• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Reaction score
Congrats on the cigar Indys. Have you tried AE's 48" round laces for your nine-eyelet boots? I've found that they make it a lot easier than the stock Alden laces.

GG round laces are already on the reverse chamois Indy’s. I like them and would buy again. I think those are particularly difficult to lace because the chamois is kind of sticky. I don’t have anything 9 eye in cordovan, perhaps those are easier to lace?

djbanor

Reaction score
GG round laces are already on the reverse chamois Indy’s. I like them and would buy again. I think those are particularly difficult to lace because the chamois is kind of sticky. I don’t have anything 9 eye in cordovan, perhaps those are easier to lace?
The GG round laces are much thicker. The AE ones are thin, lower wax content in comparison to Alden stock laces, and are a breeze to lace up even with 9 eyelets, whatever the leather of the boot. I would highly recommend them.

Disco Volante

Reaction score
The GG round laces are much thicker. The AE ones are thin, lower wax content in comparison to Alden stock laces, and are a breeze to lace up even with 9 eyelets, whatever the leather of the boot. I would highly recommend them.

Thank you. I’ll try them and see if it helps!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey Alden fam, haven’t posted in a year or so. My name just came up for the cigar Indy boots on the next run with TSM. Of course that is an instant buy for me and I have been waiting years!

One thing I have determined over the last six or seven years with all of it is that I really dislike nine eye boots. It’s such a hassle! Thinking about having these cigar Indy’s and my Ironside Indy swapped out with some speed hooks. Will Alden re-craft if you change out eyes for hooks? I know if you change the original specs of the sole they will not.

Is B Nelson still around doing good work, or could any of you gentlemen recommend someone who is a true quality cobbler?

Bonus, I also have plain toe smooth tobacco chamois boots that I would get a lot more wear out of if I could convert it to a commando sole from double waterlock.
I believe these guys are used by one of the Alden retail shops, and have done eyelet conversions for members here. I have a shell boot with speed hook tearing out with them for repair at the moment. Retail shop trusts them and I've seen the conversions posted here as well.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,does anyone know if retailers are willing to ship internationally for their stores “special make-up”?I know they wont ship standard model Aldens but do they make exceptions for their own stores special make-ups?Have been drooling on some special group orders but unsure if there are any exceptions

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
T-ball TerraNova
IMG_8058.JPG

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snuff for grocery shopping this a.m. Nice shoes in a world of cheap sneakers.. Had a few approval smiles from some gals. View attachment 1623710
Those smiles do help float the boat! :lol:
I'm crazy about my alden snuff pennies. I could wear them all summer, every day.

And yeah, here in the Philly burbs, we are awash in throw away sneakers too. Wear a year and into the dumpster.

Reactions: AHS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads