• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Monday. Alden Snuff Suede Indy Boots.

Alden Snuff Suede Indy Boots - 2021-06-21 - 1.jpg

Alden Snuff Suede Indy Boots - 2021-06-21 - 4.jpg

Alden Snuff Suede Indy Boots - 2021-06-21 - 6.jpg

Alden Snuff Suede Indy Boots - 2021-06-21 - 12.jpg

-Mike

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The heavy lifting occurs later......

View attachment 1627625

Guys, this was work. I completely forgot, and never considered, the Tarrago Nano Suede Protection I apply to my suede. If anyone ever doubted the utility of this stuff, don't. I put the first application on and the dye literally rolled off the shoe. Getting the dye to penetrate the suede was the toughest work I can recall on this type of work. But I am happy to say that I could not be more pleased with the results.......

20210622_060229.jpg
20210622_060218.jpg
20210622_060126.jpg
20210622_053939.jpg

Dye ultimately applied evenly, insides are clean with no runover, and most importantly (to me anyway) the dye didn't completely cover the stitching. And surprisingly the edges stayed clean. With the way the dye was streaming down the sides I completely expected to remove the tape and find all kinds of blotches. Not a one. The only 'hiccup' was the runoff did find its way to the soles. You can see a bit of a stain.

20210622_060252.jpg

Have a great day gents. Happy Tuesday.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, this was work. I completely forgot, and never considered, the Tarrago Nano Suede Protection I apply to my suede. If anyone ever doubted the utility of this stuff, don't. I put the first application on and the dye literally rolled off the shoe. Getting the dye to penetrate the suede was the toughest work I can recall on this type of work. But I am happy to say that I could not be more pleased with the results.......

View attachment 1628645 View attachment 1628646 View attachment 1628647 View attachment 1628648

Dye ultimately applied evenly, insides are clean with no runover, and most importantly (to me anyway) the dye didn't completely cover the stitching. And surprisingly the edges stayed clean. With the way the dye was streaming down the sides I completely expected to remove the tape and find all kinds of blotches. Not a one. The only 'hiccup' was the runoff did find its way to the soles. You can see a bit of a stain.

View attachment 1628652

Those look amazing!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look amazing!

Much thanks TC. I've done this a lot but I don't know that I've ever been more pleased. It's like a got a brand new pair of high-rotation Alden's for $9. Yeah, I'm good with that :cool: !

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

View attachment 1628645 View attachment 1628646 View attachment 1628647 View attachment 1628648

View attachment 1628652

Impressive work and sort of funny and good to hear about the spray!

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much thanks TC. I've done this a lot but I don't know that I've ever been more pleased. It's like a got a brand new pair of high-rotation Alden's for $9. Yeah, I'm good with that :cool: !
The colour is so rich! I never would have consider the nano spray, in hindsight. How did you keep the stitching clean? Well played Sir.
:cheers:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impressive work and sort of funny and good to hear about the spray!

IKR! I had gotten an offer to sell these for $300 (I was insistent on $350) and because of my prior lack of success, I had already resigned myself to the fact that I may, in essence, be destroying a $300 pair of shoes. When the dye started running, I mean instantly running really fast, I just thought, oh well. Fortunately didn't give up and am better for it. But back you your point, yes, this stuff is like a coat of armor. Trust me when I say that rain, sleet or snow do not stand a chance against it.

The colour is so rich! I never would have consider the nano spray, in hindsight. How did you keep the stitching clean? Well played Sir.
:cheers:

I was completely overwhelmed by how rich the color turned out when I checked them this morning. My usual routine is to add one more coat after letting the shoes dry overnight. Took one look and said, nope, these are good. Only thing I did was to add some additional Nano spray. Hey, gotta protect these babies.

As for the stitching, I didn't do anything special (I'm not that good). The dye simply didn't penetrate the stitching like I expected it to. Just dumb luck!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1628652

Which suede dye did you use?
I had similar troubles dyeing a pair of Repello suede Grant Stone "LHS"s black...eventually they took the dye, sorta, but to keep them holding the black color there's so much extra dye that it rubs off on my feet, pants, etc. They go navy if that black wears off. :/ Didn't take nearly as well was the suede boots I dyed black. I gave up and made them mowin' shoes...which the dog then took a bite out of the tongue further cementing their status!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Chukka Tuesday forum pals. Yeah, I know that is not a thing, but I am off my meds and chaos will ensue.

IMG_0462.jpg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @madhat, I always use Feiblings as my weapon of choice. Looking through the supply of dyes I've acquired over the years, I couldn't locate any for suede/roughest. I wonder if that was my mistake the last time I tried. I dyed a pair of Rancourts once and the leather was so thick that I used much more dye than normal. They had the same problem you describe. These seem pretty solid. Fingers crossed ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads