• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mothers day, 45 Degrees F, raining and we are heading to Garden Store
IMG_7735.JPG
to look at plants

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are you? And have you tried/owned any of the shoes I listed?

I’m a 8.5D length, but because I have long arches, I Brannock at 9D. Narrowish heels, standard D in front, low to medium volume, medium high instep. Haven’t tried any of the other shoe brands you mentioned but I’m familiar with Allen Edmonds. Impossible to find someone with your exact foot dimensions to obtain precise advice. Unfortunately, it’s trial and error or get to a store to try on. Copley is generally a good last if you often experience heel slippage. Preowned is a cheaper method to try and many a catch-and-release on the Alden Buy Sell thread. Also, if you’re new to the brand, there are slight differences in sizing based on upper material; suede and calf are lasted a little tighter than shell. I can usually get away with a half size either way and lately have been sizing up a half and using a memory foam insole to soak up the difference rather than having to go through any type of break in. Consider the thickness of your socks you’ll be wearing if any as well.

DG123

Reaction score
I’m a 8.5D length, but because I have long arches, I Brannock at 9D. Narrowish heels, standard D in front, low to medium volume, medium high instep. Haven’t tried any of the other shoe brands you mentioned but I’m familiar with Allen Edmonds. Impossible to find someone with your exact foot dimensions to obtain precise advice. Unfortunately, it’s trial and error or get to a store to try on. Copley is generally a good last if you often experience heel slippage. Preowned is a cheaper method to try and many a catch-and-release on the Alden Buy Sell thread. Also, if you’re new to the brand, there are slight differences in sizing based on upper material; suede and calf are lasted a little tighter than shell. I can usually get away with a half size either way and lately have been sizing up a half and using a memory foam insole to soak up the difference rather than having to go through any type of break in. Consider the thickness of your socks you’ll be wearing if any as well.

Have you tried pairs of Alden in a C width or B width ? Sometimes going longer in length with a more narrow width can result in a good fit.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried pairs of Alden in a C width or B width ? Sometimes going longer in length with a more narrow width can result in a good fit.
I have not. Typically, D width fits me fine up front and that’s what I shoot for. The biggest variance for me is above the toes as in Barrie and TruBalance but the cushion insoles work wonders for that. Sometimes heel fit (I’m looking at you Van last) and I’m resigned to the fact that I love the LHS model so much that I’m willing to sacrifice a little slippage at first until the shoe can break in and mold to my heel better. And even then there is still sometimes a little bit of slippage but I tell myself it’s a casual style and it’s ok to live with a somewhat casual fit.

DG123

Reaction score

I have not. Typically, D width fits me fine up front and that’s what I shoot for. The biggest variance for me is above the toes as in Barrie and TruBalance but the cushion insoles work wonders for that. Sometimes heel fit (I’m looking at you Van last) and I’m resigned to the fact that I love the LHS model so much that I’m willing to sacrifice a little slippage at first until the shoe can break in and mold to my heel better. And even then there is still sometimes a little bit of slippage but I tell myself it’s a casual style and it’s ok to live with a somewhat casual fit.

Well, if you ever try on an Alden size 9.5B width I would be curious to know your opinion of the fit. For myself I've found sizing up in length combined with a narrow width definitely takes care of achieving a good fit at the heel. At the ball of the foot the extra long length size (remember, a longer size means the place within the shoe/boot that the ball of the foot meets the interior of the upper changes as well ) makes the B width at the ball o.k. , and extra length/space at the toe area is fine because the good fit is happening at the heel and ball area.
Anyway, if you ever do try on a pair of 9.5B please post here your opinion of the fit. At the ball area I expect the fit will be similar to what you get from your 8.5D. The significant difference I believe will be your heel fit and the bit of extra length beyond your toes.

Reactions: AHS

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not to derail or sidetrack this thread, but the Mark XII had perfect proportions. It was the hit of the watch world before the large diameter watches became all the rage. I like the subsequent larger Mark models much less than the XII. I actually have a Mark XII EF, which is a limited edition titanium version of the Mark XII with a midnight blue dial and some other differences, including no date and silver markers. But, the proportions are identical. EF happen to be my initials, so how could I pass up the watch once I found a version for sale.

I am awaiting a new strap from Camille Fournet. Here is the stock photo.

IWC_MARK_XII_ef-2.jpg

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to derail or sidetrack this thread, but the Mark XII had perfect proportions. It was the hit of the watch world before the large diameter watches became all the rage. I like the subsequent larger Mark models much less than the XII. I actually have a Mark XII EF, which is a limited edition titanium version of the Mark XII with a midnight blue dial and some other differences, including no date and silver markers. But, the proportions are identical. EF happen to be my initials, so how could I pass up the watch once I found a version for sale.

I am awaiting a new strap from Camille Fournet. Here is the stock photo.

View attachment 1607219

never saw an EF version. does the EF have the JLC movement as well?

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you ever try on an Alden size 9.5B width I would be curious to know your opinion of the fit. For myself I've found sizing up in length combined with a narrow width definitely takes care of achieving a good fit at the heel. At the ball of the foot the extra long length size (remember, a longer size means the place within the shoe/boot that the ball of the foot meets the interior of the upper changes as well ) makes the B width at the ball o.k. , and extra length/space at the toe area is fine because the good fit is happening at the heel and ball area.
Anyway, if you ever do try on a pair of 9.5B please post here your opinion of the fit. At the ball area I expect the fit will be similar to what you get from your 8.5D. The significant difference I believe will be your heel fit and the bit of extra length beyond your toes.
Definitely will. I’ve done my fair share of trial and error but the only larger retail store I’ve visited was Madison and while I was mainly focused on various last fits, I didn’t consider alternate widths at that time. I think the best stores to visit if you wanted to spend all day getting your lasts and sizing (including widths) nailed down would be, San Francisco, D.C., and The Shoe Mart, just because of their enormous selection. If you’ve been around here for any length of time, you’ve heard it time and time again (because it’s true) that it’s cheaper to book air and hotel to one of those locations and get fitted in person than to buy and sell your way through this addiction.

DG123

Reaction score
Definitely will. I’ve done my fair share of trial and error but the only larger retail store I’ve visited was Madison and while I was mainly focused on various last fits, I didn’t consider alternate widths at that time. I think the best stores to visit if you wanted to spend all day getting your lasts and sizing (including widths) nailed down would be, San Francisco, D.C., and The Shoe Mart, just because of their enormous selection. If you’ve been around here for any length of time, you’ve heard it time and time again (because it’s true) that it’s cheaper to book air and hotel to one of those locations and get fitted in person than to buy and sell your way through this addiction.

I believe Shoe Mart is willing to ship you a pair or two of 9.5B to try for sizing. The SF store might do that as well.
These days that's about $40 worth of shipping costs both ways. I am not sure which Alden styles/models interest you, but B width is somewhat limited. For example , at any given time Alden SF probably has a 9.5B in stock for about a dozen different shoe/boot models/patterns.
The Alden SF website permits a viewer to search by size-width, which is a great service:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
never saw an EF version. does the EF have the JLC movement as well?

Unfortunately, no. The EF and GL along with version had an ETA movement, upgraded to IWC specs. I'm not sure about the SAAB limited edition. I have the Ingenieur 3521 also, which has the JLC movement, but with gold plating and high level finishing, a platinum rotor, and several other upgrades. Walt Odets once transferred the Ingenieur movement to his Platinum Mark XII and gave it a display back. Here's the movement upgrade and other tinkering he did.

Tweaking the Mark XII by Walt Odets

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Shoe Mart is willing to ship you a pair or two of 9.5B to try for sizing. The SF store might do that as well.
These days that's about $40 worth of shipping costs both ways. I am not sure which Alden styles/models interest you, but B width is somewhat limited. For example , at any given time Alden SF probably has a 9.5B in stock for about a dozen different shoe/boot models/patterns.
The Alden SF website permits a viewer to search by size-width, which is a great service:

That is a helpful link. I’m pretty comfortable with my sizing schema and the memory insoles right now. I kind of gotten used to the extra plush ride and it has the added benefit of keeping the insoles clean and depression free. That said, if I were to start messing around with my Van last sizing in particular, which is 8.5D, I might entertain a 9C before jumping into a 9.5B. The amount of slipping I get from an 8.5D is not even enough to warrant a heel or tongue pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads