• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
quick favor regarding sizing help - i know it's been covered many times.... but:
how does TB fit relative to barrie? looking to get an indy in TB (finally!)

i'm a solid 7D in barrie (shoes and boots) and a 7.5D is Grant for reference. i will say that my barrie boots in NST (tankers) are a bit more snug that barrie shoes.

feedback much appreciated!

Go with your Barrie size and you’ll be fine.

moondog-sparky

Reaction score
Go with your Barrie size and you’ll be fine.
Thx!! that's what i figured.

of course... life always throws you a curve ball. finally got the call for a grail shoe.... and my backup refrigerator dies today. aaaarrrggghhhhh! always something.

frankmartin

Reaction score
Hi all.

I’ve written on this thread before about my challenges finding Aldens in my unusual size. I wear an 11 AA/B on the Barrie last.

These popped up on eBay last week: cigar shell chukkas model 13132 in my size. I got them for a decent price.

The seller was upfront about the very different patina / color on them. The left boot still has its cigar olive tones, while the right boot front section has faded considerably and looks the way any shell shoe often does after years of wear and lots of direct sunlight.

I don’t mind some variation, but any advise on how to even the color shade on these boots? Should I darken the lighter boot with brown wax? Should I try to sun fade the front section of the left boot? A little bit of both LOL?

View attachment 1622867
View attachment 1622871 View attachment 1622870

Thanks for your thoughts.

AHS

I think I might try AE's brown cordovan creme polish and see what happens.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK,had to put on some kind of shoes today, even if I don't feel good. Aberdeen tassels (in my Barrie size) Aberdeen TTS has too much heel slip for me.
IMG_8056.JPG

passaloutre

Reaction score
The great loafer search continues...

Unsatisfied with the Allen Edmonds, our great hero sets his sights on the Aldens...

LHS Sizing? 9.5D Indy boots are snug in the heel and roomy in the toe, with thick socks. The Allen Edmonds loafers in 9.5 were super tight top to bottom. I'm a 9D Brannock with a 10 arch length. Are E widths generally larger top to bottom (high volume)?

As always, I'm sure the answer is try a bunch of sizes. It's the only way to know.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dade Boots from Madison landed. Pretty nice. Little wonky stitch at the toe, but I’m happy overall. There’s a bit of eyelet-gate going on w/ this make-up. Was originally supposed to have all brass eyelets, but for some reason they were made with hooks. AOM was great and reached out offering solutions, but I liked them enough to just take them as-is.

Serious question: anyone ever receive an Alden shoe box where the glue hadn’t dried completely? The box was kind of falling apart and tacky with some sort of adhesive around the inner lip. I’m guessing the heat might’ve melted things a bit in transit…

41BC759F-B9A0-4FA9-ADBF-2E38EC1314E4.jpeg
9A79BF86-9ECC-4FF2-B746-383B37FBAEE1.jpeg
97585FBE-AF1A-479A-B0D3-93D38B814212.jpeg
6AE1D094-0A43-4481-BE91-F4B7AD432968.jpeg

Disco Volante

Reaction score
Hey Alden fam, haven’t posted in a year or so. My name just came up for the cigar Indy boots on the next run with TSM. Of course that is an instant buy for me and I have been waiting years!

One thing I have determined over the last six or seven years with all of it is that I really dislike nine eye boots. It’s such a hassle! Thinking about having these cigar Indy’s and my Ironside Indy swapped out with some speed hooks. Will Alden re-craft if you change out eyes for hooks? I know if you change the original specs of the sole they will not.

Is B Nelson still around doing good work, or could any of you gentlemen recommend someone who is a true quality cobbler?

Bonus, I also have plain toe smooth tobacco chamois boots that I would get a lot more wear out of if I could convert it to a commando sole from double waterlock.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see you DV. I have had many shoes/boots recrafted by Alden where the original spec's have changed. My Dearborns just came back and I long ago had brass eyes swapped for agatine eyes.

djbanor

Reaction score
Hey Alden fam, haven’t posted in a year or so. My name just came up for the cigar Indy boots on the next run with TSM. Of course that is an instant buy for me and I have been waiting years!

One thing I have determined over the last six or seven years with all of it is that I really dislike nine eye boots. It’s such a hassle! Thinking about having these cigar Indy’s and my Ironside Indy swapped out with some speed hooks. Will Alden re-craft if you change out eyes for hooks? I know if you change the original specs of the sole they will not.

Is B Nelson still around doing good work, or could any of you gentlemen recommend someone who is a true quality cobbler?

Bonus, I also have plain toe smooth tobacco chamois boots that I would get a lot more wear out of if I could convert it to a commando sole from double waterlock.
Congrats on the cigar Indys. Have you tried AE's 48" round laces for your nine-eyelet boots? I've found that they make it a lot easier than the stock Alden laces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads