stiff at first but i'm surprised how comfortable they are for the first evening. I can't get over amazing Alden's color 8 is in person. I'm looking forward to wearing these for decades.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
View attachment 1671803
Spent a nice day in the city (Manhattan). And finally joined the Alden club, officially. And the 986 club. I thought shell would feel stiff at first but i'm surprised how comfortable they are for the first evening. I can't get over amazing Alden's color 8 is in person. I'm looking forward to wearing these for decades.

Congratulations on your brand new Alden 986’s. Those are classic for a reason and are a truly superb makeup that can fit several different levels of formality. I hope that you enjoy them in good health for many years and welcome to the Alden Club!

-Mike

NonChalant321

Reaction score
Congratulations on your brand new Alden 986’s. Those are classic for a reason and are a truly superb makeup that can fit several different levels of formality. I hope that you enjoy them in good health for many years and welcome to the Alden Club!

-Mike

Thanks!!

Now about belts...while a dark brown im sure goes fine, is black a no no with color 8?

And to topy or not topy - I've usually added one to my leather soled shoes but have recently heard some arguments against like breathability, balance, and whether it affects Alden recrafting.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Monday forum pals. Some scotch grain NSTs to make me feel like a country gentleman.

IMG_0742.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads