• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caligula77

Reaction score
F2C6B41C-FE1C-41B9-A70E-534FADC11AAB.jpeg
Model 40508 (Color 8, closed heel with double leather) is my favorite Indy boot.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1627678
June 2021: The Ultimate Indy Boots (Your Favorite Indy)

Gentlemen, as promised, I wanted to kick off June 2021’s monthly topic. Take all the time that you need to think of your personal response, as you still got a week or so to work on a post that suits you and captures your thoughts, so no need to rush to post a response today!

One of the most recognizable Alden designs is their Indy Boot. Made famous by Harrison Ford's portrayal of Indiana Jones while rocking these comfortable work boots. So, the question that I pose to everyone here is what is their favorite Indy Boot model? Is it the classic 403 or 405 or is it a custom version of it? Is it Shell Cordovan, CXL, Suede, Chamois, or a work or dress boot leather? Looking forward to hearing everyone's responses!

Please reply to this post to make your responses easier to see. Thank you so much and I very much look forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts this month!

-Mike
This one didn't require a lot of thought on my part. My FAVORITE Indy's are the ones that started it all for me, the Pumpkin 405's. I like all of my Indy boots, but for me, these are my favorites. Color, "work boot"leather, sole and of course TB, just make them about the perfect Indy in my book.
IMG_8146.JPG

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1627678

Gentlemen, as promised, I wanted to kick off June 2021’s monthly topic. Take all the time that you need to think of your personal response, as you still got a week or so to work on a post that suits you and captures your thoughts, so no need to rush to post a response today!

One of the most recognizable Alden designs is their Indy Boot. Made famous by Harrison Ford's portrayal of Indiana Jones while rocking these comfortable work boots. So, the question that I pose to everyone here is what is their favorite Indy Boot model? Is it the classic 403 or 405 or is it a custom version of it? Is it Shell Cordovan, CXL, Suede, Chamois, or a work or dress boot leather? Looking forward to hearing everyone's responses!

Please reply to this post to make your responses easier to see. Thank you so much and I very much look forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts this month!

-Mike
Apart from my snuff suede on double leather from AoDC and the fabulous unobtainum country calf Indy by B+M
, this is my ULTIMATE Indy.
#LongLiveMachineStitch
4EAF7149-4332-41F2-99E2-80678FDCB21A.jpeg

(not my pair, sadly, as they s-canned machine stitch shell before my Alden journey)

BAK

Reaction score
View attachment 1627678
I think I'm at 5 Indy boots currently with 2 more on the way in 2021, but so far two are favorites. The 403 since it was my first and most iconic of the bunch, and I have worn it more than maybe anything else in my life. It is indestructible and goes anywhere and can handle anything - actual work, into the woods, onto the beach, the streets of NYC... and the Neocork sole still looks and feels like it'll never need a resole. They did just get their first batch of new heels this year, shortly after this photo was taken.
0B5A3495.jpg

Second one is a favorite because it's the complete opposite of what the 403 is. The Hobson Indy from David Wood was meant to be a summer Indy boot, super soft and super light weight. The tan suede is ultra soft and when combined with a flat welt and single leather sole it is featherweight compared to the 403 and the sole is incredibly flexible. It literally makes me happy each time I put it on as it's refreshingly different than anything else in my closet, in both look and feel. It's more like an Indy slipper than it is a boot. Perhaps my most comfortable pair.
0B5A7674.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modified maiden voyage of some boots that have been languishing in my closet for months.

Color 8 cap toe from Moulded Shoe; this is the Modified last version of the infamous J. Crew boot and honestly I think it's better (heretic!). All eyelets and a pull tab.

Modified just disappears on the foot like Trubalance.

PXL_20210620_161747095.jpg
PXL_20210620_161800444.jpg
PXL_20210620_161808839.jpg
PXL_20210620_161816545.jpg

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excuse the digression from the Indys but shell saddles on Barrie today. Saddle shoes really make people smile, when they notice them they either love them (the most common reaction by far) or they are taken aback at seeing such a traditional style, especially in today's world of "dress sneakers." But most people LOVE to see saddle shoes.

IMG_0761.jpeg

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own some shell Indys but my first pair of Aldens in general were the J. Crew 405s

Cuv1TwL.jpg

I think the 403 or 405 is the quinntessential "starter" Alden for the more casual wearer. Given that, I think my absolute favorite makeup is the Indy in reverse chamois. I love this one from Gentleman's Footwear:

4015HCinthewild_grande.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Excuse the digression from the Indys but shell saddles on Barrie today. Saddle shoes really make people smile, when they notice them they either love them (the most common reaction by far) or they are taken aback at seeing such a traditional style, especially in today's world of "dress sneakers." But most people LOVE to see saddle shoes.

View attachment 1628098
I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the reaction of people to saddle shoes!!! Excellent choice in saddles BTW.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1627678

-Mike
Colour 8 machine stitched Indy.
AF403A2A-4E1E-4512-A8A8-A6B524193DCE.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads