• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to go back to his post, but yea. Those color 8 are truly superb. Issue is for me is that I have moved away from Cordovan and focusing on CXL and grained leathers.
Yeah it’s a lighter leather, not so warm. Did you say the neocork is darker? I hadn’t even noticed that, that’s a new one!

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Yeah it’s a lighter leather, not so warm. Did you say the neocork is darker? I hadn’t even noticed that, that’s a new one!
I would suggest that it is. But I may be wrong! But see what I mean below.
Pic of my 4 year old 403s which have been through snow etc. and the repost for posterity sake. Let me know...
20210205_145207.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

adrs1157

Reaction score
Exactly the same problem on TB and barrie for me...I found truflare last tend to be better as the toebox tilting slightly outward. However, truflare discontinued?

Ugh it's such an awful feeling. No issues with any other lasts except TB. have a pair on Barrie but I've ended up just stretching that area out with wear (roughout leather). Barrie's not great for me either.

Ealdwine is doing some Hampton boot make-ups.

I'd love to order from Ealdwine but I'm in Canada :)

Speaking of uncommon boot lasts, Brogue has a pair of Color 8 u tips on Copley. Never seen a Copley boot before

Ok that's an awesome boot. I love the shape of Copley, just wish it had a bit of support. Feels very flat.

Speaking of Copley,

Tan suede derbies on Copley last! Derosa pattern. The suede is waxed and matted down, that's why it has a nubuck look and creases in the forefoot:

20210512_012123.jpg

20210509_011632.jpg

20210509_011603.jpg

20210512_012112.jpg

X_dSF

Reaction score
Ugh it's such an awful feeling. No issues with any other lasts except TB. have a pair on Barrie but I've ended up just stretching that area out with wear (roughout leather). Barrie's not great for me either.

I'd love to order from Ealdwine but I'm in Canada :)

Ok that's an awesome boot. I love the shape of Copley, just wish it had a bit of support. Feels very flat.

Speaking of Copley,

Tan suede derbies on Copley last! Derosa pattern. The suede is waxed and matted down, that's why it has a nubuck look and creases in the forefoot:

View attachment 1608442

View attachment 1608443

View attachment 1608444

View attachment 1608445
Darn this pair ages great. Got the same pair from TSM seconds late fall last year so don't have a chance wearing them around (again plea guilty on too less worn). It's also my favorite variation (in color and texture) of tan suede.

Attachments

• IMG_20201005_235452 (1).jpg
    IMG_20201005_235452 (1).jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 22

adrs1157

Reaction score
Darn this pair ages great. Got the same pair from TSM seconds late fall last year so don't have a chance wearing them around (again plea guilty on too less worn). It's also my favorite variation (in color and texture) of tan suede.
Yes! Those look great. I ended up waxing mine because I wear jeans with them and indigo dye got all over them. Uniformity was gone, unable to clean it off properly and the tan suede is just so light. Wasn't happy with the look.

Waxing did the trick for me. It darkened the suede and now develops burnishing and patinas more aggressively. For how I wear them, it's perfect.

Now I need to get my hands on the colour 8 pair somehow.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, back to boots and shoes please ?
I am just too excited for these Ravello Indys...generally I limit myself to 4 pics but cant help myself here. Still in the honeymoon phase with these boots.
Switched out the flat laces as it's too much effort to keep them untwisted and it bothers my mild OCD. Think these laces are a good match (they came with a pair of Viberg boots).
Denim cuffed just for these pics.

View attachment 1608414 View attachment 1608415 View attachment 1608416 View attachment 1608417 View attachment 1608418 View attachment 1608419 View attachment 1608420
Sorry for spamming with pics ?
Exceptional!

barutanseijin

Reaction score
hot take: my favorite aldens right now are all on Trubalance. Thoughts?

I like Trubalance, but it’s hard to choose between the lasts that work. Comfort is comfort!

I wore my CXL LHS yesterday and those just fit perfectly. On the other hand, nothing beats the all day comfort of Barrie on double leather. Modified is a great fit for me, maybe a little better than Trubalance because there’s more room for my toes.

DG123

Reaction score
I like Trubalance, but it’s hard to choose between the lasts that work. Comfort is comfort!

I wore my CXL LHS yesterday and those just fit perfectly.

Which last was used to produce your pair of CXL LHS ?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My understanding is that Alden has used the Truebalance last primarily for Indy boots. For that boot I believe the over the ankle height combined with 9 eyelets/hooks contributes as much to the good fitting characteristics as does the last.
Several years ago I think Alden included in their stock line a low cut shoe produced on the Truebalance last, and some people referred to that one as the "Indy shoe", but it did not stay within the line for more than a few years. Also, I guess some retailers in recent years have offered a Truebalance lasted "Indy shoe make up". I've never worn a pair of Truebalance lasted low cut footwear so I will not comment on how the last fits and, or, looks for a low cut shoe.
So, my thinking is that the Truebalance last is a proven good fit for the Indy boot pattern but for low cut footwear the last has not had widespread use and, or, been especially popular. I am curious to know why Alden has chosen to produce so many low cut shoes using the Barrie last instead of the Truebalance last.

I have one of the early Indy shoes that had 5 eyelets. I noticed the later ones moved to 6 eyelets, which supports the theory about fit issues on the shoe versions. I know mine feel a little loose and I would not mind having the 6 eyelets.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do not believe I've seen a five eyelet Truebalance lasted shoe. Is it essentially the same "Indy shoe" low cut pattern that Shoe Mart sells , but with 5 eyelets rather than 6 ?

Yes, the 5 eyelet was sold through TSM and then later changed to their current 6 eyelet version. Here is the older version on TB.

IMG_0084 2.jpg

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been eyeing a pair of Color 8 Shell 9-eyelet straight tip boots from B&M and was wondering if anyone has these and could share some pics of them?
View attachment 1608462
Good call—I’ll be pre-ordering when the option becomes available (I’m a eee). These are great. I love the 9 eyelets. I just got (March delivery) the Fourth Ave from Yenni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads