• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrs1157

Reaction score
we get it -- you have enough money to buy as many shoes as anyone else on the thread but you don't because you're a humble denizen of new york city with a small apartment (despite being able to afford a larger one) who walks or takes the subway everywhere. you like wearing the shoes you have, that's great, but you don't need to come on here and be all holier than thou to guys like Mike who make this community what it is. we put up with your constant sizing novellas and indecision over which shoes you should try (and inevitably return) next, the least you can do is be nice.
?

I rather enjoy the heat @NYCTechNerd brings to the thread. But I'm 100% with you about Mike. He's far too kind of a person for anyone to badmouth.

Or maybe let Mike defend himself ?

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
?

I rather enjoy the heat @NYCTechNerd brings to the thread. But I'm 100% with you about Mike. He's far too kind of a person for anyone to badmouth.

Or maybe let Mike defend himself ?

I'll be clear, either people misunderstood my earlier post, or I did not write it clearly, but in no way was it meant to insult @mdubs. It was actually meant to highlight the fact that he has an impressive, well curated, and well cared for collection. It's too bad that some people (or one person) assumed I was insulting him.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the sense that you read tone into a post where there is none and you are defending a person who does not need to be defended against something that did not actually happen.

And your post is funny, as well as timely, because I was just discussing via PM with another member who has benn here a very long time how annoying forum members can be when they make assumptions about others such as you are doing in your post; thankfully you have proven my point.

I am not sure who made you arbiter of cultural norms and what is allowed (or not allowed) on SF but glad you have decided to take on the role so all of us plebeians can bow at your knowledge and as you share advice from your ivory tower.
I'll be clear, either people misunderstood my earlier post, or I did not write it clearly, but in no way was it meant to insult @mdubs. It was actually meant to highlight the fact that he has an impressive, well curated, and well cared for collection. It's too bad that some people (or one person) assumed I was insulting him.

ok

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little loose grain is ok, SUPER loose grain can get ugly, depending on the color of CXL.

I agree. I had a pair of 403s and they looked pretty rough after barely any wear. Not as bad as on some colors though.

1620772778285.jpeg

1620772801249.jpeg

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the sense that you read tone into a post where there is none and you are defending a person who does not need to be defended against something that did not actually happen.

And your post is funny, as well as timely, because I was just discussing via PM with another member who has benn here a very long time how annoying forum members can be when they make assumptions about others such as you are doing in your post; thankfully you have proven my point.

I am not sure who made you arbiter of cultural norms and what is allowed (or not allowed) on SF but glad you have decided to take on the role so all of us plebeians can bow at your knowledge and as you share advice from your ivory tower.

I for one cast my vote for JSO1 to be the arbiter of cultural norms. He isn’t trained in color theory from one of the top universities in the world but all of his other qualifications check out.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not like being called out especially when I did not do what I am being accused of doing. I clearly stated "Not picking on him..."

Even after I wrote "while I especially appreciate almost all the shoes @mdubs posts [as well as others], I die a little more each time when I notice how "pristine" they are compared to mine."

It was a complement of his collection and how he cares for them and not my fault that you read it as a dig.

ok

adrs1157

Reaction score
@NYCTechNerd the tone of your snippet

* And yes, while I especially appreciate almost all the shoes @mdubs posts [as well as others], I die a little more each time when I notice how "pristine" they are compared to mine. Not picking on him but rather all the suburbanites who do not actually "walk" in their shoes.

Absolutely is derogatory and the fact that you specifically targeted Mike's posts and collection means that yes, you insulted him.

Honestly though just speak your mind. It's an open forum. Just be ready for some criticism is all ?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slowly coming around on darker denim. Paired here with my Ravello splits......

20210511_Selvedge&Shell5.jpg
20210511_Selvedge&Shell4.jpg

I get more excited about these shoes with every crease, mild scrape, and other indications of wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads