• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like those nst loafers Shawn and was surprised to read you hadn't worn them much! I recently asked AOM to add me to their waiting list for one of those loafers, any color or material!

It's just inexplicable. I love Snuff and this style is as good as it gets. I wore the heck out of my C8 pair and they were easily my most complimented pair of footwear. Hopefully the darker color will get these on my feet more.

I rarely say things with absolute certainty but I am so sure you will love them. It is just such a cool shoe. I saw a pair of 8.5E C8's on the Bay recently and actually thought about re-acquiring them. Good luck and let me know when they land!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Father's Day Sunday. Alden Tan Suede Unlined LHS.

Alden Tan Suede Unlined LHS - 2021-06-20 - 1.jpg

Alden Tan Suede Unlined LHS - 2021-06-20 - 4.jpg

Alden Tan Suede Unlined LHS - 2021-06-20 - 6.jpg

Alden Tan Suede Unlined LHS - 2021-06-20 - 12.jpg

-Mike

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Father’s Day forum pals.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Ultimate Indy Boots.jpeg

June 2021: The Ultimate Indy Boots (Your Favorite Indy)

Gentlemen, as promised, I wanted to kick off June 2021’s monthly topic. Take all the time that you need to think of your personal response, as you still got a week or so to work on a post that suits you and captures your thoughts, so no need to rush to post a response today!

One of the most recognizable Alden designs is their Indy Boot. Made famous by Harrison Ford's portrayal of Indiana Jones while rocking these comfortable work boots. So, the question that I pose to everyone here is what is their favorite Indy Boot model? Is it the classic 403 or 405 or is it a custom version of it? Is it Shell Cordovan, CXL, Suede, Chamois, or a work or dress boot leather? Looking forward to hearing everyone's responses!

Please reply to this post to make your responses easier to see. Thank you so much and I very much look forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts this month!

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
View attachment 1627678

Gentlemen, as promised, I wanted to kick off June 2021’s monthly topic. Take all the time that you need to think of your personal response, as you still got a week or so to work on a post that suits you and captures your thoughts, so no need to rush to post a response today!

One of the most recognizable Alden designs is their Indy Boot. Made famous by Harrison Ford's portrayal of Indiana Jones while rocking these comfortable work boots. So, the question that I pose to everyone here is what is their favorite Indy Boot model? Is it the classic 403 or 405 or is it a custom version of it? Is it Shell Cordovan, CXL, Suede, Chamois, or a work or dress boot leather? Looking forward to hearing everyone's responses!

Please reply to this post to make your responses easier to see. Thank you so much and I very much look forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts this month!

-Mike

I have come to truly love and appreciate the Indy Boot. There are SOO many great options of the Indy Boot, especially if you open the aperture a slight bit and allow differently lasted variants of the boot into the discussion.

However, my favorite Indy Boot comes from one of the classic retailers, that is the Alden SF variant of the Reverse Tobacco Chamois Boot. I love the play of the brass hardware with the rugged Reverse Chamois leather and the beautiful antique edges. It all comes together into one truly magnificent cohesive package.

Alden Tobacco Reverse Chamois Indy Boots - 2020-11-09 - 1.jpg

Alden Tobacco Reverse Chamois Indy Boots - 2020-11-09 - 6.jpg

I would not be true to myself if I didn't instantly think of posting my Ravello Indy Boots. However, I feel like that is slightly cheating, as Ravello to me is like Ranch to some, it just makes everything better. Hard to ignore the magic of it, especially with the extra touch of special introduced by using hand stitching on these...

Alden Ravello Shell Cordovan Indy Boots - 2021-01-02 - 1.jpg

Alden Ravello Shell Cordovan Indy Boots - 2021-01-02 - 6.jpg

Cheers and looking forward to seeing other's thoughts!!!

-Mike

DG123

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Is anyone aware of an exhaustive accounting of Alden soles? Thinking about having some swapped out my Fullstraps and contemplating something different. Flex possibly but am wondering about others beyond single, double, commando. Links are greatly appreciated.

I believe Alden will only install the sole model as used for the shoe's original production, but I am not positive about that.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
View attachment 1627678

-Mike

I like the 405 for the color and the neocork soles. The comfort, too, but i assume that’s a constant in the TB Indy line.

I’m a Trubalance purist. I can’t wear Plaza, so all the Plaza Indy makeups are right out in my book. I could do a Modified Indy, but the TB works and is easier to get so there’s little point.

I do like the shell versions with the hand-sewn apron stitching. I know i’d baby them, and that seems antithetical to the whole purpose of a workboot.

Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Alden will only install the sole model as used for the shoe's original production, but I am not positive about that.

I also believe this to be true. They used to swap soles, however now you have to go to a independent cobbler to have a different sole installed.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DG123

Reaction score
I love this site! This is just perfect @BAK. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I'll use an outside cobbler, likely Aram. He never charges extra to change from the original.

Does he have access to Alden soles ? In particular I believe the Neocork is a sensational sole, which I've not seen other than from Alden.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this site! This is just perfect @BAK. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I'll use an outside cobbler, likely Aram. He never charges extra to change from the original.

FWIW, Aram carries a lot of the OEM Alden soles and heels, although if you go to standard oak he uses JR soles (I'm not sure what Alden uses for its sole leather). And, the DC store recommends him. He's local to us - although so is Bedo's. We're lucky here in the DC area.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1627678

-Mike

I am not quite the Indy enthusiast that many are but I do love a good boot so there is no avoiding have 1 or 2 in the stable. For me, this is the easiest of all the challenges. Mine comes from our good friends at Ealdwine. I am really fortunate when it comes to footwear but as I said the day these landed, they are easily one of the most perfect pair of footwear I have ever held. Flat welt, Plaza last and just a delicious shade of cigar. Tough to beat these beauties.......

20210418_074533.jpg
20210418_074553.jpg
20201204_072804.jpg
20201128_104316.jpg

And like the mayor, I have a thing for Ravello so I'm going to cheat and include their brother from another mother, these special ones from Harrison.......

20201219_080103.jpg
20201219_085518.jpg
20201219_080915.jpg

Gotta get the ravellos sucking concrete. Can't wait for them to look something like the OG pair from FB that @nbernie posted the other day.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does he have access to Alden soles ? In particular I believe the Neocork is a sensational sole, which I've not seen other than from Alden.

I think he does. He has done numerous repairs for me, from eyes/hooks to soles and he has always used Alden stock unless I specifically request otherwise.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1627678

-Mike

My favorite Indys aren't technically Indys because they are on Plaza. Cigar shell with brass hardware and commando. Cigar is my favorite color leather and Plaza is my second favorite last after Grant. I love the way the brass contrasts with the cigar color. My brown (Italian) shell cordovan wallet from Chester Mox predates my boots, but they are a near perfect match.

IMG_2579.jpg
IMG_2580.jpg
IMG_2581.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads