• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
For Mother’s Day.
960C51C2-BC1E-4137-BB2F-889B9DB17792.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So many beautiful shoes and boots on this thread...I'm thinking of saying F*ck it and quitting, I can't seem to wear a pair of anything nice with out scuffs, scrapes, damage rendering them less than photogenic, and certainly no where near as beautiful as others on this thread....Am I alone in things like getting a scratch that goes deep on a new pair of color 8 boots? Or wearing beautiful saddle shoes and getting them scraped by the screen door while trying to carry a kid in the house? I try, God knows I try, to keep my footwear nice and keep up with others on this thread, but just can't, never have been able to keep footwear pristine. I may just check out, as it's getting frustrating to me........but I SOOOOOO love to see the shoes/boots of those who CAN keep them looking like first wear, even after years...
Photo of side of color 8 boots, screen door, carrying 5 month old granddaughter and dodging a dog, door wins
IMG_7742.JPG

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many beautiful shoes and boots on this thread...I'm thinking of saying F*ck it and quitting, I can't seem to wear a pair of anything nice with out scuffs, scrapes, damage rendering them less than photogenic, and certainly no where near as beautiful as others on this thread....Am I alone in things like getting a scratch that goes deep on a new pair of color 8 boots? Or wearing beautiful saddle shoes and getting them scraped by the screen door while trying to carry a kid in the house? I try, God knows I try, to keep my footwear nice and keep up with others on this thread, but just can't, never have been able to keep footwear pristine. I may just check out, as it's getting frustrating to me........but I SOOOOOO love to see the shoes/boots of those who CAN keep them looking like first wear, even after years...
Photo of side of color 8 boots, screen door, carrying 5 month old granddaughter and dodging a dog, door wins View attachment 1607272
What? Pristine footwear is boring. Patina is life and wabisabi is the only sauce for it. Those nicks and scrapes and scuffs and marks make a shoe better.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Photo of side of color 8 boots, screen door, carrying 5 month old granddaughter and dodging a dog, door wins View attachment 1607272

Please DO NOT leave or I will be alone and whereas you have been here 10 years, I have only been here a few months. I will never have as many pairs of shoes as anyone on this thread and it is not because I cannot afford them. I have always tried to live a simple life and for the past 25+ years, I was the guy who only had 2 pair of nice dress shoes; 1 brown and 1 black. I often also had a causal brown suede PTB and a Dirty Buck but they were always the crappy quality throw away kind.

My 9503 and 9794 are rather new so give me some time before the city sidewalks have their way with them and then we can be kindred spirits. As you may know, I am also working on getting some calfskin and/or CXL shoes so give it a few weeks for me to get them, wear them, have them ruined by city sidewalks, and then I can start posting pictures of my beat up of shoes so you will not feel so bad*.

It is not that I do not care for my shoes, but all of them will get permanent "city patina" soon enough.

Here is a little something to keep you occupied for now...
IMG_2348.jpg

* And yes, while I especially appreciate almost all the shoes @mdubs posts [as well as others], I die a little more each time when I notice how "pristine" they are compared to mine. Not picking on him but rather all the suburbanites who do not actually "walk" in their shoes.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys are making me feel better, and the shoes/boots are my hobby, so will stay around, but DAMN IT, it bothers me to damage stuff like shell after one wear. Trying to sell something on B/S/T thread and a member I totally like and respect, says too much wear for him....****, I tried to take care of them for all of the 10 or so wears......Oh well. Now to figure out how to get rid of scrapes on shell that go a couple layers deep....

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
You guys are making me feel better, and the shoes/boots are my hobby, so will stay around, but DAMN IT, it bothers me to damage stuff like shell after one wear. Trying to sell something on B/S/T thread and a member I totally like and respect, says too much wear for him....****, I tried to take care of them for all of the 10 or so wears......Oh well. Now to figure out how to get rid of scrapes on shell that go a couple layers deep....

Sending you a PM to cheer you up, bud.... give me just a few minutes.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Again, I am new here but I think their is an expectation that used = new and I blame social media as well as the car companies who came up with the idea of pre-owned because it sets up an unrealistic expectation for buyers. I have seen the same thing with cars and watches in the past 10 years and why my wife and I will only trade-in cars to a dealership and do not bother with a private sale [same with watches] even if I get less money because the "tire kickers" waste my time and time = money.

I sent a PM about the so-called scar. Use it as a reminder of what a great afternoon you had with a loved one rather than as a reminder of a now imperfect object. As Richard Sachs says: Imperfection is Perfection.

Last edited:

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
401 Indys in US13D with polyester laces in dark/light grey from Decathlon....visually it seems black but in pictures the grey comes out clearly.
The laces are tied over on themselves after the initial berluti knot so they dont peek out from under the pants.
20210510_104803.jpg
20210510_104635.jpg
20210510_104718.jpg
20210510_104612.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Monday forum pals. Off to Costco for some provisions. I hope the three gallon jug of Bick 4 is in stock. Dog and a drink for lunch. The seldom seen 6 eyelet, perfed cap toe chukka for the trip.

IMG_0333.jpg

DG123

Reaction score
401 Indys in US13D with polyester laces in dark/light grey from Decathlon....visually it seems black but in pictures the grey comes out clearly.
The laces are tied over on themselves after the initial berluti knot so they dont peek out from under the pants.
View attachment 1607387 View attachment 1607388 View attachment 1607389 View attachment 1607390
I've ordered a pair of the 401's and am looking forward to rotating them in my wardrobe next to the 405's I've worn for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads