• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwoms

Reaction score
View attachment 1603599

May 2021: Spring Blossoms

Gentlemen, I wanted to kick off May 2021’s monthly topic. This is our second seasonal themed topic, following our Winter Wonderland theme. Take all the time that you need to think of your personal response, as you got all month to work on a post that suits you and captures your thoughts, so no need to rush to post a response today!

Spring is just a truly exquisite time of year (well except for allergies), but the beautiful flowers are in bloom and growth is all around us. What are the Alden's that you equate with spring time? Do you start pulling out your loafer collection and suedes or day you hold back until the heat of summer? Look forward to seeing what everyone's favorite Springtime Alden!

Please reply to this post to make your responses easier to see. Thank you so much and I very much look forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts (and I am sure discussions) this month!

-Mike
greetings forum folks, this is my first post here! all the great photos and posts have been very entertaining and inspiring.

Not much in my collection to share for the topic, but why not contribute anyways? For Spring, I'm definitely looking forward to wearing my #8 antique edge LHS in the warmer weather. I think some suede loafers will be in my future, though..

stepped out in my first Alden purchase, these 2160s today. love the look of #8 in the sun, easy to see why it's such a classic.
IMG_6257.jpg

Bavo

Reaction score
I held out on getting the LHS for a long time due to concerns about fit. But I am really enjoying my recent 986's. The heel slipping is gone, and they feel great. Thanks to all here who helped give me advice. This is a great community, and I am glad to have found it!

051321.jpg

Ginuwine

Reaction score
I held out on getting the LHS for a long time due to concerns about fit. But I am really enjoying my recent 986's. The heel slipping is gone, and they feel great. Thanks to all here who helped give me advice. This is a great community, and I am glad to have found it!

View attachment 1609204

Oh what were your experience and resolution with the heel slippage? Please share!

BTW THOSE LOOK AMAZING!!! Grail for me!

Bavo

Reaction score
Oh what were your experience and resolution with the heel slippage? Please share!

BTW THOSE LOOK AMAZING!!! Grail for me!
I ended up going 1/2 size down (10.5D) from Brannock (11D). Years ago I had tried on both and felt the heel slip was far too much. My only simple option for trying on now is at a local retailer that carries C width only for the LHS. The 10.5C was way too tight, and the 11C just felt off, not too much slip but like I was sliding some. I ordered 10.5D online, and when I got them, the heel slip was significant, giving me a flashback. I thought about sending them back. The advice I got here beforehand was that if it feels OK in the strap and toe, the slip will go away with wear. That has been accurate. Now the shoe just feels very comfortable. It is as though it is almost too loose, but not, and I feel like I hardly notice it. At the end of a full day I have no discomfort whatsoever. I hope that helps!

adschus

Reaction score
Sizing guidance question. I'm a 10.5 on the aberdeen last (Suede tassel loafers). I'm interested in LHS and specifically the
17831F. Have others sized down a half size from the Aberdeen last to the Van last as is suggested on a few sites?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DG123

Reaction score
Possibly a dumb question - Is this the latest Alden catalog? Link taken directly from Alden's website.

The catalogue you linked is from 2018. As madhat previously wrote, the two Alden company owned stores have on their store websites the current stock Alden models.
Sizing guidance question. I'm a 10.5 on the aberdeen last (Suede tassel loafers). I'm interested in LHS and specifically the
17831F. Have others sized down a half size from the Aberdeen last to the Van last as is suggested on a few sites?

I suggest telephoning one of the stores and if the store employee suggests to you a size for the model 17831F you could ask him to send you same for try-on-for-size purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads