• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

serious_ed

Reaction score
Happy Monday! Decided on a pair of natty plain toe boots. Looks like I'm following the trend with a bunch of folks here today sporting CXL.
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 12.51.18 PM.png

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I inadvertently spilled some Artichokes packed in olive oil juice on my beloved Natty Tassels.. only a small spot on top but one side had some splatter... Initially I thought well it is vegetable oil.. maybe over time it will just be absorbed.. Usually I deer bone scuffs but this is a little over my pay grade. I know some of you have nice Natty collections. Any advice?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I inadvertently spilled some Artichokes packed in olive oil juice on my beloved Natty Tassels.. only a small spot on top but one side had some splatter... Initially I thought well it is vegetable oil.. maybe over time it will just be absorbed.. Usually I deer bone scuffs but this is a little over my pay grade. I know some of you have nice Natty collections. Any advice?
Put some baby powder, or cornstarch or even flour on the spot. Let it sit for a day or so, repeat as needed. It will pull the oil out. I know from personal experience (used cornstarch).

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good bourbon Monday to you

PXL_20210517_133747490.jpg
PXL_20210517_154508462.jpg
PXL_20210517_154518854.jpg
PXL_20210517_154527127.MP.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks audog.. I went with cornstarch..
Called for a quick change to BB #8 Tassels.
View attachment 1611357
It may take a couple of days, and a change of the cornstarch...Forewarning, the spot, if olive oil, may not come out completely, but CXL is forgiving, and natty does darken with age :) Post some photos of before/after!

DG123

Reaction score
I’ve had Alden resole/restore 403s and 975s and I never noticed a difference in fit due to relasting (one of the 975s came out snugger but only because they patched liner at the heel with another piece of leather).

Thanks for your helpful reply, I appreciate it.
One interesting thing about my 8 year old pair of 405's is that the boot was made with an overlay of leather at the interior of the heel area, basically creating a "double lining" at the entire heel counter area. That overlay now has holes at the side of each heel. So, for a restoration I assume Alden will patch the holes or remove the entire piece of double lining.
My new pair of 405's was made without this interior heel lining overlay piece, so I guess this was a running design-detail change made at Alden sometime during the past 8 years.

Last edited:

DG123

Reaction score
Thanks! They're on Barrie. They've been sitting in the closet for a few years. They're from a 2016 run for Alden SF.

Does Alden SF offer preorders for their make up styles and, or, how does one learn about the Alden SF make up styles?
Some dealers have links to their makeup/preorder styles but I've not seen that at the Alden SF store website.

SSingh1975

Reaction score
Is there any website that offers alden discounts? I'm looking at Indys 405 but finding it hard to cough up $600 (with taxes) for a pair of boots..lol. Cheers.

serious_ed

Reaction score
Does Alden SF offer preorders for their make up styles and, or, how does one learn about the Alden SF make up styles?
Some dealers have links to their makeup/preorder styles but I've not seen that at the Alden SF store website.
I'm not sure, but don't recall any pre-orders. My office is a few blocks away, so I would stop by every few days to say hello. Jim is amazing, so I'm sure if you called him he would accommodate.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there any website that offers alden discounts? I'm looking at Indys 405 but finding it hard to cough up $600 (with taxes) for a pair of boots..lol. Cheers.
The only discounts I have ever seen are TSM seconds, or places going out of business. You may want to check the Alden Buy/Sell/Trade thread and perhaps a lightly used pair in your size will appear.

ac106

Reaction score

Theshoemart sells factory seconds for $399. you have to email them for access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads