• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals. Scotch grain NSTs.

IMG_0366.jpg

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great post, thanks. I don’t have my color 2 (“ruby”) Carmina anymore but they were clearly a different shade from AE’s chili, which as you noted has more of a brown cast. There is some color 2 that skews more towards color 4 (my pair were an example of that) but at least in my limited experience chili seems distinct from color 2 and color 4. Can’t speak to anything sold as “garnet” but garnet does look like color 2 to me in your pic just seeing how it compares to your chili pairs.

Older color 2/rubi/garnet (it's all one in the same) were redder than the current shade, which is now closer to how old color 4 looked, so it's hard to compare shades made a fair bit of time apart (and there's still a ton of variation even in current batches). I also believe AE burnishes their chili shell which can make it more brown but I would say that my color 2 vibergs are very close to my chili strands and my understanding is that chili is indeed color 2 and not a separate horween shade.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the printed shell being a standard option and always available was the one thing that blew my mind! If it takes 3 shells to do a pair of boots, that's only 75$ for the print and I know I'm not alone in this thread in saying that I would totally add Alden printed shell black and color 8 to my collection in a heartbeat!
I recently acquired a wallet from Ashland with printed C8 shell on the outside and printed whiskey shell on the inside. I think printed shell could work for a casual boot. But the embossing does detract some from the Shiny Slab of Shell effect that some prefer. The pattern rather than the leather becomes the visual focus.
These have been on my hit list for a while and finally got a pair. Hot off the press Cigar PCT Boots.

View attachment 1611613
Stellar!

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Older color 2/rubi/garnet (it's all one in the same) were redder than the current shade, which is now closer to how old color 4 looked, so it's hard to compare shades made a fair bit of time apart (and there's still a ton of variation even in current batches). I also believe AE burnishes their chili shell which can make it more brown but I would say that my color 2 vibergs are very close to my chili strands and my understanding is that chili is indeed color 2 and not a separate horween shade.
I mean I can't tell the difference really, but at some point when Horween was reconsolidating the dyes to be more eco friendly all that changed apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads