• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CXL boat style shoes or casual loafers work great as poolside shoes. Allen Edmonds, Rancourt & Quoddy make great examples. And you don't have to throw them away. They hold up well & can be resoled.

Here's my summertime collection, some w/ heavy wear.
20201113_151859.jpg
20201113_151827.jpg
20201113_151816.jpg

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Stupid question of the day.
I "need" a pair of slip on's to wear to the pool and don't want to wear my Aberdeen loafers as they may get messed up. Looking at a pair of Van lasted seconds, that certainly fit my esthetic and are available in my size. I know that they will get wet with pool water, and be sitting in the sun around the poolside table. Would you guys do it? or just go with a pair of AE that are basically throw away shoes. Oh, Van last, which I'm assuming would be my Aberdeen sizing. It's a bit to invest in a pair of pool shoes, but would have to wear them to drive to/from pool as well as if someone says "let's go to the watering hole". Stupid move on my part, or fashion beats finance?

I wouldn’t assume that you would take the same size in Van and Aberdeen. Most people go with their Barrie size in Van.

I have a pair of Rancourt loafers for trips to the bodega and other neighborhood errands. I got them for similar reasons: I was a bit reluctant to put wear on my favorites & because they have a crepe sole which gives a bit more cushion on city concrete. Nevertheless, they aren’t nearly as comfortable as Alden loafers. My theory is that the AE last they use isn’t as well designed as Alden’s. They also have more limited size/width options in the larger range. A C or B width or a half size might have been more comfortable, but none of those were available in my range. I hate them and can’t wait for them to wear out.

Alden seconds sound like a great plan, or barring that, the unlined CXL version.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I decided to just stick with the AE Sea Islands I already own, even though not sized exactly right, heel slip, but it's a pool shoe.Although I'm still eyeing the TSM Alden loafer, but now more on the "Oh, don't have one of those" end of the equation.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I decided to just stick with the AE Sea Islands I already own, even though not sized exactly right, heel slip, but it's a pool shoe.Although I'm still eyeing the TSM Alden loafer, but now more on the "Oh, don't have one of those" end of the equation.

If the Sea Islands work, great. But life is short and at this point in life you should do the little things that make you happy. Besides, Sunday is Father's Day and you should treat yourself. All of this sums up my thinking when I bought these black shell NST saddles I am wearing today.

IMG_0448.jpg

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CXL boat style shoes or casual loafers work great as poolside shoes. Allen Edmonds, Rancourt & Quoddy make great examples. And you don't have to throw them away. They hold up well & can be resoled.

Here's my summertime collection, some w/ heavy wear.
View attachment 1624754 View attachment 1624755 View attachment 1624756

+1 for Quoddy. They're very expensive and the construction methods are unbelievably old-school, it's like you are buying a shoe made in 1910 in a cabin in the middle of the Maine forest by the light of a kerosene lamp. But the quality is exceptional and there's nothing else quite like them. Pics of some of my Quoddys are below. Top is a natural CXL boat shoe, the middle is blue CXL boat moc, the third shoe is a whiskey CXL boat shoe, and the last picture is a pair of brown boat shoes that are around 12 years old and incredibly beat up, I've worn them in and out of the water, doing yard work, plumbing with caustic chemicals, etc. and they just won't die. The last picture really shows off the old-school construction methods used to make Quoddys, they are true handmade shoes and there is absolutely nothing modern about them. (Please excuse my pasty and scabby legs, I had a run-in with a fig tree last summer and the sap really did a number on my arms and legs.)

The AE Maritime, when it is available, is probably the boat shoe that offers the greatest bang for the buck. The Maritime is a big step up in quality from generic Sperrys or Timberlands and you can sometimes find Maritimes for $99.

C617F052-1A25-4DC3-900D-7F0AD248DB3A_1_105_c.jpeg

34F35597-3E86-4FD5-826A-B33197B0288B_1_105_c.jpeg

696CA7A6-2764-4E44-B224-A95EE9AF4D9B_1_105_c.jpeg

57C32C2D-6C99-4055-8A0D-C3D6D3719A2A_1_105_c.jpeg

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would anyone happen to have a line on a retailer currently with (or doing in 2021) a barrie last black shell tanker with all eyelets?

I know Halo Shoes in Portland has a color 8 version in stock, but curious if a black pair exists anywhere

lcdx22

Reaction score
Would anyone happen to have a line on a retailer currently with (or doing in 2021) a barrie last black shell tanker with all eyelets?

I know Halo Shoes in Portland has a color 8 version in stock, but curious if a black pair exists anywhere

Style by Blaine has one with all brass eyelets and flat welt but on Hampton last instead of Barrie. So a bit more sleek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads