• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega Man

Reaction score
I hope I am not getting in any trouble.
Sky Valet is apparently having an Alden sale at 40% off? Not sure the reason why. Alden never goes on sale like this, no?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sky Valet is apparently having an Alden sale at 40% off? Not sure the reason why. Alden never goes on sale like this, no?
Well, don't know if it's trouble, as they do have it posted on their web site. Took a look, the only things I would be interested in are not available in my size. Oh 405's are sold out, in case anyone was thinking of jumping on Indy's for 40% off.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Same here -- also keep in mind that it's only store credit on returns. I would have snagged the snuff lhs had it been available in my size.

dench127

Reaction score
Sky Valet is going to stop selling Aldens soon. Owner has some other things in mind apparently

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With the Alden DC store only a few blocks away, I think they are dropping Alden altogether. Sky Valet moved from Georgetown to City Center more than a few years ago.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with an @audog type of day, wearing one pair of boots in the morning for my second COVID shot and a different one in the afternoon to pick my daughter up for school.
IMG_3611.jpeg
IMG_3613.jpeg

The Chukkas are the dearly departed Alfred Sargent via Brooks Brothers (Peal and Co.) The Aldens are well known.

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
It’s a chunky look for sure but I like it for sodding around. The five eye feels and looks just like the big brother. There is a six eye through TSM I haven’t tried. But I expect that fits a little different on the instep. I suppose there only leaves two options for bluchers, an Indy stitch toe or a plain toe. I can’t imagine any other pattern on it.

My understanding is that the 5 eyelet TSM was very loose in the heel, but I was always intrigued by a Truebalance Indy shoe. I bit the bullet and ordered B&Ms Orcas Truebalance shoe with commando soles, 270 welt and Earth Reverse Chamois leather. I was prepared for a very loose fit in the heel, because my Indy/commando 360 welt boot is a little loose with my orthotic in it. I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Well, I was shocked. The fit was outstanding with the orthotic in place, perhaps the best fitting shoe with orthotic I have ever owned. You can see in the attached, the rear is definitely trim, and foothole is really tapered, so that it looks like the top half of a soft boiled egg shell knocked off. The width of the commando heel is also quite trim, more similar to a Thomas heel on the Indy as compared to the typical Commando.

I really believe a lot of thought was put into this. They definitely played with the fit to make a boot last behave properly with a shoe. I can recommend this to anyone wearing orthotics and wants a lot of room in the toes and a snug fit about the heel. Its easily as snug fitting as my 379X boots (which I love).
IMG_3848.jpg

GGMac

Reaction score

Well…didn’t really “need“ any new chukkas but I’ve always wanted a pair of the classic unlined suede 2 eyelet chukkas from Alden and the 1494’s (tan) happened to be available in my size. Could not resist the price and pulled the trigger.

Appreciate the heads up BTW.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly as you diagnosed. Cigar Plaza U-tip (Indy, but not). Alden DC ran them last year as Mocha, but the order was split when the Mocha shell ran out and the second half of the order came back as Cigar.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really enjoy seeing what B+M is doing with the Indy shoes. I hope they do well and continue doing unique make ups with it. Hoping black shell will come around.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the 5 eyelet TSM was very loose in the heel, but I was always intrigued by a Truebalance Indy shoe. I bit the bullet and ordered B&Ms Orcas Truebalance shoe with commando soles, 270 welt and Earth Reverse Chamois leather. I was prepared for a very loose fit in the heel, because my Indy/commando 360 welt boot is a little loose with my orthotic in it. I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Well, I was shocked. The fit was outstanding with the orthotic in place, perhaps the best fitting shoe with orthotic I have ever owned. You can see in the attached, the rear is definitely trim, and foothole is really tapered, so that it looks like the top half of a soft boiled egg shell knocked off. The width of the commando heel is also quite trim, more similar to a Thomas heel on the Indy as compared to the typical Commando.

I really believe a lot of thought was put into this. They definitely played with the fit to make a boot last behave properly with a shoe. I can recommend this to anyone wearing orthotics and wants a lot of room in the toes and a snug fit about the heel. Its easily as snug fitting as my 379X boots (which I love).
View attachment 1609931
Nice pick up, those are sweet! Dig the blind eyes and commando. I think TSM are 6 eye but maybe they ran both 5 and 6. Anyway, you’ll love the reverse chamois, it’s a great leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads