• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a Scotch grain Monday.

IMG_0447.jpg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The perfectly imperfects today...
cWtEH0s.jpg
I still to this day can’t believe your boneheaded decision to keep these……..also, your boneheaded decision got in the way of me making a boneheaded decision and scooping these up.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just plain comfort today...
cpGWEiU.jpg

I still to this day can’t believe your boneheaded decision to keep these……..also, your boneheaded decision got in the way of me making a boneheaded decision and scooping these up.
I'm an imperfect man...
pok0WNDfg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very nice. Brick and Mortar? *Adds another shoe to the "to buy" list....*

Yep. Give Yenni a call to order a pair. Hopefully.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stupid question of the day.
I "need" a pair of slip on's to wear to the pool and don't want to wear my Aberdeen loafers as they may get messed up. Looking at a pair of Van lasted seconds, that certainly fit my esthetic and are available in my size. I know that they will get wet with pool water, and be sitting in the sun around the poolside table. Would you guys do it? or just go with a pair of AE that are basically throw away shoes. Oh, Van last, which I'm assuming would be my Aberdeen sizing. It's a bit to invest in a pair of pool shoes, but would have to wear them to drive to/from pool as well as if someone says "let's go to the watering hole". Stupid move on my part, or fashion beats finance?

DapperDan08

Reaction score
I "need" a pair of slip on's to wear to the pool and don't want to wear my Aberdeen loafers as they may get messed up. Looking at a pair of Van lasted seconds, that certainly fit my esthetic and are available in my size. I know that they will get wet with pool water, and be sitting in the sun around the poolside table. Would you guys do it? or just go with a pair of AE that are basically throw away shoes. Oh, Van last, which I'm assuming would be my Aberdeen sizing. It's a bit to invest in a pair of pool shoes, but would have to wear them to drive to/from pool as well as if someone says "let's go to the watering hole". Stupid move on my part, or fashion beats finance?
You already know the answer—fashion.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chromexel Unlined LHS is your answer here..

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You already know the answer—fashion.
Yes I do know the answer, basically a rhetorical question :) But the AE similar are 1/3 the price and probably 1/3 the shoe, even if Alden seconds. It's a question of spend the money on something I KNOW I would like, or save the money and get something I will ***** at every time I put them on, and I was a HUGE AE fan just a few years ago.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chromexel Unlined LHS is your answer here..
I have a thing for suede loafers, TSM has a pair of nice suede Van loafers, my size, tan suede and what appears to be neocork sole (TSM seconds descriptions are somewhat "lacking"). Agree that CXL is the thing, but for the pool, when I know they will get wet????

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you married to the idea of it being a proper loafer? I can't help but feel like a different kind of slip on would provide a similar aesthetic but be more functional and appropriate in this situation. Maybe a boat shoe, something woven, or an espadrille. If a loafer, I would think something like one of Rancourt's more casual offerings would be the way (sorry if not kosher to suggest non-Alden shoes in the Alden thread)
nav_blog.jpg

no_man_walks_alone_x_el_karti_moroccan_raffia_slippers_slip_ons_loafers_37_.jpg

espadrille-3.jpg

Ran6_1511228_720x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads