• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
So many beautiful shoes and boots on this thread...I'm thinking of saying F*ck it and quitting, I can't seem to wear a pair of anything nice with out scuffs, scrapes, damage rendering them less than photogenic, and certainly no where near as beautiful as others on this thread....Am I alone in things like getting a scratch that goes deep on a new pair of color 8 boots? Or wearing beautiful saddle shoes and getting them scraped by the screen door while trying to carry a kid in the house? I try, God knows I try, to keep my footwear nice and keep up with others on this thread, but just can't, never have been able to keep footwear pristine. I may just check out, as it's getting frustrating to me........but I SOOOOOO love to see the shoes/boots of those who CAN keep them looking like first wear, even after years...
Photo of side of color 8 boots, screen door, carrying 5 month old granddaughter and dodging a dog, door wins View attachment 1607272

The times I’ve had scrapes, scratches and scuffs (and water marks) on a pair of Aldens are too numerous to count.

I’m too far down this road to worry about it. Upon seeing any sort of my blemish on my shoes, my brain doesn’t allow me the time to worry about it anymore.

Instead, my brain immediately (and happily) defaults into repair mode.

Usually goes something like this...

Upon seeing a scratch... ??

? Ok. When I get home, I’ll immediately get the deer bone (or sleeking bone) and work it over and then apply some polish and continue to work the deer bone and then brush. Repeat if necessary.

Upon seeing water marks...??

?Ok. When I get home I will brush the area off. Apply some Renovateur. Brush. Apply some polish. Brush. Finish off with chamois.

My wife, upon seeing me notice a blemish on my shoes...??

Oh ****.

???

Shoe care/maintenance is half the fun. ?

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I put a deep scuff into a nice pair of shoes, it’s maddening. I have both the embarrassing event, tripping over a curb, as well as the permanent mark to remember it by. So what I do, is simply rewrite the story line, that it happened during lovemaking. Kind of like how people with leg casts turn into downhill skiers. Voila, it’s now a badge of honor. And an interesting conversation piece.

Tseg

Reaction score
Bummer, after about 6 months and a couple dozen wears the stitching on my 4515H is starting to give way. I sent an email into Alden... we'll see how they respond.

4515H 2.jpg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I put a deep scuff into a nice pair of shoes, it’s maddening. I have both the embarrassing event, tripping over a curb, as well as the permanent mark to remember it by. So what I do, is simply rewrite the story line, that it happened during lovemaking. Kind of like how people with leg casts turn into downhill skiers. Voila, it’s now a badge of honor. And an interesting conversation piece.
you wear your Aldens in the sack? Talk about brand loyalty! ?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Norwester

Reaction score
So many beautiful shoes and boots on this thread...I'm thinking of saying F*ck it and quitting, I can't seem to wear a pair of anything nice with out scuffs, scrapes, damage rendering them less than photogenic, and certainly no where near as beautiful as others on this thread....Am I alone in things like getting a scratch that goes deep on a new pair of color 8 boots? Or wearing beautiful saddle shoes and getting them scraped by the screen door while trying to carry a kid in the house? I try, God knows I try, to keep my footwear nice and keep up with others on this thread, but just can't, never have been able to keep footwear pristine. I may just check out, as it's getting frustrating to me........but I SOOOOOO love to see the shoes/boots of those who CAN keep them looking like first wear, even after years...
Photo of side of color 8 boots, screen door, carrying 5 month old granddaughter and dodging a dog, door wins View attachment 1607272
After seeing ironclad's post #3771 my goal in life has been to wear the crap out of my color 8 cap-toes, weather and dirt be damned. In fact I'm currently eyeing buying a 5 year old pair with a nice fade already going. There is beauty in well-worn shell once you get a certain amount of it; I don't know exactly when the transition from "marred new shoes" to "gorgeous patina" occurs, but I do like it when I see it.

slows2k

Reaction score
After seeing ironclad's post #3771 my goal in life has been to wear the crap out of my color 8 cap-toes, weather and dirt be damned.

Those may be the best looking boots I’ve ever seen; they inspired me to seek out a pair of plain toed shell and do the same. So I started with a pair from ealdwine. It’s slow going, though.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Looking great! That Datejust is killer. The roulette wheel and train tracks around the dial are as classic as they come!

Thank you.

You have one of the other true classics with the super jubilee bracelet, white gold fluted bezel, and silver dial.

My father and uncle both have similar 36mm steel/yellow-gold DateJusts, jubilee bracelet, flutted bezel, and champagne dials. I wanted something different and modern so I opted for a smooth bezel, white dial, and oyster bracelet. I have had it just over 10 years and it recently came back from its first service which is why it looks so new and shiny.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The snuff suede LWBs finally needed a full shampoo cleanup. Gave them some brighter laces and now go back in the bag. Awaiting arrival of some nano spray protector for later.

IMG_0341 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads