• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello Indys today...
View attachment 1606022

Do people here wear Trubalance Indys with formal trousers ?

If you mean formal white tie or morning dress, absolutely not.

If you mean suits, which aren't formal, also absolutely not.

If you mean cotton chinos, which is what it looks like you are wearing in the photo, yes.

I wear them with heavy wool odd trousers, cotton pants, and jeans. I wouldn't wear them with spring/summer weight wool, either worsted, tropical, or otherwise.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A newly retired resident of PA,
explained to his wife the value of Scotch grain.
She said "you have closets of shell,
suede, calf and Alpine as well,
and this obsession with shoes is making me insane.

Happy Friday

IMG_0296.jpg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you mean cotton chinos, which is what it looks like you are wearing in the photo, yes.

I wear them with heavy wool odd trousers, cotton pants, and jeans. I wouldn't wear them with spring/summer weight wool, either worsted, tropical, or otherwise.
+1 to this

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Happy Friday

View attachment 1606078
Sounds like your bride may be speaking with mine!
Anyway the value of scotch grain is self-evident.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bingo

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Happy Friday

View attachment 1606078

Your "retired" hobby could be golf which is more expensive so give her the choice and see how she responds.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are amazing! Leather sole?

I wore my commando color 8's with formal trousers a few weeks ago. Not my usual, but it worked out nicely.

Commando sole. I need to try the pairing out for myself, thanks.

Heck yeah. Don't get hung up on SF foo-paa's. With Alden shell's, in the overwhelming majority of business settings, you will likely be the best dressed gent in the room, regardless of make or last.

BTW, those Indy"s are amazing!

Thanks! My style is pretty fluid so need to wear the pairing once to decide for myself. Just wanted to have some general opinion.

In tropical Singapore a lot of the above is lost on me. I just meant a dress trouser of certain blends (cotton, light wool or polyester and a mix of those) with a collared button down shirt. Havent worn a tie since high school !

Thanks for the pointers but as I mentioned I will have to try it out for myself...

Last edited:

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

...In tropical Singapore a lot of the above is lost on me. I just meant a dress trouser of certain blends (cotton, light wool or polyester and a mix of those) with a collared button down shirt. Havent worn a tie since high school !

Thanks for the pointers but as I mentioned I will have to try it out for myself...

In many parts of the world formal style dress is lost on most people...

1620391016766.png
1620391031815.png
1620391058223.png

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In many parts of the world formal style dress is lost on most people...

View attachment 1606090 View attachment 1606091 View attachment 1606092
Yeah...those are far too out for me and I cant imagine I would need to attend an event with these dress codes. The most formal I have been on rare occasion is a tailored suit with a plain white shirt. Tie optional and I have managed to avoid it as much as possible. Plus the industry I work also does not require too much formality.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if TSM expressly prohibits flipping rare shell items? I know some of the other shops will black ball customers who flip their rare shoes for a profit.

X_dSF

Reaction score
Does anyone know if TSM expressly prohibits flipping rare shell items? I know some of the other shops will black ball customers who flip their rare shoes for a profit.
Have heard of that but never asked Mr. Z in person...

Seems there's someone doing it on a pair of size 12 on the bay so having the literally same question.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have heard of that but never asked Mr. Z in person...

Seems there's someone doing it on a pair of size 12 on the bay so having the literally same question.

that color 4 looks a lot like my TSM ravello from 2018

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Commando sole. I need to try the pairing out for myself, thanks.

Thanks! My style is pretty fluid so need to wear the pairing once to decide for myself. Just wanted to have some general opinion.

In tropical Singapore a lot of the above is lost on me. I just meant a dress trouser of certain blends (cotton, light wool or polyester and a mix of those) with a collared button down shirt. Havent worn a tie since high school !

No worries. Your boots are terrific. Personally, I think light wool doesn't match well with a stocky work boot. I think with light wool odd trousers, a loafer or blucher is more appropriate. But, cotton definitely fits with it very well.

Remember, the Indy title is a nickname, it's not the name of the boot. The Alden catalog calls the 403, 405, 401, and 404 all the Workboot. Harrison Ford wore his own boots as Indiana Jones because he built sets, essentially as a carpenter- at least that's how the story goes. They aren't intended for wear with nicer trousers. They are for knocking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads