• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Natural CXL Indys today.
Changed the lacing pattern and the light beige lace has picked up some colour from the eyelets/hooks.
Pics in direct sunlight, daylight and office lights.
20210511_084403.jpg
20210511_084425.jpg
20210511_102744.jpg
20210511_102811.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy V tip Tuesday forum pals.

IMG_0343.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

You have one of the other true classics with the super jubilee bracelet, white gold fluted bezel, and silver dial.

My father and uncle both have similar 36mm steel/yellow-gold DateJusts, jubilee bracelet, flutted bezel, and champagne dials. I wanted something different and modern so I opted for a smooth bezel, white dial, and oyster bracelet. I have had it just over 10 years and it recently came back from its first service which is why it looks so new and shiny.

You're welcome!

I was hot and heavy after the silver dial... It was not easy to find. The Super Jubilee is so comfortable, it's unreal.

The yellow-steel is the original Datejust look with the champagne dial! Such a nice model that wears everything well.

Wow, you would have no idea that it's 10 years old; it looks great! Mine is from circa 2010 and hardly looks worn, so hopefully I'll have a number of years of wear before I service it.

at one time, on this and other SF shoe threads, there was a raft of manhole cover photos. Was a thing for a while.

Yes, I remember that... Funny how things come and go.

@savvysartorial, this is probably one of the reasons Brooks Brothers has not yet restarted the MTM dress shirt program because they are too busy chasing an even younger customer that they will never get and this campaign will only lead to the next bankruptcy. One of these days I hope someone at BB realizes that history keeps repeating itself in the same way: chase younger clients you will never get, alienate more long term customers, heavily discount all trendy merchandise that younger customers never wanted and long time customers think is ridiculous, declare bankruptcy, get bought out by someone else who thinks they can save the company, and then start the process all over again. :brick:

View attachment 1607961
View attachment 1607963

YIKES! Thanks for the tag. Those getups are dreadful... I certainly hope MTM makes a certain a some point or the Alden x BB like you mentioned as well.

Good God, those are ugly clothes

Agreed! I just don't even see that demographic wearing these clothes. I have no idea where one would even wear that stuff....

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Path of least resistance?

These were on the closet floor from the last time I wore them. Good enough reason to wear them today.
20210511_091543.jpg
20210511_091546.jpg
20210511_091549.jpg

Same with watch...
Wound and running - good enough.
20210511_144720.jpg

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
View attachment 1608203
My many decades old two tone.. served me very well throughout the years.. unless I am strapping on a sport watch .. it’s my daily driver..

That's the 80s style DateJust both my father and uncle have and why I wanted a more modern variation of the same theme. These are my sport and non-sport watches (purchased new many years ago from authorized dealers): 1994 Explorer II Polar 40mm and 2010 DateJust 36mm.

16570 and DateJust.jpg

Last edited:

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For @audog, please pay special attention to the left shoe (right side in the picture) and you will notice the scuffs on the edge and the suede near the toe which happened after less than 5 wears. Give it time and they will have the full "city patina" which includes human waste, bird poop, sewer water, multiple permanent scuffs/scars from all the debris lining the streets due to the non-stop construction. Add in a few elevator doors with their own agenda and escalators that love to chew up shoes, especially the more expensive kind, and my shoes will have the normal battle scars of city life.

This discussion reminded me of another experience. My wife went to Ferragamo a few years ago and asked the SA (who has helped her mother and aunt for more than 20 years) to try on a shoe. He replied: I will not sell you this shoe. My wife inquired as to why not and the SA replied: I only sell this shoe to ladies with a car and driver who have never seen the inside of a taxi or ridden the subway. Maybe your mother (who lives in Connecticut) or your Aunt (who lives in Delaware) but not you. You walk in your shoes so we need to get you something that will not fall apart so quickly. He also reminded her to get rubber sole protectors on any shoe that she purchased from him at the only cobbler he trusted who happened to be in NJ.

Anyone know the color match for "antique" edging on Aldens because I do not have the correct (Saphir) color?

IMG_2645.jpg

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For @audog, please pay special attention to the left shoe (right side in the picture) and you will notice the scuffs on the edge and the suede near the toe which happened after less than 5 wears. Give it time and they will have the full "city patina" which includes human waste, bird poop, sewer water, multiple permanent scuffs/scars from all the debris lining the streets due to the non-stop construction. Add in a few elevator doors with their own agenda and escalators that love to chew up shoes, especially the more expensive kind, and my shoes will have the normal battle scars of city life.

This discussion reminded me of another experience. My wife went to Ferragamo a few years ago and asked the SA (who has helped her mother and aunt for more than 20 years) to try on a shoe. He replied: I will not sell you this shoe. My wife inquired as to why not and the SA replied: I only sell this shoe to ladies with a car and driver who have never seen the inside of a taxi or ridden the subway. Maybe your mother (who lives in CT) or your Aunt (who lives in Delaware) but not you. You walk in your shoes so we need to get you something that will not fall apart so quickly. He also reminded her to get rubber sole protectors on any shoe that she purchased from him at the only cobbler he trusted who happened to be in NJ.

Anyone know the color match for "antique" edging on Aldens because I do not have the correct (Saphir) color?

View attachment 1608253
OK, OK I'll embrace the battle scars I seem to put on footwear with very few wears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads