• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to dedicate a good portion of my day tomorrow towards shoe maintenance due to having a big backlog of shoes needing it.
I'm not sure what to do with my color 8 LHS.
My concern is, in between the rolls the cordovan is feeling somewhat dry and not smooth in comparison to the rest of the shoe, for both pairs. I was thinking of getting a damp cloth and giving it a good rub (lol) in between the rolls, then hitting it with vsc all over the kind that comes with Vibergs and a good buffing. I've only conditioned them with bick after tramping around the sand in them about a year ago. So, I'm not too sure if this is a long-term repercussion.

I've searched online but man, too much contradiction in shell maintenance.

I’ve added pictures. It’s not as visible but on the touch it’s discernible. You could somewhat see the grainy texture.

Attachments

• C6FE5A96-1889-4F5E-BF5A-5749784B4DF3.jpeg
    C6FE5A96-1889-4F5E-BF5A-5749784B4DF3.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 36
  • AF8FA494-44AC-4856-8208-005532118B2E.jpeg
    AF8FA494-44AC-4856-8208-005532118B2E.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 40

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to dedicate a good portion of my day tomorrow towards shoe maintenance due to having a big backlog of shoes needing it.
My concern is, in between the rolls the cordovan is feeling somewhat dry and not smooth in comparison to the rest of the shoe, for both pairs. I was thinking of getting a damp cloth and giving it a good rub (lol) in between the rolls, then hitting it with vsc all over the kind that comes with Vibergs and a good buffing. I've only conditioned them with bick after tramping around the sand in them about a year ago. So, I'm not too sure if this is a long-term repercussion.

I’ve added pictures. It’s not as visible but on the touch it’s discernible. You could somewhat see the grainy texture.
Worst case scenario, Bick 4, brush and enjoy.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arabica Lux alert:
Handsewn toe. Just dropped at Twill, Edina, MN:
View attachment 1671258
Hey Brett, are you able to share some more detail about Arabica Lux leather? Been trying to scour the interwebs, but only 2 vids on YouTube (basically the same video) and sparse information from Google search. Looks like a really interesting leather/shade and more and more retailers are producing make-ups with this material.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Contradictions result because there are so many right answers. I have used precisely what you describe many times. Always works. Let the vsc sit for 10 minutes before brushing. Never failed me yet.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contradictions result because there are so many right answers. I have used precisely what you describe many times. Always works. Let the vsc sit for 10 minutes before brushing. Never failed me yet.
This is what I’m planning on doing. Thank you.

BAK

Reaction score
Hey Brett, are you able to share some more detail about Arabica Lux leather? Been trying to scour the interwebs, but only 2 vids on YouTube (basically the same video) and sparse information from Google search. Looks like a really interesting leather/shade and more and more retailers are producing make-ups with this material.
Check out this video from Ashland: ARABICA LUX DEEP DIVE.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I agree with @Shawnc . Lots of things will work. My interpretation of the problem is that the grainy textured area needs conditioning. Thus the improvement from Bick 4 or VSC (and likely other conditioners) . I apply the lotion in the rough areas, rub it in well with my finger and then let it set for 10-15 minutes. Brush it all out and then do the shoe routine of your choice.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Definitely try the techniques that you are planning. More likely than not it will solve the issue.

If not, consider that Alden's shell (at least #8 and probably black) can sometimes act differently than conventionally finished shell. I ended up stripping a pair of #8 boots because I was unable to address the sort of finish issue that you appear to have. I'd tried pretty much everything I could think of -- deer bone/spoon, vsc, bick4, insane brushing, and probably other methods (this was a while ago). I'm still not 100% sure what was up but I think it was either an issue with the acrylic finish which caused a rough texture and a whitish look OR it may be that there were oils stuck on the surface of the shell underneath the finish that caused the issue. Not typical but not unheard of either.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Every time I see these my initial thought is C4. The shade is just exquisite. Wouldn't mind deets on the denim Mr. Mayor.

Hah, thank you very much. They are pretty old, probably around a decade old now and get worn quite regularly, so their color has come along nicely over the years.

The Denim is from ONI Denim, it is their Dark Indigo version of their SECRET Denim (aka one amazing pair of jeans). It is their "DIZR" model in their "620" relax tapered fit.

-Mike

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really scary when I start to recognize selvedge from partial pic's, makes me feel like I'm in transit to the same rabbit hole I fell in with Alden Shell. I knew these looked familiar, I have a similar pair from Blue Owl. I like them but the fit for me is not great. Like shoes, those that don't fit don't get worn. Unsurprisingly, yours look great.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Really scary when I start to recognize selvedge from partial pic's, makes me feel like I'm in transit to the same rabbit hole I fell in with Alden Shell. I knew these looked familiar, I have a similar pair from Blue Owl. I like them but the fit for me is not great. Like shoes, those that don't fit don't get worn. Unsurprisingly, yours look great.

Got it, yeah, I have their traditional Secret "ZR" denim as well. I love the color of that pair. This pair is really similar in terms of weight and feel but has a darker indigo shade to it, has a white weft vice the tan weft and so doesn't have the lovely greencast shade that the traditional Secret has. I love it because it looks great and feels amazing on. Yeah, the 900's are their High Rise Denims and I hate the feeling of the High Rise personally. Good luck on the denim hunt!!!

-Mike

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never really paid much attention soles. All I knew was a sole was either leather or commando. Then I grabbed the Docker Indy from Brogue with a cork sole and had no idea what I was missing. My two most comfortable pair of boots are the Dockers on TB and my recently acquired perf caps on 379x. Two very different lasts and for some reason, prompted me to do a quick comparison. Take a look at the right-hand side of the top shelf.......

20210919_Rack1.jpg

Nothing unusual or out of the ordinary. Now, take a look at the same two pair from a different angle........

20210906_Rack2.jpg

Just seems hard to believe that those two boots fit the same feet so well.

Sigh, the things you think of when your better half is out of town, you're on PTO next week, and you are desperately looking for a break from the long honey-do list your wife lovingly gave you as she was heading to catch her flight.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads