• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DG123

Reaction score
I second @audog

I would send to Steve at Bedo’s. Your job will be $500+ but you get what you pay for. My 405s are coming apart at the welt and when I can muster up the courage to be away from them for a few weeks they’re going to Steve (already emailed him).

Once I saw a You Tube video of Steve at Bedo's charging a customer $900 to resole a pair of vintage Florsheim wingtips my opinion was that he had overcharged the customer by about $700. No thanks.

DG123

Reaction score
Have you contacted one of the shoe shops recommended on this thread. Aram, Bedos, et al?

No. If I am going to have a pair of 405's resoled it will be done by employees at Alden.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second @audog

I would send to Steve at Bedo’s. Your job will be $500+ but you get what you pay for. My 405s are coming apart at the welt and when I can muster up the courage to be away from them for a few weeks they’re going to Steve (already emailed him).

lol for $500+ I would just buy a new pair of 405s, that’s highway robbery. He’s not rewelting them with gold

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. If I am going to have a pair of 405's resoled it will be done by employees at Alden.
Let me just say that factory resoles (from any manufacturer) are never as high quality as a high end mail in cobbler. Personally I think you should look to see if you have a good local cobbler and give them the business first as it truly is a dying trade, otherwise go ahead and contact Alden. They do a lot of stuff with a resole, and they are known to sometimes not listen to special requests if you make any, but yeah they built they shoe and they can resole it too.

DG123

Reaction score
Let me just say that factory resoles (from any manufacturer) are never as high quality as a high end mail in cobbler. Personally I think you should look to see if you have a good local cobbler and give them the business first as it truly is a dying trade, otherwise go ahead and contact Alden. They do a lot of stuff with a resole, and they are known to sometimes not listen to special requests if you make any, but yeah they built they shoe and they can resole it too.

My local shoe repair shop sees me 4 or 5 times per year for heel cap installations, so I pay him $120 to $150 per year.
For a resole of my Alden Indy boots I want the same Alden Neocork sole and Thomas heel as Alden factory original. If people reply to this thread that their Alden restoration/resole did not change the fit I will send Alden a pair of 8 year old 405's.
If people reply that the fit changed significantly I will probably just keep wearing the boots and forget about any resole/restoration.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used a high-end cobbler in Los Angeles and he did outstanding work, much better than a factory recraft. He did a sole swap and stiched the new one on by hand, using the same holes that the old sole used, so the sizing didn't change at all. But his prices were so eye-wateringly high that to be honest, I probably won't use him again. I wouldn't spend $500 re-soling a pair of calfskin Indy boots.

I've had AE's recrafted by the factory in the past and the fit did change, but not significantly. I could still wear the shoes, just had to break them in again and they loosened up after a while. Seems like a good idea to ask Alden if the resole will change the fit, or just give the factory resole a try and see what happens.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My local shoe repair shop sees me 4 or 5 times per year for heel cap installations, so I pay him $120 to $150 per year.
For a resole of my Alden Indy boots I want the same Alden Neocork sole and Thomas heel as Alden factory original. If people reply to this thread that their Alden restoration/resole did not change the fit I will send Alden a pair of 8 year old 405's.
If people reply that the fit changed significantly I will probably just keep wearing the boots and forget about any resole/restoration.
The change shouldn't be signifcant if there is any from the rewelting people think Alden does. The best thing is to ask Alden if they rewelt with the job, if they don't fit shouldn't change.

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
4B53B9C6-3BA4-4C29-BAF9-7AF4B01F260D.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Monday forum pals. Out for the morning to give a big box store some money. Mrs. smfdoc insisted. Happy wife; happy life.

IMG_0365.jpg

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used a high-end cobbler in Los Angeles and he did outstanding work, much better than a factory recraft. He did a sole swap and stiched the new one on by hand, using the same holes that the old sole used, so the sizing didn't change at all. But his prices were so eye-wateringly high that to be honest, I probably won't use him again. I wouldn't spend $500 re-soling a pair of calfskin Indy boots.

I've had AE's recrafted by the factory in the past and the fit did change, but not significantly. I could still wear the shoes, just had to break them in again and they loosened up after a while. Seems like a good idea to ask Alden if the resole will change the fit, or just give the factory resole a try and see what happens.
Who was the cobbler?

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had Alden resole/restore 403s and 975s and I never noticed a difference in fit due to relasting (one of the 975s came out snugger but only because they patched liner at the heel with another piece of leather).

aapmm

Reaction score
So I’ve only worn these twice so far, no rain or scuffing or anything. Do y’all know what’s happening? Did Alden just mess up applying their shell coating?

6697C040-20FA-47B2-9D61-ADD140062F1E.jpeg

I guess I didn’t notice it at first since you can only see it under a lot of light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads