• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love shell boots and shoes. I love suede boots and shoes. But, if I was told you could only have one pair of boots or shoes for the rest of your life, they may not be this pair, but I'm pretty certain I'd choose CXL. View attachment 1608255

i have very few pairs in CXL but i absolutely love the ones i have

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have very few pairs in CXL but i absolutely love the ones i have
I know I bitched about damage to shoes/boots first time I wear them, should have qualified that to things like shell and scotch grain and calf. CXL actually looks better, to me, with graining and some scuffs and such. I think I'm crazy ;)

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Yep. Honestly, I like the feel of it. I can't explain in any better than that.

I think the CXL LHS are the most comfortable version. I like the look, too.

(Not that it’s stopped me from acquiring a bunch of LHS in shell)

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please DO NOT leave or I will be alone and whereas you have been here 10 years, I have only been here a few months. I will never have as many pairs of shoes as anyone on this thread and it is not because I cannot afford them. I have always tried to live a simple life and for the past 25+ years, I was the guy who only had 2 pair of nice dress shoes; 1 brown and 1 black. I often also had a causal brown suede PTB and a Dirty Buck but they were always the crappy quality throw away kind.

My 9503 and 9794 are rather new so give me some time before the city sidewalks have their way with them and then we can be kindred spirits. As you may know, I am also working on getting some calfskin and/or CXL shoes so give it a few weeks for me to get them, wear them, have them ruined by city sidewalks, and then I can start posting pictures of my beat up of shoes so you will not feel so bad*.

It is not that I do not care for my shoes, but all of them will get permanent "city patina" soon enough.

Here is a little something to keep you occupied for now...

* And yes, while I especially appreciate almost all the shoes @mdubs posts [as well as others], I die a little more each time when I notice how "pristine" they are compared to mine. Not picking on him but rather all the suburbanites who do not actually "walk" in their shoes.

we get it -- you have enough money to buy as many shoes as anyone else on the thread but you don't because you're a humble denizen of new york city with a small apartment (despite being able to afford a larger one) who walks or takes the subway everywhere. you like wearing the shoes you have, that's great, but you don't need to come on here and be all holier than thou to guys like Mike who make this community what it is. we put up with your constant sizing novellas and indecision over which shoes you should try (and inevitably return) next, the least you can do is be nice.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The saddle is one of the best CXL's out there, you know the story of my pair. Brown Indy is no slouch either.

it also helps that both of these pairs ended up with fairly tight grain. i don't love the look of super loose grain on CXL.

icasio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Color 4s just landed. Not too shabby.
B40A2377.jpeg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Love those saddle NSTs. I've tried two pairs of traditional saddles in the past -- a vintage shell two tone hanover and a vintage shark florsheim and could not seem to get either pair into my rotation for various reasons.

I am pretty confident that the nst saddle would do it for me. I didn't realize you were responsible for the design. Well done, sir!

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the 80s style DateJust both my father and uncle have and why I wanted a more modern variation of the same theme. These are my sport and non-sport watches (purchased new many years ago from authorized dealers): 1994 Explorer II Polar 40mm and 2010 DateJust 36mm.

View attachment 1608249

Midsize watches deserve more hype. Since about 15 years ago everything is 42mm and larger. 36mm is the perfect size on many wrists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads