• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im still unsure if i will die with regret passing on these. my thought was the closed lacing wouldn’t fit with my more casual, denim-centric wardrobe.

question for this group, and im betting this has come up before, what are everyones thoughts on closed vs open lacing in correlation to the rest of the outfit? i know @mdubs & @audog rock denim with closed lace make ups. i know there isn’t a right answer but im curious to hear thoughts and opinions. perhaps im overthinking it and i should just put shoes on my feet

have a good weekend everyone!

I passed on these too, also because of the closed lacing. There’s always some regret when all the pictures start getting posted but I’d probably never wear them. It’s ok to see awesome shoes and admire them, but at the same time admit that it’s not a make up for you. You will not die with regret, I promise.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1647037
First time Alden owner. 10.5B Indy 405 Calf. They fit, I bought them. The beginning...

I am looking forward to getting some time in them. The fit was comfortable, right out of the box. I kinda see what the passion is all about. I tried them with 3 different sock thicknesses, all Darn Tough Merino. If they stretch even a little, a thin insert will take up the volume.
Let me be amongst the first to say welcome! There isn't a better Alden to start with than the 405. It would be interesting to find out how many of us here started with an Indy boot, I would imagine quite a few. Your boots will stretch a bit over time and with wear. Great color on those, BTW.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
im still unsure if i will die with regret passing on these. my thought was the closed lacing wouldn’t fit with my more casual, denim-centric wardrobe.

question for this group, and im betting this has come up before, what are everyones thoughts on closed vs open lacing in correlation to the rest of the outfit? i know @mdubs & @audog rock denim with closed lace make ups. i know there isn’t a right answer but im curious to hear thoughts and opinions. perhaps im overthinking it and i should just put shoes on my feet

@mdubs rocks it, I just wear it :)

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3A865ADF-4418-4B8C-8C66-6B5507CDF550.jpeg

Crew iteration.. love these.. Waterloc soles

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Triple D, I candidly have been pushing my limits quite a bit over the past year. To be candid, the fact that I have been doing a lot of Telework definitely has changed my willingness to do stuff like wear those kinds of combinations. I have worn more jeans than I ever would to work over the past year, since a lot of formality has been further reduced from our offices due to the pandemic. When I go in and have meetings with folks, I have been wearing more slacks kind of attire in general. However, your ability to pair closed lace shoes with denim depends on your willingness to be more bold and the area in which you reside. In San Diego, you can pretty much get away with anything... as I am 1,000 notches above the folks wearing Flip Flops.

Cheers,
Mike

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1647037
First time Alden owner. 10.5B Indy 405 Calf. They fit, I bought them. The beginning...

I am looking forward to getting some time in them. The fit was comfortable, right out of the box. I kinda see what the passion is all about. I tried them with 3 different sock thicknesses, all Darn Tough Merino. If they stretch even a little, a thin insert will take up the volume.
This boot always looks amazing in narrow widths. Wear in great health!

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rule #1: There are no rules…

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I thought Barrie was nice, but it seems that Trubalance is officially my favorite last.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Triple D, I candidly have been pushing my limits quite a bit over the past year. To be candid, the fact that I have been doing a lot of Telework definitely has changed my willingness to do stuff like wear those kinds of combinations. I have worn more jeans than I ever would to work over the past year, since a lot of formality has been further reduced from our offices due to the pandemic. When I go in and have meetings with folks, I have been wearing more slacks kind of attire in general. However, your ability to pair closed lace shoes with denim depends on your willingness to be more bold and the area in which you reside. In San Diego, you can pretty much get away with anything... as I am 1,000 notches above the folks wearing Flip Flops.

Cheers,
Mike
It's funny, but open or closed lace shoes, on a quality GYW shoe, are MILES above what the average guy out there wears. I never have had anyone (other than this forum, cause we know) make a comment like "closed lace shoes with denim?", usually the comment, no matter what Alden I'm wearing is, "Nice Shoes". If one is in doubt, or questioning open/closed with denim, the solution is wear boots, they always work with denim :) Here in Central Illinois, very few would even know the difference between open or closed lace shoes. There are a few who know, but few and far between. I see more tennis shoes and square toe stuff than anything around here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Potentially heavy drizzle in the forecast. Perfect excuse for boots.

IMG_0591.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads