• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Oh so Chili is Garnet shell. I always thought they were different too and that formerly Walnut (which is discontinued anyways) and Chili were the AE exclusives, but apparently that is no longer the case.

Oh - interesting. Had not seen that as confirmed. Walnut was also a great color. There was also truffle, which I think was just the darker walnut shells.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yeah so I think Chili was sort of discontinued and then when Horween launched https://ashlandleather.com/blogs/inside-ashland/new-horween-shell-cordovan-color-garnet the garnet here they made it available to everyone and replaced the old chili which MIGHT have been exclusive.

? Wait, I'm confused now. I didn't realize there was a chili that predated the garnet announcement? So you are saying that AE used to have chili pre-'16 then brought garnet back as "chili" a year or so ago whenever the last shell trunk show happened? Or was that 2 years ago.... whenever that was, losing track of time.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
? Wait, I'm confused now. I didn't realize there was a chili that predated the garnet announcement? So you are saying that AE used to have chili pre-'16 then brought garnet back as "chili" a year or so ago whenever the last shell trunk show happened? Or was that 2 years ago.... whenever that was, losing track of time.
It's called COVID TIME LOSS, happened to all of us :)

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No I got Walnut dates confused with Chili, but AE calls Garnet Chili, my bad. And yeah Chili was already 2 years ago. But I'm not convinced any of the past year happened either to be honest.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Not to be needlessly pedantic but AEs chili might be exclusive. I may have missed it along the way but I'm not sure there's been anything definitive one way or the other. I think there had been some speculation that it was garnet (they definitely seem similar) although I don't own any garnet to compare against. Regardless, it's a great color.

Agreed on chili being a great color. A pair of MacNeils in chili would be wild — if only they still made MacNeils.

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed on chili being a great color. A pair of MacNeils in chili would be wild — if only they still made MacNeils.
9AB5950B-CB12-42AB-9D69-27F5213678E1.jpeg

dangaa

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it doesn't appear there is an Alden stockist in my neck of the woods so I'm hoping to get some help.

I'm interested in ordering a pair of loafers but my only reference point would be a pair of cordovan Marlow Tassels from Ralph Lauren/Polo (CJ on the 72 last as mine are older). Would I take the same size in the aberdeen ie. 666 and size down for the LHS models on the van last ie. 6243F?

I'm typically a 9US but wear a 8.5US in the Marlow's.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
No I got Walnut dates confused with Chili, but AE calls Garnet Chili, my bad. And yeah Chili was already 2 years ago. But I'm not convinced any of the past year happened either to be honest.

That is quite interesting if they changed that because I was lead to believe that Chili was a special color just for AE. But it technically could be similar to their Calfskin version, which I believe started off by burnishing their Walnut Calfskkn. I don’t believe that Chili and Garnet are the same shade. But maybe they are now. I do have a pair of explicitly labeled Garnet Shell Cordovan Strands from AE. They seem to market and separately sell Chili to my knowledge and I recall reading that Chili was an AE exclusive shade. Anywho, maybe that has changed. Cheers!

-Mike

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont believe Garnet & Chili are the same color. Chili has brown in it where garnet does not. I read that Garnet was color #4 but it differs significantly from my #4 by Carmina. Garnet may be color #2.

The plain cap-toe balmorals are garnet. The others on the front row are chili. The back row are faded #8.
20201012_165228.jpg

Here are #4 NST boots by Carmina (center) with walnut shell short-wing boots on left. The rest are natural shell with varying age / wear.

20201219_125356.jpg

20201219_125408.jpg

Garnet lacks brown in the mix. It's a pretty unique color.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads